Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kems_o)

Hi,

I was wondering if they gave you prior warning before contacting your references after you received your offer? Because I have a current employer and would like to put them as one of my references but I obviously can't make my current employer aware of this unless I'm offered a place.

Thanks in advance
    Once I had been offered a place (June), my name was handed over to the physics office at the hospital I would be working at. They then asked me for references which they contacted in mid August.

They won't check your references until you've been offered a job, so don't worry about that. So much as I can tell, the national application scheme doesn't actually check references, only the local hospital once you've got the job.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeropoint)
    Once I had been offered a place (June), my name was handed over to the physics office at the hospital I would be working at. They then asked me for references which they contacted in mid August.

They won't check your references until you've been offered a job, so don't worry about that. So much as I can tell, the national application scheme doesn't actually check references, only the local hospital once you've got the job.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because this year people that have been offered interviews are already being asked for the 3 references that are to be contacted if you are offered a place. But as you said they will most likely wait a while after you have been offered the place before contacting them. Would just hate to be stuck in a situation where my work would find out I'm leaving before I get the chance to tell them myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    Hey, some of us haven't even heard if we've gotten to the interview stage, let alone actually had the interview :P Good luck anyway

I think it's just biochem and cardiac still to hear now and all we've heard is "by the end of next week"...I'm hoping they come in and get sorted today...
    Haha that's very true.... I guess it sucks either way coz you're worrying if u got it or not and I'm going over every silly thing I said hopefully since they kept u waiting this long it won't take as long to find out after the interview stage. Thanks for the good luck, fingers crossed u get an interview!!

ReputationRep:
    STILL no news from Biochem or Cardiac apparently Come on STP, surely it shouldn't take this long Thinking they're probably 2 of the most popular ones as well as having lots to interview, but even so...

EDIT: They're working on Biochem now apparently, finally Sorry, Cardiologists...

ReputationRep:
    STILL no news from Biochem or Cardiac apparently Come on STP, surely it shouldn't take this long Thinking they're probably 2 of the most popular ones as well as having lots to interview, but even so...

EDIT: They're working on Biochem now apparently, finally Sorry, Cardiologists...
    Thanks for the update! Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Purple-Girl ...your comments are sooo wise .

How on earth have you found out this information? Your soo in the loop ....

From a fellow biochem who has been waiting longer then is cool

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting the info from the facebook page, that's all! I don't have inside information or anything

Cardiac Science apparently "also" going out today, implying Biochem will also be out today...not long to go!

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I checked the page and couldnt find it. Useless. I was just kidding, in all seriousness I find your posts very helpful as im doing the same discipline. It sucks a little that we have to wait sooo long.

Good luck with it and I hope we find out today, because I have been holding off from revising for the interview until we get conformation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff Buckley)
    Oh really? I checked the page and couldnt find it. Useless. I was just kidding, in all seriousness I find your posts very helpful as im doing the same discipline. It sucks a little that we have to wait sooo long.

Good luck with it and I hope we find out today, because I have been holding off from revising for the interview until we get conformation.
    They're posting everything as comments under one of their old posts, quite sneaky I know!

You too . Yeah, I've not done any revision for it yet either, also been waiting for confirmation. Any ideas for how to revise for it?

ReputationRep:
    Suddenly dont feel as stupid now

Did you apply for another discipline? I did just because I could, got rejected flatly for it but to be honest I would have been suprised if i was accepted as i included a lot of biochem info. Um, revision, to be honest I have not thought about it to much, Im a pure Chemistry student so will deffo brush up on the basics of biology. But If I get accepted I will look to devise a revision strategy which i'd gladly share with you, not sure how useful it will be though.

ReputationRep:
    P.s are you going email refresh mad today ?

ReputationRep:
    I got on the reserve list for cardiac! Not entirely sure how it happened as my app was micro based and I got rejected for micro!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff Buckley)
    Suddenly dont feel as stupid now

Did you apply for another discipline? I did just because I could, got rejected flatly for it but to be honest I would have been suprised if i was accepted as i included a lot of biochem info. Um, revision, to be honest I have not thought about it to much, Im a pure Chemistry student so will deffo brush up on the basics of biology. But If I get accepted I will look to devise a revision strategy which i'd gladly share with you, not sure how useful it will be though.
    Yeah, I also applied for genetics which I was rejected from, but although I put some genetics stuff in there it was probably slightly biased towards biochemistry so hopefully I have a better chance this time! I'm a JH Biology/Chemistry student so will probably look over relevent notes from both subjects if I get to interview, but other than that no idea really :/

And yeah, been refreshing emails since this morning! Still nothing though, hopefully we'll hear within the hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleInfinity)
    I got on the reserve list for cardiac! Not entirely sure how it happened as my app was micro based and I got rejected for micro!

Congrats! Maybe you were only just below cutoff for micro and you had just enough cardiac to be accepted? Who know! Good luck with getting the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleInfinity)

It's crazy how they do the application process, only they can make logic of it all. Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    Rejected, oh well Not too surprised really...

ReputationRep:
    Rejected by chemistry Well done to everyone that managed to get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Also rejected from biochem

I do have an interview for blood sciences with NHS Wales, so will see how that one goes! Good luck to anyone who got an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaah reserve list for biochem....don't know whether to cry or not. so close but so far.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsr22)
    Aaaaaaah reserve list for biochem....don't know whether to cry or not. so close but so far.......
    Well done, you did better than many!

Do you mind sharing a bit about your background? I would like to apply again next year and it would be useful to know what candidates that managed to get on the reserve list/ get an interview have experience in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.