Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone with the presentations. I think they'll only be presented to the interview panel, but may be everybody. should imagine that would get boring though! Sorry to hear about Cambridge anna_angel. I never did hear from Sheffield either, presume thats been and gone by now! Hope it all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean anna_angel - it seems a bit daft presenting to people who actually know what they're talking about, when we don't really!

The fact I have a 5 hour train journey on Wednesday night doesn't help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my six hour train journey to reading right now. Free Wi-Fi comes in handy. Now what i'm really wondeirng is wht they're going to do with everybody else whilst some people are being interviewed?

ReputationRep:
    NorthLondon - was that an offer for Cambridge? Congratulations.. I am 3rd reserve for Cambridge but had interview in Notts today and that went much better. Best of luck with your interview for London and everyone else who still have interviews!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just feel like i should update cos you guys all got my through the process haha! I had my interview for toxicology last week and found out yday i didn't get a place. Was gutted but i rang for feedback today and they said i almost got it and that i impressed them but because i had also applied for mol. gen. posts they were concerned i wasn't focussed enough. however, they invited me to reapply next year with some experience, and i've asked if i can go into their lab and do some work...so fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone who is still having interviews and well done everyone who have offers!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Northlondon for Cambridge. My interview went pretty well and I was 1st reserve. However I had an interview for the North West yesterday and I got offered a place. It was my 1st choice so I was overjoyed and I accepted it straight away. I've cancelled my London interview as there doesn't seem any point going.

ReputationRep:
    well done Northlondon and jessthecat! And everybody else with offers. Nice to see everything all happening at once- seemed to take ages for the interviews to come through but things are looking good now. Any other Audiology peeps out there?

ReputationRep:
    jeez al you guys are getting jobs and I haven't heard back from any of my posts! You may be thinking well that's because I haven't been successful but no, none of them have even shortlisted yet grrrr! I fancy my chances tho as not one person on this forum has applied to haematology! lol

ReputationRep:
    I got offered post in East midlands so I accepted as they were so friendly and I got a really good vibe there - I can't wait to start! Best of luck for your London interview NorthLondon - im sure you'll have a high chance of getting it as its what you really want and that will come across in the interview. I really never thought i'd get a place and im over the moon about it. Congratulations to everyone with places and best of luck to everyone still with interviews!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations thirsty. It's so good that lots of us on here are finally beginning to get sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations thirsty and good luck northlondon for your london interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northlondon)
    Hey everyone,

I was offered the job in London so I have accepted it.

Thank you all so much - having this thread has definitely made all the waiting a lot easier.

Good luck to everyone with interviews still to come. I hope you all get your first choices.
    Congratulations, I'm really pleased for you, it's fantastic that you got your first choice.

I completely agree that speaking to others on here made the whole thing a lot easier, especially as I didn't know anybody else that had even heard of the scheme! I hope this thread is therefore also useful for next years applications.

How are everybody elses interviews going?

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview in Reading. It was quite an involved thing, with a small group interview type thing, an exercise in which i got to perform a hearing test on one of the interviewers, a talk, and a personal interview. The actual interview was really short. I didn't feel to nervous, mostly because it went on for so long I kind of just went with it. So didn't feel awful, but not sure my answers were what they wanted. I'm not sure when they'll let me know, not feeling particularily hopeful though

ReputationRep:
    Anna_angel, it sounds like it was quite a busy day. Did you end up having to do the talk just to the interview panel or to a whole group? And how many people did they interview? I agree with northlondon- it's soo hard to tell how an interview went, lets hope it's going to be god news for you. Finger crossed

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Reading as yet? Getting less hopeful!

ReputationRep:
    Well my group ended up as only two people as loads had changed, but we gave our presentations to each other, the interview panel and a bunch of their collegues (including some trainees from previous years). yay :|

And no, I still haven't heard.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I thought I would just post a warning for everyone planning to apply through the Northgate site in future. I had some exteremely bad 'luck' with Northgate.

I applied to four centres for the med phys training scheme. I quadruple-checked each application before I submitted them (and afterwards)! My personal statement took me a week to write and perfect- I doubt I've put that much effort into anything that size ever before.

What actually arrived at each of the centres bore barely any resemblance to what I submitted. The details of my previous jobs and references were there, but all of my qualifications were missing and my 600 word personal statement had been replaced with a fragment of a paragraph from the Northgate website that I had never even seen before!

Even worse, having heard that Northgate was notoriously unreliable, I had previously contacted the (nameless) centres individually and agreed with each to either post a personally-addressed hard copy of the application or email it directly to them so I thought I would be OK even if Nortgate screwed up.

It turns out that at least one of the three centres that didn't interview me still didn't realise the error and connect the garbled application with the intact backup copy I had sent, meaning that they just disregarded it. I haven't heard back from the other two yet.

Fortunately, I got an interview at my local department because the people there knew me personally from having visited a few times and realised that it was a mistake. I just got the call and they offered me a place(!)

At least I can say that it's worked out for me in the end, but no thanks to Northgate! Thankfully, from what I have heard so far, it seems I'm the only one who's had this particular problem, but you can add mine to all the other horror stories.

Basically, beware Northgate has to potential to screw up your life in a massive way, or at the least to derail your career for a year!

My advice to anyone applying through Northgate in future would be to send a backup copy to each centre and to call them and get them to check that the Northgate application has arrived intact.

Don't try to copy and paste from Word or even Notepad because the site's programming just can't cope! Even using a program to emulate keystrokes so as to quickly type in the text of your personal statement would be very risky indeed. Just type it all in by hand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northlondon)
    I have a dilema:

I have two friends who were both on the reserve list for south central and have now been asked to attend an interview. One of them really wants it and wants it to be their career but the other one says she only wants it for a year because then she's going to live in Germany with the guy she is going to marry. I have told them both all of the questions I was asked and the answers I gave to that neither of them has an advantage. The one who only wants it for a year is much more confident and I am sure she will perform better at interview but the other one wants it so much. It just seems so unfair. Should I tell someone about her plan to go to germany or just keep out of it?
    I would definitely keep out of it, it may be that neither of them gets it and then you will feel bad for intervening etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Good point, I think I'll stay out of it, although with all the questions and answers one of them ought to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is true but it is really the girl who plans to go to Germany who should be feeling bad and I am suprised she is going to go for it. If you get involved you may start to feel guilty when you shouldn't have to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.