Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    Amyloov - from what I have heard, the difficult bit is actually getting them to give you an interview in the first place. Have you got any work experience? What is your background? I heard that if you dont have a 2.1 or higher they throw out your application almost immediately :o:
    GraduateSK - what area of clinical science are you applying in?

Also when I do apply in November, would people advise to send a hard copy to all 4 places as well? I've been reading what people on this thread have been saying about Northgate and it's making me slightly worried...

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to cytogenetics..
    Well, I called up Northgate the other day and they said that this year there will be no online applications. Instead everyone will be sent a paper application form to fill out. I'm glad about that because I was getting worried too!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think them doing it by paper this year will discourage or encourage people to apply for it? I'm glad they are doing it like that too because then there is less chance of things getting messed up.

What experience/background do you have in cytogenics then GraduateSK?

ReputationRep:
    I think the same number of people will still apply. Apparently they get 100 applications for one post.
    I am currently doing a PhD in the field of molecular biology. Its focused on a gene that is upregulated in endothelial cells which may be involved in cancer. I also did Medical Science degree at University of Birmingham which covered genetics in great deal.

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool. Medical Physics from what I gather Isn't as hard as that to get into, but its still pretty hard. You will have a better chance over other candidates since you'll have a PhD in it, whereas I will have just a BSc in Physics. You know where you are applying yet?

ReputationRep:
    Well having a PhD doesnt seem to help as I know of many people who have applied with PhDs and were unsuccessful.. I'm not sure what its based on exactly. I think like with medicine, they dont even take people with straight As sometimes, they want a people person - someone to work with I suppose.
    I'm not sure yet because I have no way of knowing where there are vacancies yet.
    DO you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    I'm not sure yet because I have no way of knowing where there are vacancies yet.
    DO you know?
    I think its good that they go for a 'people person' because you've gotta really care bout people if you work for NHS. I've looked on the internet for any glimpse of something to do with this years intake, but I can't seem to find anything. I think we'll just have to wait until 2nd nov... 1 month only almost! I did however find last years and the year before brochure so if you want I can try and find it again and post it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyloov)
    I think its good that they go for a 'people person' because you've gotta really care bout people if you work for NHS. I've looked on the internet for any glimpse of something to do with this years intake, but I can't seem to find anything. I think we'll just have to wait until 2nd nov... 1 month only almost! I did however find last years and the year before brochure so if you want I can try and find it again and post it
    Last year's brochure would be very handy because I have 2008's brochure. Im really nervouse about applying, I would really be down if I didnt get it because there is nothing else that really interests me.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I will try and find the 2009 one again... You been on many day visits? I went on one yesterday

ReputationRep:
    I visited one lab for a day but just trying to get another one so I can be sure that I stand out.

ReputationRep:
    hi

just to clarify some points/ someone please shed some light:

application process opens in november?
    you can only apply for 4 positions?
    if i apply 4 clinical scientist in 4 locations does that count as all for choices used up?

and yes the website is crappie

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've started my degree in Biology and one area after my degree is to go into either Clinical Cytogenetics/Haematology or Molecular Genetics.

What experience do you need to apply for the Clinical science recruitment? As im only doing Biology, should i go into a lot of molecular modules in my second/third year and also should i try and make my final year disseration based around my area of choice if i can?

Also if anyone who applied for these last year could someone tell me what experience they did or anything relating around the degree/masters/Phd they did and their interview please?

ReputationRep:
    when can we apply as the website doesnt tell us anything and it does'nt show any vacancies at the moment and also the application form etc isnt there as well.

ReputationRep:
    how can you visit the labs, i mean how can you arrange them and where are the labs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSI_HIRO)
    hi

just to clarify some points/ someone please shed some light:

application process opens in november?
    you can only apply for 4 positions?
    if i apply 4 clinical scientist in 4 locations does that count as all for choices used up?

and yes the website is crappie
    Yes
    Yes
    and yes

ReputationRep:
    Can the scheme be done on a part-time basis?
    At the end of it do you gain a masters?
    What the structure is? i.e. how long is spent in the hospital/ teaching?
    how to go about visiting a lab for the day?

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    no
    no, you become a state registered clinical scientist
    3-4 years training all in laboratories
    you have to find the lab your interested in and contact them

ReputationRep:
    how can you find laboratories information? From where can you find the inforamtion?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, great thread, and well done to those on the scheme.

Anybody doing Audiology: Once I have a place on the Msc, do you know what happens if I don't get the NHS Clinical training post? I mean how do I become a audiologist/audiological scientist. I have researched that you have to do a CAC but how do you go about this?

I don't want to have to fund the Msc myself and then not have a career at the end if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafer88)
    how can you find laboratories information? From where can you find the inforamtion?
    Ring up your local hospitals switchboard and ask to be put through, if it's not busy then you could probably arrange a chat and tour there and then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.