Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    Only just found this thread! I went on my first and only clinical visit today, fairly scary with what they said! Going to completely rewrite my personal statement tomorrow/friday and then apply over the weekend.

I'm applying for all Clinical Biochem posts, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham. Thinking of maybe swapping Leeds or Sheffield for London though? It was mentioned today that they're both very competitive and have fewer vacancies.

I seem to be one of the only chemists to apply, out of the 5 in my clinical visit today, all the other 4 were biochemists! But the Consultant showing us round was a chemist so that made me feel a bit better!
    Hi PoisonDonna,

New here too and from Leeds. Planning to get a visit in a lab around Leeds before interviews come (if I am called...). Can I ask you? Why did you find scary what they said?

I applied too for Biochem in Leeds, London, Oxford and Manchester. Hope some of them call me, I have a pretty good CV and industry experience, but being so competitive you never know...If this does not come up I will retire to a cave...

All the best.

Spiccato

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiccato)
    Hi PoisonDonna,

New here too and from Leeds. Planning to get a visit in a lab around Leeds before interviews come (if I am called...). Can I ask you? Why did you find scary what they said?

I applied too for Biochem in Leeds, London, Oxford and Manchester. Hope some of them call me, I have a pretty good CV and industry experience, but being so competitive you never know...If this does not come up I will retire to a cave...

All the best.

Spiccato
    Hiya

I just was a bit shocked that what they wanted from the personal statement, they really want you to show you know about the job and the career structure etc. The consultant told us he often throws out CVs with straight As and firsts because their statement was all about themselves... Mine is nothing like that so a swift rewrite is in order!

I was also shocked at how many applicants there are per place, this is/was my "back up" so to speak but it's so competitive I've no idea why I'm trying!

Btw as you're from Leeds, I was told yesterday that Leeds REALLY appreciate people going for visits so definitely so as soon as you can go!

Donna

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I just was a bit shocked that what they wanted from the personal statement, they really want you to show you know about the job and the career structure etc. The consultant told us he often throws out CVs with straight As and firsts because their statement was all about themselves... Mine is nothing like that so a swift rewrite is in order!

I was also shocked at how many applicants there are per place, this is/was my "back up" so to speak but it's so competitive I've no idea why I'm trying!

Btw as you're from Leeds, I was told yesterday that Leeds REALLY appreciate people going for visits so definitely so as soon as you can go!

Donna
    That really shocked me as well, I was quite lucky that one of my lecturers last year was a Clinical Biochemist from the hospital down the road so they let me come down for the day and they explained everything to me and what I should write, I would have been clueless without that!!! Shame they didn't have any training positions down there

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Em.Notts,

I too am preparing for the Biochemist 2011 intake, i've been working in the nhs for 3 years now (so 4 when i apply next year) in a chemistry lab so i'm hoping that and the masters that i'm doing will be a real help for the application!!

It's rediculous that it's this competative for a job that pays the same as a pharmacist which is far easier to get into!

kat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLM113)
    Hey, Em.Notts,

I too am preparing for the Biochemist 2011 intake, i've been working in the nhs for 3 years now (so 4 when i apply next year) in a chemistry lab so i'm hoping that and the masters that i'm doing will be a real help for the application!!

It's rediculous that it's this competative for a job that pays the same as a pharmacist which is far easier to get into!

kat
    if it was abt the money, we wud apply to be a pharmacist then.

ReputationRep:
    How long were other peoples personal statements? Mine was just over 2000 words and 3 pages in total... I hope that wasn't too much or too little...

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics at Collindale, Guys, RLH and Manchester. Applied 2 years ago after my degree and got to the interview stage at Manchester but didn't get the job. So took a gap year, and now studying for a MSc in Transfusion & Transplantation Science. I feel like I've progressed a lot in the last year, so fingers crossed, but I guess with so many BSc/MSc/PhD students applying + people with experience it's impossible to predict... I just hate the waiting

As for replies, I think the automated one is all people will get. I was a bit anxious so emailed asking for a proper email to confirm they had received the application and got a fairly swift reply telling me not to worry.

(Original post by amyloov)
    How long were other peoples personal statements? Mine was just over 2000 words and 3 pages in total... I hope that wasn't too much or too little...
    It says in the application "You may continue on a separate sheet if necessary but please limit to 2 pages in total."

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

Donna
    HI PoisonDonna,

Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, should be fine as far as what you put make them see that you could be a good candidate. I would think that additional information showing experience, good communication skills, analytical mind and commintment is more important that anything else.

If they really want you to know from them rather than you showing them how you are, well, it does not make too much sense to me. They can check that out at the interview level (I consider that preparation for trhe interview, not material for the application form).

Anyway, I guess that every pannel for sorthlisting wil have a different approach to it... I think that making a good review of who you are, where you have been and where you want to go profesionally is the key.

I am for the visit in the next 3 weeks. I will post my findings...Thanks a lot for the advice...and keep it up!!

S.

ReputationRep:
    Just sent in my application there!Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLM113)
    Hey, Em.Notts,

It's rediculous that it's this competitive for a job that pays the same as a pharmacist which is far easier to get into!

kat

I know it's scary how competitive it is!

Wow 4 years lab based experience should help your application. I worked as a MLA in a clinical chemistry lab during the summers of my undergraduate degree. Going to go back there for some hints and tips on how to survive all this! lol

Have you any idea where you will be applying yet? I know it's early hehe.

Emma x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    It says in the application "You may continue on a separate sheet if necessary but please limit to 2 pages in total."
    I know as it does say that on the application, I was wondering how much people actually wrote though, and how did they structure it etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know as it does say that on the application, I was wondering how much people actually wrote though, and how did they structure it etc.
    ah k. Mine is just over 1,100 words (2 pages). I figured ease of reading was more important than loads of writing since they have so many to get through.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried to make mine easy to read and do it in sub sections.
    I was just wondering if the overall page limit is 4 pages including the first one, as on the application it comes with the first page and a second one, and then says you can continue on two more sheets if necessary? or is it 3 pages in total?

ReputationRep:
    I emailed round yesterday to my 4 choices asking for an informal visit, to find that one of the places aren't even taking a CS this year!!! Even though the advert has been up there since November AND IS STILL ON THERE. So had to email a changed application form (along with a fairly strongly worded complaint). Oh well, guess it's better I find out now. Silly Northgate

Yeah I tried to make mine easy to read and do it in sub sections.
    I was just wondering if the overall page limit is 4 pages including the first one, as on the application it comes with the first page and a second one, and then says you can continue on two more sheets if necessary? or is it 3 pages in total?
    It pretty clearly states 2 pages maximum, so I wouldn't risk it personally, but it's your prerogative

ReputationRep:
    Just sent mine off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarin_87)
    Hi guys Ive been following this thread for a few weeks now and decided to join in. I went to the London open day for clinical biochemistry- which is what Im applying for. Im in the process of finishing my personal statement but just wanted a few pointers, Ive covered the basic requirements as mentioned on the paper form but what else is worth mentioning. I know we are all competing against each other but any help would be appreciated.
    I've applied for analytical tox too. I had an interview last year and narrowly missed out (i got to bottom 2!) so thought i'd have another go :P fingers crossed now for everyone eh!

ReputationRep:
    How long should we wait before ringing them to ask if they have compiled the interview list? I was thinking end of Feb, but I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    Last year it was end of march when I was informed I had an interview. I think you are better just waiting for them to contact you then hassling them.

ReputationRep:
    2 years ago my interview was in May, and I was notified around end of march/beginning of april. I guess it may take a few weeks for Northgate to sort out sending the applications depending on how they organise it, so chances are the places haven't even read all the applications by the end of feb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    Oh dear! The university might ask to see it, but my NHS placement didn't. However all the placements are different and mine seem to be particularly easy going compared with some other peoples. I doubt they'll ask to see it though, you gaining entry to the MSc is usually good enough evidence for them. They just wanted things for a CRB check I think Where have you applied to?

Noangel, I ahve now been offred a place at Manchester Uni on the condition a gain a place on a clinical scientist position! Dont Manchester accept people with clinical scientist postiion anyway? so interview was a negative outcome?

I have applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cambridge and Reading! round 2 will be tougher than the MSc part!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.