The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
*Sparkle*
Ring up your local hospitals switchboard and ask to be put through, if it's not busy then you could probably arrange a chat and tour there and then.

is it on novermber 2, that we will be able to see all the vacancies?
rafer88
is it on novermber 2, that we will be able to see all the vacancies?

Well I haven't seen the application form yet because it's not November the 2nd so I don't really know what it says but I'm sure there you could put that you hoping to see them.

If you live close to a hospital you might be able to arrange one this week and you could put that it. I don't think you need to actually visit everywhere you're applying just show a bit of commitment and research.
Reply 482
CicIt
Hi guys, great thread, and well done to those on the scheme.

Anybody doing Audiology: Once I have a place on the Msc, do you know what happens if I don't get the NHS Clinical training post? I mean how do I become a audiologist/audiological scientist. I have researched that you have to do a CAC but how do you go about this?

I don't want to have to fund the Msc myself and then not have a career at the end if you know what I mean.

Hi!
For Audiology you have to apply for an NHS Clinical Scientist post (you can apply for up to 4 of these once they become available next Monday 2nd November). In addition you need a place on the MSc. I applied for them at the same time, and was offered a place on the MSc on the basis of getting my Clinical scientist post.

For those that don't get clinical scientist posts, or do not want to be clinical scientists, there is the option of the CAC. This is funded by the Uni/NHS and pays the fees and bursary for the MSc year, plus a salary for the clinical traning year after studying. If you wanted to do this route then you'd have to apply to the University of your choice (Manchester, Southampton or UCL) and tell them you were applying for a CAC place.

Hope this makes sense :-)
Reply 483
how come we still cant see any of the vacancies???
Reply 484
Don't think they will come on till later today. They'll be put on by a person, so probably once the working day starts!
Reply 485
NoAngel
Don't think they will come on till later today. They'll be put on by a person, so probably once the working day starts!

Hey noAngel I believe u started this thread a yr ago, iv nt had the chance to read thru most of the msgs but can u tell me if some of the guys on here whom applied lst yr got a place as iv heard how competitive it really is to even get an interview...thanx
Reply 486
I'm concerned that none of the Audiology places posted so far are in Yorkshire or North East. Do you think more will go on later today?
Reply 487
Emzio
Hey noAngel I believe u started this thread a yr ago, iv nt had the chance to read thru most of the msgs but can u tell me if some of the guys on here whom applied lst yr got a place as iv heard how competitive it really is to even get an interview...thanx

Hi there- lots of people on here were offered places in various specialities. If you're thinking of applying I'd definately read through the thread sometime as lots of questions will have probably been answered already. It's very competitive and therefore the best advice from people was to ensure lots of clinical visits and make sure your application personal statement is very good.
Reply 488
NoAngel
Maz- I applied for Audiology last year and really wanted a Yorkshire one (I'm from Leeds). The nearest one is Sheffield, which for some reason shows up as 'East Midlands' or something daft!(it's advertised again this year) Other than that I waited till Christmas, a few new posts came online (I don't think anymore will appear today, probably over the next few weeks), but none in Yorkshire. I took a post far away and will have to move, so that's the other option for you.

Hi No Angel, thanks for your reply. I just spoke with Northgate and they said that some hoipitals may still be trying to finalise funding so a few more places may become available sometime around or after christmas. I think Sheffield and Manchester seem to be the closest. Moving isn't an option for me I'm afraid I have a house and mortgage and longterm boyfriend (also in Leeds), which is why location is of huge concern to me. How's the MSc going? I've applied to Manchester and I'm awaiting interview dates.
Reply 489
Good luck Maz. I also have house, morgage and long term boyfriend in Leeds, but took the plunge and have moved to Manchester for the MSc and we're both moving down south for my training post. Depends on the situation I suppose, it's a huge step! I thought commuting to Manchester for the MSc would be possible, but it's a very full time course and that's why I chose to move here. Also, Manchester and Sheffield are very competitive posts (not trying to put you off at all, just info I wish I'd had when applying!!). I hope something nearer to home comes up, I know Bradford do the training there too, so fingers crossed for a post there. :smile:
Reply 490
Yes that was something I was wondering about. I thought I might be able to commute to Manchester during the MSC year, but it's good to know that it would be difficult upfront. It's no wonder Manchester & Sheffield are so competative as they seem to be the only Northern based posts!! I was hoping that a post in Bradford would come and have arranged a visit there, so I'm a bit disappointed about that but we'll see over the next couple of months. My boyfriend has set up his own business recently in Leeds so can't really move with me if I have to go elsewhere. It's my fault really, I've just assumed that there would be somewhere close by. Where is your post?
Reply 491
NoAngel
Hi there- lots of people on here were offered places in various specialities. If you're thinking of applying I'd definately read through the thread sometime as lots of questions will have probably been answered already. It's very competitive and therefore the best advice from people was to ensure lots of clinical visits and make sure your application personal statement is very good.

Hi there...thanx for the info...ive done most of the thins pple are suggestin', like visiting the pathology departments, i live in london n iv had the opportunity to visit two of my local hospitals even before todays posts were released..i also got the opportunity to tlk to some senior clinical biochemist (which is the post im applyin for) n they all encouraged wat I was doin as they believe it really increases your chance of atleast gettin an interview, it shows ur interested in the post n have done a lot of research about it, n again u get to kno the in-s of how a clinical lab is run, is totally different from a teaching/research lab...but theres one more thin', i'll jus like to kno if u kno anythin about this yrs application intake, i thought u cud apply on-line but all the posts want you to contact the recruitment center directly by e-mail or by phone but i jus check now n i think they'v stop recievin calls b-cuz thev removed their number n want u to only contact by e-mail..
Reply 492
Also iv been readin thru the thread n iv heard some horrific storys like urs NoAngel about Northgate bein a total mess so i was thinkin of sendin my applications by hardcopy but ds that mean i have to get the adresses of evry single lab in the region, like for example there are five hospitals in the london region which means i have to send hardcopies of my application to each one..
What are you lot putting for the "extra information" I have no idea what to write for it, I've got a careers meeting on Thursday to help me go through it, but I'm stuck and don't have a clue what to write, I'm still doing my degree I've only got research lab experience (and only six weeks worth).
Hi there,
is anyone else applying for clinical biochemist positions?? Have wanted to do this for so long and now the application process has started am really starting to worry!! would be great to hear from other people applying for the same thing and from people who have been through the process before!
clinical biochem wanabe
Hi there,
is anyone else applying for clinical biochemist positions?? Have wanted to do this for so long and now the application process has started am really starting to worry!! would be great to hear from other people applying for the same thing and from people who have been through the process before!

I am, have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get it.
GraduateSK
You mean 'additional information'? the work experience you have, what you can offer, why you want to do it etc. I dont think its that important. I know someone who got a post without writing anything

Somebody got a post without writing a personal statement you mean?? that's mental!!lol
*Sparkle*
I am, have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get it.

Sparkle- do you know where you are going to apply to?? yeah same, don't know what else I would do if I don't get it!! Just wana make sure I give myself the absolute best chance, so much presure though!
clinical biochem wanabe
Sparkle- do you know where you are going to apply to?? yeah same, don't know what else I would do if I don't get it!! Just wana make sure I give myself the absolute best chance, so much presure though!

London, East, North West and South Central, what about you?
clinical biochem wanabe
Somebody got a post without writing a personal statement you mean?? that's mental!!lol

Yeah I know, they had really good experience :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending