Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CicIt)
    Hey fettucini, don't worry I was asking exactly the same things. NoAngel i think its fair to say you are the expert with the audiology questions! I'm interested to know how you are finding it? I got offered a place at Southampton and I have an interview with Manchester in a few of weeks (quite nervous, I don't know how they gave me the place at Southampton as my interview skills weren't great at all). Is the MSc really hard going? Do you enjoy it?
    Haha, I don't mind helping where I can. I found it soo hard to find the info I needed when applying!

If I'm honest, I'm finding the MSc very difficult, yet pretty enjoyable too. The timetable is quite full, the pace is fast but everything is so new to me, so in that sense it keep it all interesting and on my toes! There's a lot of work, but I have a feeling it's all going to be so worth it. The lecturers all all so supportive and friendly and I'm looking forward to my clinical component after the course. Plus deciding on dissertation topic now which is keeping everything interesting Don't be put off by the amount of work, most of us are fine!

I thought my interview had gone really badly, but I think it's usually hard to judge it yourself! Good luck for your interview though. Are you applying for any Clinical Scientist posts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    Haha, I don't mind helping where I can. I found it soo hard to find the info I needed when applying!

If I'm honest, I'm finding the MSc very difficult, yet pretty enjoyable too. The timetable is quite full, the pace is fast but everything is so new to me, so in that sense it keep it all interesting and on my toes! There's a lot of work, but I have a feeling it's all going to be so worth it. The lecturers all all so supportive and friendly and I'm looking forward to my clinical component after the course. Plus deciding on dissertation topic now which is keeping everything interesting Don't be put off by the amount of work, most of us are fine!

I thought my interview had gone really badly, but I think it's usually hard to judge it yourself! Good luck for your interview though. Are you applying for any Clinical Scientist posts?
    Ah thanks for the insight. Yes I really want a Clinical Scientist post but not sure of my chances. I am hopefully going to apply to some South Centrals and Easterns. I wanted a post to come up in Kent or London but none did! Did you manage to get a post last year?

ReputationRep:
    There are posts in Reading and Windsor, they any good for proximity to London? I somehow managed to get a post last year, feel really lucky to have got it too. The salary for the MSc is very helpful. So it's hard work but at least I have some pennies to enjoy when I get a few spare hours! Just give me a shout if you want any help with anything.

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose anyone know how to apply this year, last year it was all online applications but that seems to have disappeared? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The online applications were such a disaster that they appear to have scrapped them. Think you contact Northgate for application forms

ReputationRep:
    The online applications were such a disaster that they appear to have scrapped them. Think you contact Northgate for application forms
    Ah OK, thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    There are posts in Reading and Windsor, they any good for proximity to London? I somehow managed to get a post last year, feel really lucky to have got it too. The salary for the MSc is very helpful. So it's hard work but at least I have some pennies to enjoy when I get a few spare hours! Just give me a shout if you want any help with anything.
    Yes I am going to apply to those two, and then maybe Cambridge, and either Portsmouth or Brighton. I visited the department in Swansea and really liked it there though. so who knows! I'll have to have to good think. but thanks for your help.
    Btw well done with getting yours! you must have been well chuffed!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    it's been 2 weeks that I cant access the nhs clinical scientist recruitment site, has anyone got the same problem?Does anyone know why????
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applenia)
    Hello everyone,
    it's been 2 weeks that I cant access the nhs clinical scientist recruitment site, has anyone got the same problem?Does anyone know why????
    Cheers
    I can access it fine

ReputationRep:
    Hey again NoAngel, if you don't mind me asking, what skills or experience did you have when you applied and got the post? Just wondering if I have enough experience to stand a chance or whether I should try and get some more.

ReputationRep:
    HI all

Just a quick question..

I have a 2-2 for my undergrad degree and a MSc in medical based degree
    Manchester university want to see my undergrad certificate! and they want a 2-1 for entry onto the masters in Audiology! what do i do? Ignore and just send my masters certificate or do I own up and hope for the best? this has me really worried now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CicIt)
    Hey again NoAngel, if you don't mind me asking, what skills or experience did you have when you applied and got the post? Just wondering if I have enough experience to stand a chance or whether I should try and get some more.
    Of course I don't mind! I didn't have loads to be honest, but had done three visits to different NHS departments. Some of them were visit days that the departments organised before applying for their clinical scientist posts. I just then managed to use the experiences to compare the differences between departments and to see a couple of different things in each department and to ask lots of questions.

However I did have other NHS work experience that I also mentioned as it was relevant in terms of patient care/understanding of NHS, etc. (I'd worked in XRay department and as a Ward Housekeeper, so managed to make these relevant).

I'd say try and get in touch with the departments where you'd like to apply and ask for a visit. That way they've met you and are looking out for your application. Also gives you a bit more work exp, even if the visit is only a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    HI all

Just a quick question..

I have a 2-2 for my undergrad degree and a MSc in medical based degree
    Manchester university want to see my undergrad certificate! and they want a 2-1 for entry onto the masters in Audiology! what do i do? Ignore and just send my masters certificate or do I own up and hope for the best? this has me really worried now!
    I'd own up, definately. They never actually asked to see mine, but can do at any time! There are other ways for them to find out. It would look terrible if they ever found out that you'd lied. I might be inclined to ask them to verify if they want your BSc or MSc certificate. If they ask for both just send them both and wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    It is also not very fair for those who did get 2.1's

ReputationRep:
    Hi No Angel,

Just been reading through this thread and it appears that you're definitely the person to go to with Audiology questions!

I've got a place on the MSc course at Manchester to start next year - yippee

I was wondering if I don't get a Clinical Scientist post, do you know whereabouts the 1 year placements that are funded by the Uni/NHS take place? It says on the Uni website "in the North West" but that's a big area! Just wondering if you know where this year's students will be going? The reason I ask is I have a mortgage and a husband so am reluctant to have to travel very far.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Angy! I'm always happy to help when I can

Firstly, well done on your place at Manchester! If you don't get a Clinical scientist post then the Strategic Health Authority will sponsor your fees and clinical placement for one year. The placement is divided into two 6 month placements at different sites. The North West IS very big, and I'm not from the area (i'm from Yorkshire), so I'm not familiar with everywhere at all, but I know of people being placed around Manchester, Lancaster, Bolton... almost anywhere in the area. however, people were asked if they had any special requests, and those with children/husbands/houses seemed to have reasonable requests to be within travelling distance of home met. So hopefully your placements will be reasonably close to home.

The Clinical Scientist posts in the North west are pretty competitive, but best of luck with your application if you're applying for that!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    No angel is deffo the person to ask about audiology!

Angy may I ask, are you a mature student in that case? and what acadmic background do you have?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks NoAngel, that's reassuring to know they try to accomodate requests to be closer to home.

I'm going to apply for the Clinical Scientist post at Manchester but realise it's competitive so trying to get as much info up front about the other route so I know what to expect.

Sambo1980, yes I'm a mature student - I graduated 10 years ago in Linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your application. They really do try and accommodate everyone's needs, which seems to be successful as only a few people had special requests this year. Now need to finish my assignments so that they KEEP me on the course! Haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Do we need to get MSc place at Uni before applying for Clinical scientist? Thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.