Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good advice - you've made my mind up. She isn't the type to feel guilty, which is why she is doing this in the first place I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys, I'm hoping to apply for this later in the year and I just wondered how the whole MSc at Surrey worked when you're working in Bristol or somewhere?

I don't see how it's physically possible, can someone tell me what actually happens? I spoke to the Haematology person from Royal Berks but he was a bit useless describing it, I guess it wasn't his thing.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from London micro posts yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Hiya guys, I'm hoping to apply for this later in the year and I just wondered how the whole MSc at Surrey worked when you're working in Bristol or somewhere?

I don't see how it's physically possible, can someone tell me what actually happens? I spoke to the Haematology person from Royal Berks but he was a bit useless describing it, I guess it wasn't his thing.
    I'm not sure for haematology but for clin biochem. it is on a block release basis. You do three 10 week terms over the first two years and while you are there you are offered halls or can get your own accommodation if you like. Some hospitals will pay for you while you are living in these halls so that you don't have to pay rent twice but some wont; it depends how much money the trust has for this type of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northlondon)
    I'm not sure for haematology but for clin biochem. it is on a block release basis. You do three 10 week terms over the first two years and while you are there you are offered halls or can get your own accommodation if you like. Some hospitals will pay for you while you are living in these halls so that you don't have to pay rent twice but some wont; it depends how much money the trust has for this type of thing.
    ahh that's cool, it's clinical biochem i'm interested in, just the haematology man was giving us a lecture so I spoke to him after.
    So would you like do the autumn term, then work for a few months then do the spring term, then work until next summer or something?
    (and second most stupid question) do you get a second graduation?? lol

ReputationRep:
    I think you do autumn and summer in the first year and work in between and then spring in the second year. I assume you get to graduate again but am not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hey ClinSciWanaBe - have you had your interview for the south central region yet? How did it go? Good luck. Which hospitals was it for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi has any one heard micro post from Bristol? please post if u know anything

ReputationRep:
    Hi NorthLondon- sorry I didn't reply sooner- there was a bit of confusion because originally Reza rang me about Oxford so I assumed the interview was just for that, but then Stephen rang and told me it's Ox, Soton and Kent!

I've just realised I am yet to congratulate you on your fantastic achievement!! Well done for getting into London! :-)

I really hope I'm successful- this is a career that I feel I have researched well and I loved what I saw when I visited the labs (including Reza's). I'm in the first year of my PhD and am really hoping to change career path as I'm finding the research I'm doing isn't as applied to the clinical side of biochem as I'd expected (I'm in the crystallography dept)

I can't believe one of your friends is going to let the NHS fund the first year of her masters and training and then move to Germany!! It's awful!

What are your friends' backgrounds?

ReputationRep:
    Wow! That's really good that there are several choices. Do you have a preference for any of them? As I said, I met the people at oxford and they were lovely, I also met the people at Kent when I had my interview and they were really nice too.

That's really good that you realised so soon that you don't want to carry on with your PhD, I wish that I had. I think they will look positively on this and think you are brave to change.

I;m sure that your enthusiasm will come across in the interview and that you'll be fine. Let me know if you want any other tips for the questions.

I know, it is really bad about the girl who said she's going to go to germany. I think when some people want it so much, like I did and you seem to, as well as my other friend, it's just to mean to do that. I hope her lack of real enthusiasm will show through though even though I think she'll be good at interview. The one going to germany is a postdoc and the other is just finishing a masters. It's really good that you visited the labs, I think this makes a big difference - don't think the people I know have.

I know it's hard to be smiley and stuff in an interview but people keep going on to me about how it's such a sociable career so I think if you try to smile, be friendly and show that you listen and can communicate well you'll have a fantastic chance.

Really good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for seeing the positive side of me leaving the PhD. It's sometimes hard for me to see it that way because I feel really guilty for leaving it so early and I keep getting worried that they will see me as a 'quitter'. I really am trying to stay positive though, and put those feelings away!

ReputationRep:
    ClinSciWanaB - I really do think it is a positive thing. As long as you tell them you've thought long and hard both about leaving and about clin biochem I'm sure they will see it as positive. It is much easier to carry on with things than to admit you've changed your mind - seriously, it is definitely the braver option to finish after a year and do something you think will make you more happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm dwelling and worrying about things too much. I just need to be positive and enthusiastic- I'm confident that I know the career path and what the job entails!

ReputationRep:
    Query: Hi .....i Applied For The Clinical Scientist/micro-biochem In February '09 But Still Havent Got A Reply. Should I Consider My Application Unsuccessful?....plus,if Ever My Application Did Get Rejected- Am An International Student Who Did My Degree And Post-grad In The Uk- Is It Because Of The Latter Fact?....am Worried And Confused Right Now. Any Help Will Be Most Appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Last year I didn't hear from the London micro jobs until July and the interview was in August so if this is the one you have applied for I wouldn't assume you have been unsuccessful yet. I'm not sure about the other micro posts though or biochem ones. It won't be anything to do with you having done a post-grad course.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed reading and found out I didn't get it, so that's me out of the race now. I'm hoping i'll get in to the Audiology MSc in Manchester. If I do, I might do that and then do the CCC placement year and get into audiology that way. It means that I don't get all the money or the fancy title, but at least i'd be getting closer to doing what i want to do. Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview at Sheffield for Immunolgy next week. Its late notice and right in the middle of my exams so I don't have much time to prepare. Has anyone got any tips?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Fredd : thanks a lot man. this does help. meanwhile, is there anything you would advise me to do?i.e, call the centre(s) up ans see what is happening/has already happened. Also, I really really want to be a clinical microbioligist. What other routes-if ever they exist- are there? ....thanks a lot for your kind help Fredd.

ReputationRep:
    Fredd : thanks a lot man. this does help. meanwhile, is there anything you would advise me to do?i.e, call the centre(s) up ans see what is happening/has already happened. Also, I really really want to be a clinical microbioligist. What other routes-if ever they exist- are there? ....thanks a lot for your kind help Fredd.

ReputationRep:
    Anna_angel, so sorry to hear about Reading. As you said, there's still the CCC, if you get in touch with the Uni fairly soon they'll be able to let you know about it, as some of the people holding CCC placements may have recently got a Clinical scientist post, and therefore there may be some places spare. Do you already have an offer from the uni or do you still need to apply? Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.