Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I already had an informal visit. Managed to arrange it before the application process was finished. The lab director there was quick to reply and had me visit the following week!

But it was reproductive science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiBo)
    I already had an informal visit. Managed to arrange it before the application process was finished. The lab director there was quick to reply and had me visit the following week!

Where have you applied to for reproductive science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiBo)

Yeah I've already done my lab visits too, made me want it even more now though, fingers extremely crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfptwenty)
    Yeah I've already done my lab visits too, made me want it even more now though, fingers extremely crossed!
    Why has someone negged your post? :confused: People neg for no reason on here....

What happened on your lab visit if you don't me asking? It's just that I'm debating whether or not to arrange a visit because I have work experience in two out of the three disciplines I've applied to (biochem and haematology). So I don't know if there's any point in me going if it's just a tour around a lab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura130490)
    Why has someone negged your post? :confused: People neg for no reason on here....

What happened on your lab visit if you don't me asking? It's just that I'm debating whether or not to arrange a visit because I have work experience in two out of the three disciplines I've applied to (biochem and haematology). So I don't know if there's any point in me going if it's just a tour around a lab.
    Do you know what, I'm glad you said that, I didn't know either, didn't think I said anything offensive :-( but I wasn't going to mention it so thanks :-)

Hum, if you have experience with biochem and haem in the NHS then you know what it will be about so that's a bonus. The only advantage I would say is getting your name known to the people in the group as they might be there at the interview panel and they also help shortlist for interviews. I was there for about 2 hours chatting to the consultant and going around the lab. Was amazing to see it as it was so big with so many people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfptwenty)
    Do you know what, I'm glad you said that, I didn't know either, didn't think I said anything offensive :-( but I wasn't going to mention it so thanks :-)

Hum, if you have experience with biochem and haem in the NHS then you know what it will be about so that's a bonus. The only advantage I would say is getting your name known to the people in the group as they might be there at the interview panel and they also help shortlist for interviews. I was there for about 2 hours chatting to the consultant and going around the lab. Was amazing to see it as it was so big with so many people!
    Yeah I was like huh when I saw the neg because you didn't say anything wrong :confused: People are weird on here.

That sounds good. If I get shortlisted for an interview I'll definitely try and arrange a visit then, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I only had informal visit at south central. I also applied to west midlands and also north west.

I arrived at the place, immediately changed into scrubs and watched them do some egg extractions and also fertilised egg transfers back into patient. Was good to chat with the trainees already there, hear their thoughts and see how the lab is run. But yeah, makes me want the job more!!!!

I've not arranged the visit to the other two places as its costly for me to visit all the places I've applied.

The neg might be accidental when someone tries to quote you. I pressed it on mine once (tried to edit post), but luckily you can't rate your own posts haha!!

ReputationRep:
    i was chatting with NHS Graduate scheme account creator in facebook he said that they will randomly choose and make any candidate whom will attend the interview redo the Numerical & Logical tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 25121982)
    i was chatting with NHS Graduate scheme account creator in facebook he said that they will randomly choose and make any candidate whom will attend the interview redo the Numerical & Logical tests
    "randomly", wouldn't that be bias. surely, the candidates that do not do the test would be at a bigger advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786pk)
    "randomly", wouldn't that be bias. surely, the candidates that do not do the test would be at a bigger advantage.
    Yeah I saw this and agree, they said it was to make sure people hadn't cheated on the test, but if you only "randomly" select a few people then how can you be sure the ones you haven't selected haven't cheated? I think you should either test everyone again or no one at all, testing some people and not others isn't fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura130490)
    Yeah I saw this and agree, they said it was to make sure people hadn't cheated on the test, but if you only "randomly" select a few people then how can you be sure the ones you haven't selected haven't cheated? I think you should either test everyone again or no one at all, testing some people and not others isn't fair.
    totaly agree with you , thats so weired?!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I saw they were saying that on the FB page but I thought that was only for the Graduate Management Training Scheme? Or did you speak to someone directly about the STP?

I understand that they need to do spot checks to ensure the testing is fair, but I agree with everyone else, the way they're going about it is definitely not fair. Candidates not having to resit will be at a huge advantage. As if they weren't stressful enough, now we may have to do them in an assessment centre :O And then have an interview after too! I had a full-on panic attack the day I took them

I'm going to wait and see if I get an interview. If I do, then I'll contact the trusts and ask if I can have a tour the day before the assessment centre as I'm in Sweden. I know they have set days, but they can't realistically expect me to pay for two sets of flights and accommodation just so I can have a quick chat with the consultant!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.
    I have been religiously reading this thread for about 3 weeks now. I am already filled with paranoia about my whole application and most definitely feel like i am completely unexperienced.
    I have applied for microbiology positions at east midlands, south central and west midlands. I have a visit at Nottingham QMC at the end of this month.
    Not seen many microbiology applicanty people on here. I don't know if this is because everyone hates micro or all the micro people don't comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssjay22)
    Hello all.
    I have been religiously reading this thread for about 3 weeks now. I am already filled with paranoia about my whole application and most definitely feel like i am completely unexperienced.
    I have applied for microbiology positions at east midlands, south central and west midlands. I have a visit at Nottingham QMC at the end of this month.
    Not seen many microbiology applicanty people on here. I don't know if this is because everyone hates micro or all the micro people don't comment
    There are a few of us floating about There at least appear to be a few more micro positions available this year than the 4 or 5 last year.

Don't worry too much about your experience as there's obviously not much you can do to change anything like that at this stage. You just have to think how best to get your motivation, dedication and understanding of the NHS across at the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    hi, is there anyone on here that has applied for cardiac science or who has done in the past?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyf89)
    hi, is there anyone on here that has applied for cardiac science or who has done in the past?
    Hi,

i applied for cardiac science aswell as vascular science in london and south central. Im so nervous about my application, really not sure whether I have the right experience. Anyone else apply for the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybolsworth)
    Hi,

i applied for cardiac science aswell as vascular science in london and south central. Im so nervous about my application, really not sure whether I have the right experience. Anyone else apply for the same thing?
    Hi guys I also applied for Cardiac science and really hope to hear good news soon! I am really worried as I only have a degree and some undergraduate lab experience. So many people here seem to have phds and prizes! Don't think I stand a chance now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa101)
    Hi guys I also applied for Cardiac science and really hope to hear good news soon! I am really worried as I only have a degree and some undergraduate lab experience. So many people here seem to have phds and prizes! Don't think I stand a chance now!
    Im exactly the same! Well will have my degree come September. And just have undergraduate lab experience. I read on here that people have got it straight out of uni just with their degree so fingers crossed we will be fine. Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybolsworth)
    Im exactly the same! Well will have my degree come September. And just have undergraduate lab experience. I read on here that people have got it straight out of uni just with their degree so fingers crossed we will be fine. Where did you apply?
    Oh well that brings some positivity to me then I applied to London, west midlands and I can't remember the other area which had 6 posts available, but I applied for all cardiac sciences ones! Really nervous to hear about interviews now fingers crossed we shall get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyf89)
    I've applied for cardiac sciences and I have no experience in that particular area, I've also applied for chemistry and haematology, all in the west mids

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.