Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's a package deal.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sparkle!

ReputationRep:
    -thin- depends which clinical scientist posts you're going for? For audiology you have to apply for them separately, though if you get a clinical scientist post you're very likely to be offered a place on the MSc, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks NoAngel, I'm going to apply for Medical Physicist post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thin)
    Thanks NoAngel, I'm going to apply for Medical Physicist post.
    Sorry about that I was only thinking of Clinical Biochemistry. If you ring one of the contacts in the handbook they'll let you know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

This is such a good idea! I'm currently a 2nd year Biomedical student; are we still allowed to do this? Have read somewhere that Biology students are definitely considered, whilst we MIGHT be considered? Meh will still try applying anyway!

Are there different deadlines for the different specialities? When do you start applying for Clinical Biochem? I don't graduate till 2011, though, but just was wondering

Would really appreciate some advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sfiroxx)
    Hey,

This is such a good idea! I'm currently a 2nd year Biomedical student; are we still allowed to do this? Have read somewhere that Biology students are definitely considered, whilst we MIGHT be considered? Meh will still try applying anyway!

Are there different deadlines for the different specialities? When do you start applying for Clinical Biochem? I don't graduate till 2011, though, but just was wondering

Would really appreciate some advice
    From the open days I've been too Clinical Biochemistry is only open to Biochemistry and Chemistry graduates, if I were you I'd look into it a bit more to double check because I could easily be wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There are no placements in the southwest for Microbiology at all, this makes me sad

Although I'm applying for a PGCE, becoming a clinical scientist is something I have been encouraged to do by my tutour at uni, so it is another path I could follow.

I suppose I could wait until I actually obtain my degree and then apply for a trainee post (hopefully in Bristol). I really don't want to move away from home again for a while, not until I get my finances in order :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when they get back to you if you've been offered an interview in Medical Physics? I know the applicatoin process hasn't closed yet, im just wondering....

ReputationRep:
    Probably will start to hear back in March.

ReputationRep:
    i went to the open day .. and i would advise if you only have a BSc don't apply

every has a phd or msc and you will be penalized for not having enough work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSI_HIRO)
    i went to the open day .. and i would advise if you only have a BSc don't apply

every has a phd or msc and you will be penalized for not having enough work experience
    That's not true for all disciplines, some are a lot more competitive than others.

Which one are you applying for CSI HERO?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, not ture for all disciplines at all. If in doubt contact the centre directly and speak to them about necessary qualifications.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If we're talking about the recruitment via https://www.nhsclinicalscientists.in...ment/index.xsp

Then many of these placements lead to an MSc - so why would you need a masters before you start? Makes no sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think a B.Sc. for most is ok... I think the only ones this year that people will definetly need a PhD for or whatever is clinical haematology, and analytical toxocology, cos for each there is only one placement this year, the competition for those must be really big

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_uk)
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone is applying for the Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering training scheme ? I have a few questions.

Is it worth applying for the centres that only accept one applicant even though the choice of subjects seems good ? It seems a bit risky since there is a slim chance of getting accepted.

Im not entirely sure what subjects I want to do although I do have a rough idea. However I don't want to apply for a subject that interests me and then struggle to get employment afterwards. Does anyone know the subjects that are in great demand ? Also once I complete the scheme, am I going to be stuck with the NHS or would I have a choice of working for private companies in addition to the NHS ?

Lastly does anyone know the best centres to apply to in addition to the london ones ? I was thinking of applying to Coventry , Leicster but don't know how good they are.

Thanks in advance
    Ryan
    I'm applying for Medical Physics.

I'd say the best places to apply for are the ones excepting more e.g. London, Birmingham etc as you probably will have a better chance of getting in there. I don't know about Coventry, but Leicester is only offering two places this year, which can be quite a risky one to go for. Dont worry about what subjects to choose just yet, and the hospital you are at will advise you which ones are best for jobs etc.

you wont necessarily be stuck in the NHS, but when they recruit, they are looking to try and keep people in. Obviously not all clinical scientists stay with the NHS though, because there are usually jobs out there in the private sector that pay a lot more.

What experience have you had in Medical Physics/Clinical Engineering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    If we're talking about the recruitment via https://www.nhsclinicalscientists.in...ment/index.xsp

Then many of these placements lead to an MSc - so why would you need a masters before you start? Makes no sense to me.
    You're right it doesn't make much sense, but for those of us who have masters or even Ph.D.s (in my case) and want to work in a clinical setting we have to use the same route of entry as undergraduates and if that means we have to do a masters then we will accept it. I don't think there's any requirment for a masters or any higher degree, all applicants should be treated equally! I'm just as nervous about going up against undergraduates for these jobs as I am of fellow postgraduates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_uk)
    I have completed an accredited Msc in Biomedical Engineering with Medical Physics . My Msc Project was in functional MRI and I was based in a hospital. Other than that , I had previously done an internship in Ultrasound in a private company (this was mainly research though). I have done other menial jobs (not Medical Physics/Clincial Engineering related). I am frantically searching for a placement in a hospital or a Medical Physics/ Clinical Engineering Technician vacancy but there don't seem to be many available.....its a pain in the arse ! I really need to get one before I send my application off , so I can mention it.
    How about yourself ? Whats your work experience like ?

I have heard most people are targetting the centres which accept more applicants. I think the London ones (and the other centres which have 8 places) get around 200 applications or soemthing crazy like that. The ones that take in 3 , get around 60 applications.......so I don't know which one is the safer option lol.......
    I got told the ones that take in 2 or 3 still get around 100 or more applicants, which is quite worrying lol. So you are looking for a placement mainly on the clinical engineering side?

I've done work experience in medical physics department recently, my final year project is in medical physics in collaboration with my local department (with the poster being submitted to a medical physics conference this year), i did nuffield summer project working with lasers, i did an extra curricular module in medical physics (mine is only a normal physics degree) and i been on quite a few day visits now...

It can be quite hard to get a placement in some departments now, but it depends on which one you go for i suppose, i would think the larger ones down in london would be your best bet, perhaps start off by asking for a few days work experience instead of a full week, and see how it goes from there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyloov)
    That's not true for all disciplines, some are a lot more competitive than others.

Which one are you applying for CSI HERO?
    it was for the clinical biochemist role.
    I was the youngest one there by about 5years and definately the most inexperienced ..:o:

ReputationRep:
    For those interested at an open day I was informed by a regional tutor that this years process will involve the following:

From 8th Feb for 3 weeks Northgate will collate all applications and put each centres applications on a CD which will then be sent out

From the end of Feb till the middle of March they will shortlist (in this case they said 12 interviews for one post)

There will be 3 weeks set aside in April where each trust will be allocated a day to perform their interviews on to prevent overlap between different posts. Then, usually quite quickly afterwards, each centre will rank their interviewees and offer the position to their first choice who then has the choice to accept (in which case they must pull out of all remaining interviews), defer until they have had other interviews in the three week period or reject.

This was for a biochem post, not sure if its the same across the board.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.