Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the technical helpdesk and they said that it is not mandatory and they advised me to explain that I had no location preference in the space provided.

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, I'm sure I've now updated the incorrect information on the newly updated preference form.....I haven't actually received any e-mail at all from milkround asking me to update info/preferences, it's only because I read on here in the last couple of days that I went online and checked my own application (or the very little bit I am now able to access) to find it was asking for additional info.

I misunderstood what they were asking and put preferences for 3 regions.....completely threw me because I only applied for one region, and I know know there are only 2 positions available for the specialty I have an interview for......I wondered if they were opening up other regions on the basis that even if one doesn't score high enough for one region, you may be considered for a different region if your interview scores were higher than candidates who had expressed a preference for that specific area?

Crapola....but never mind, it's too late now and I know one is expected to travel for rotations anyway.....

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone apply for the genetics clinical scientist training post in Cardiff? If so, has anyone heard anything back about it yet? The deadline was beginning of April and I've not heard anything yet, so I don't know if they just haven't made a decision yet or if they have only told the people they want to interview. Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got the 'more info' email today? 24 hour deadline to respond to any offer made post-interview! Strict much?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously strict! I am on holiday for two weeks at the end of may/beginning of June and I'm planning to check my email every day, twice a day.

But surely they won't bump the 'best candidate' for the sake of 24 hours! that is madness!

ReputationRep:
    I want to do clinical science but in genetics or cytogenetics. However I would have a biochemistry degree. Is it possible to get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naturesenshi)
    I want to do clinical science but in genetics or cytogenetics. However I would have a biochemistry degree. Is it possible to get in?
    I would say it is possible to get in. Most people who have interviews seem to have NHS experience so I would recommend trying to get lab work/ward work or both to decide the area you want to work in and to prove to them that you are serious about the job.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Ive applied for the reproductive scientist position and I'm on the reserve list. Just found out I've moved from 3rd to 2nd which is exciting but frustrating at the same time. As for experience I've been doing my PhD and working in the NHS Obs and Gynae department for the last 4 years so couldn't get more specific really so god knows what else i could do as i have 2 degrees (biological science and biomed and a masters in reproductive science) not to mention the PhD in medical science lol. Id be very interested to know what the 15 people who got interviews have by means of qualifications and experience. Im wondering if it gets so competitive that they had to go by scores of the online tests rather than the applications. If i don't get in this year ill keep trying but id love advice on what else i could do to make myself more attractive.

P.S please please please if you know your not going to make the interview for whatever reason let the applications team know as they mentioned how some people fail to report it and slots just go empty on the day.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am a new member and was wondering if anybody here has been invited to a microbiology interview and if they have visited an NHS lab? I am having trouble finding information on Open days etc.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReproScientist)
    Hi everyone, Ive applied for the reproductive scientist position and I'm on the reserve list. Just found out I've moved from 3rd to 2nd which is exciting but frustrating at the same time. As for experience I've been doing my PhD and working in the NHS Obs and Gynae department for the last 4 years so couldn't get more specific really so god knows what else i could do as i have 2 degrees (biological science and biomed and a masters in reproductive science) not to mention the PhD in medical science lol. Id be very interested to know what the 15 people who got interviews have by means of qualifications and experience. Im wondering if it gets so competitive that they had to go by scores of the online tests rather than the applications. If i don't get in this year ill keep trying but id love advice on what else i could do to make myself more attractive.

P.S please please please if you know your not going to make the interview for whatever reason let the applications team know as they mentioned how some people fail to report it and slots just go empty on the day.
    I don't know if post grad qualifications matter too much when it comes to this scheme. You have to do a masters degree anyway, so already having masters degrees and PhDs might not give you that much of an advantage. You have a lot of experience so I'm sure that wasn't a problem. I'm guessing that the answers to the essay type questions and scores on the online tests counted for a lot. This is just a guess though, it kinda sucks that you can't any feedback.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually a little excited about my interview now (medPhys, Friday), it should be really good fun, and its a day off revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeropoint)
    I'm actually a little excited about my interview now (medPhys, Friday), it should be really good fun, and its a day off revision.
    Good luck! It's smack bang in the middle of exams for me. Luckily I've got a few med phys exams so there's some overlap! I'm SO tired though I might fall asleep in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I applied for the Clinical immunology theme and was lucky enough to get an interview. The only problem is that I graduated in 2010 and have not looked a science since then and have been working in a completely different field.

I am absolutely terrified about this interview because although I did well at my degree I now barely remember any of it.

Has anyone done the clinical immunology this interview? Is it hardcore science specific questions testing your scientific knowledge? Will there be lab technique questions?

I really want to do the program but not sure if I can make the cut.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my Med Phys interview this morning and it was fine - obviously it's hard to tell how you've done as the interviewers will be friendly either way! - but they are very nice and encouraging and do want you to do well - they prompt you towards the answers.

Just have to wait and see now, but wanted to encourage those of you who have interviews tomorrow not to worry to much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearlesskcl)
    Hi guys

I applied for the Clinical immunology theme and was lucky enough to get an interview. The only problem is that I graduated in 2010 and have not looked a science since then and have been working in a completely different field.

I am absolutely terrified about this interview because although I did well at my degree I now barely remember any of it.

Has anyone done the clinical immunology this interview? Is it hardcore science specific questions testing your scientific knowledge? Will there be lab technique questions?

I really want to do the program but not sure if I can make the cut.
    I was in a similar position to you as I graduated in Physics in 2009 and haven't really done anything relevant since!

I did some basic revision of both general physics concepts and also of more specific MedPhys, and found that they both came in useful - I felt I was able to answer the questions well - and that was from about 3 weeks 'light' revision (not hard-core past exams or anything!)

I'm sure you'll do well - my interviewers were lovely and encouraging

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite comfortable until they gave me a pen and paper and asked me some basic questions. I suffered a bit of impostor syndrome and just doubted every thought I had, which resulted in my balling up just about the simplest question imaginable.

I must have been the only person not to have actually answered it properly, for that alone I highly doubt I'll progress.

The Medical Physics interviews are really nothing too much to worry about if you've done undergraduate physics, and can talk a little about your motivation, skills, understanding etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckclaireknowles)
    I was in a similar position to you as I graduated in Physics in 2009 and haven't really done anything relevant since!

I did some basic revision of both general physics concepts and also of more specific MedPhys, and found that they both came in useful - I felt I was able to answer the questions well - and that was from about 3 weeks 'light' revision (not hard-core past exams or anything!)

I'm sure you'll do well - my interviewers were lovely and encouraging
    Ah that's good to know! Last year I was so clueless that I was basically guessing at how things are done. They tried their best but it's pretty hard to be that encouraging when someone's clearly talking out of their rear end!

Well done and good luck on the outcome, whereabouts are you hoping to end up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuneu)
    I found it quite comfortable until they gave me a pen and paper and asked me some basic questions. I suffered a bit of impostor syndrome and just doubted every thought I had, which resulted in my balling up just about the simplest question imaginable.

I must have been the only person not to have actually answered it properly, for that alone I highly doubt I'll progress.

The Medical Physics interviews are really nothing too much to worry about if you've done undergraduate physics, and can talk a little about your motivation, skills, understanding etc.
    Yeah I did that last year, froze for about five minutes when they asked me about gravitational potential energy! Good luck, you may have done better than you thought.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who already had their interviews! I have just received a call inviting me to the interview (cytopathology)!! I can't believe it!

Good luck to everyone! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuneu)

Hiya,

So is it like last yr where you get four stations n u hop to each one after a few minutes? Oh no pen and paper doesn't sound good..my hands are going to be shaking throughout!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.