Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    London, East, North West and South Central, what about you?
    I am applying for london, south central (where I want the most as currently live in southampton), south west or east (haven't decided yet) and wales..
    How much experience etc. do you have? have you started filling out the application??? I don't know where to start!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    Yeah I know, they had really good experience :confused:
    Do you know what experience they had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clinical biochem wanabe)
    I am applying for london, south central (where I want the most as currently live in southampton), south west or east (haven't decided yet) and wales..
    How much experience etc. do you have? have you started filling out the application??? I don't know where to start!!
    I don't have any real experience, a hospital at home said I could work there all summer but they then completely ignored ALL my emails and phonecalls, I was so pissed off it's not even funny, then I asked a load of other hospitals if I could pop down just to watch a day in the lab rather than see what I've seen on the normal arranged lab visits I've been on but they all ignored me and my follow up emails.
    The only lab experience I have has been for my research project at uni, but that's completely unsupervised so no one has actually seen me do anything to give me a reference if you know what I mean.
    I've filled out the application form but I haven't done the additional information bit yet, I'm saving that for after my careers meeting.

ReputationRep:
    hey all!back again this yr to try again after getting more experience!!
    Just a quick question: is it worth putting down any part time employment in retail even if it doesnt involve lab work?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks NoAngel you are a star.

sarahfal86, I think it would depend what post you are applying to, as for audiology retail experience may show good communication with the public (i.e. good for patients) whereas other posts may not need that experience. I suppose it depends what you think you have taken from it, although if you have spent a year gaining more experience, that may overcompensate for the retail work. What are you applying for?

I think I'd like to take a breather on this application until December to see if any posts come up in London or Kent. If not I'll apply for south centrals and easterns. Do you think there is an advantage to applying early?

ReputationRep:
    hey CicIt! I could be wrong but I wouldnt think it would matter when you apply. I dont necessarily think that applying earlier gives anyone an advantage.
    Im applying for the genetics positions with a specific interest in cytogenetics!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I applied last year and am currently doing an MSc as part of the training for a medical physics post. So far so good!

Just thought I would write a few comments to what you guys are asking....

I don't think it matters when you apply as I am pretty sure that you won't hear anything until after the closing date from the hospitals you have applied for. I remember a few new posts came up in December/january time so it may be worth waiting to see if this is the case this year.

I recommend going to at least one lab/visit, the more the merrier really. I think it definitely helps to show how interested you are in the career and makes you stand out from some of the other applications. I only went to one but got the job at that hospital!

The personal statement part of the form....include things like your skills that are good for the role, what experience you have (also include that you have seen labs on open days etc!) and what work you have particularly enjoyed and can sound enthusiastic about (I talked about my final year project and was asked about it in my interview).

Sarahfal86 - I wrote a bit about retail experience in my statement but just a sentence to say that I am confident talking to others and working in a team/on my own. Depends on what else you have to include really.

Good luck with all your applications!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know (who has applied before) what they references they send out have on them? Do they ask the referee questions or just simply ask them to write about the person?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been reading the whole thread for the past week! Thanks to NoAngel who initiated this thread looks like it helped alot of people and also given me alot of insight into the application progress. congrats to all who got a place last year, hope you are enjoying it.

I applied to this scheme last year and i wish i had found this forum then, because i did not do half of the things you guys were talking bout. Im going to go for it again, but I have not been able to get any science-based or lab-based experience since i graduated this summer. I want to arrange the lab visits as soon as possible...what do you think are my chances having no work experience, placements and it being nearly 6 months since i have been near any lab?

ReputationRep:
    Hey is anyone else applying for this years medical physics?

ReputationRep:
    Dear MissKey,
    I've got ur same problems! I graduated this summer but since then nothing! I'd like to find somewhere to gain some experience but I dont know where to start (as I'm from Italy and I'm new in the UK)!

Does anyone know labs or hospitals or private clinics in London where they accept volunteers or trainees even for a short period? Help!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hey applenia,

im based in manchester so i dont know where in london you can apply, but one of my friends just rang up at her nearby hospital to ask if she could volunteer work or work experience and they gladly gave her advice and phone numbers for the appropriate people she needed to contact. and that the same for labs and medical centres...it is really just a matter of asking, i wish i listened to myself right now lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, is there another way to become a qualified audiologist without doing the clinical scientist programme? I want to do an MSc audiology at Manchester. If I pay my tuition myself, what do I do about the clinical training year? I mean is it only possible to get clinical training through the clinical scientist scheme or can you just apply for it independently? If you don't get your clinical placement through the clinical scientist scheme then do you still get paid? Or do you have to take out a loan to support yourself? I am soooo confused! :confused: And I've seen people on this thread talking about how clinical scientists can earn £93000 a year, do you HAVE to become a clinical scientist after completing this scheme? Or can you just be an audiologist.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!Just a quick question: I am wondering why there isnt as many places this year for genetics/ cytogenetics as there was last year?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly a cut in the budget of the health authorities has led to a reduction in places for genetics/cytogenetics. Or maybe there's some people who deferred entry or something, if you can do that, I don't really know

ReputationRep:
    I think they are slowly getting rid of this discipline. In a few years I heard it might not exist because machines now do most of their job! PCR and sequencing is done mostly nowadays with high throughput robots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fettucini)
    I don't understand, is there another way to become a qualified audiologist without doing the clinical scientist programme? I want to do an MSc audiology at Manchester. If I pay my tuition myself, what do I do about the clinical training year? I mean is it only possible to get clinical training through the clinical scientist scheme or can you just apply for it independently? If you don't get your clinical placement through the clinical scientist scheme then do you still get paid? Or do you have to take out a loan to support yourself? I am soooo confused! :confused: And I've seen people on this thread talking about how clinical scientists can earn £93000 a year, do you HAVE to become a clinical scientist after completing this scheme? Or can you just be an audiologist.
    There are Audiologists and Clinical Scientists in Audiology (also known as Audiological Scientists). Audiologists begin work on band 5 and Clinical Scientists on band 6.

In order to become an Audiologist you can do a 4 year BSc in Audiology. Alternatively, you can also do a science degree and then do a one year MSc in Audiology. As the MSc has no real clinical component, you are required to do a one year clinical placement after the MSc in order to register as an Audiologist. To be able to do the MSc route, you must apply to the University of your choise (Manchester, Southampton or UCL) for a place on their course and also for a funded CCC place. This funding covers fees, a bursary to live off and a one year salaried clinical placemt at the end of the MSc.

If you would like to become a Clinical scientist in Audiology you must apply to the University of your choice. You also need to apply via the Clinical Scientist Recruitment Services for a position as a Trainee Clinical Scientist. If you are successful, you will study the MSc for one year (which is salaried, currently at £24,831). After the course, you will go and work at the hospital that have employed you for a further 3 years.

So to summarise, there are two ways to study the MSc Audiology- either with funding from the University or via the Clinical Scientist scheme (which pays much more). If you chose to self fund you will not have any clinical component to your degree and therefore it is not very useful to you at all. You do not HAVE to be a clinical scientist, it all depends on what you want from your job in terms of responsibility and salary.

I hope this makes sense, please tell me if I can help anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    There are Audiologists and Clinical Scientists in Audiology (also known as Audiological Scientists). Audiologists begin work on band 5 and Clinical Scientists on band 6.

In order to become an Audiologist you can do a 4 year BSc in Audiology. Alternatively, you can also do a science degree and then do a one year MSc in Audiology. As the MSc has no real clinical component, you are required to do a one year clinical placement after the MSc in order to register as an Audiologist. To be able to do the MSc route, you must apply to the University of your choise (Manchester, Southampton or UCL) for a place on their course and also for a funded CCC place. This funding covers fees, a bursary to live off and a one year salaried clinical placemt at the end of the MSc.

If you would like to become a Clinical scientist in Audiology you must apply to the University of your choice. You also need to apply via the Clinical Scientist Recruitment Services for a position as a Trainee Clinical Scientist. If you are successful, you will study the MSc for one year (which is salaried, currently at £24,831). After the course, you will go and work at the hospital that have employed you for a further 3 years.

So to summarise, there are two ways to study the MSc Audiology- either with funding from the University or via the Clinical Scientist scheme (which pays much more). If you chose to self fund you will not have any clinical component to your degree and therefore it is not very useful to you at all. You do not HAVE to be a clinical scientist, it all depends on what you want from your job in terms of responsibility and salary.

I hope this makes sense, please tell me if I can help anymore.

That does help a lot, thank you! I have applied to Manchester and said I was going to apply for a clinical scientist bursary cos I thought this was the only way to get funded on the course. What is the name of the funding I can get from the university? And how do I apply for it? Sorry for being stupid :o:

ReputationRep:
    You're really not being stupid, it took me ages to get my head around it all!!

The university funded places are called CCC places (I think maybe they're actually funded by the NHS, but all decisions are made by the Uni). Check out this link:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgrad...ode=02087&pg=2

It kind of explains the funding options a bit more clearly. There are around 10 places sponsored by the Uni (i.e. for people that aren't doing clinical scientist scheme).
    I basically applied to the Uni in December and was offered a place with the condition that I also got a Clinical scientist post. However, I was on a waiting list for a CCC place too, in case I didn't get a scientist post, i could still study the course and become an Audiologist instead.

Please feel free to ask away, there's soo little info available.

ReputationRep:
    Hey fettucini, don't worry I was asking exactly the same things. NoAngel i think its fair to say you are the expert with the audiology questions! I'm interested to know how you are finding it? I got offered a place at Southampton and I have an interview with Manchester in a few of weeks (quite nervous, I don't know how they gave me the place at Southampton as my interview skills weren't great at all). Is the MSc really hard going? Do you enjoy it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.