Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    2 years ago my interview was in May, and I was notified around end of march/beginning of april. I guess it may take a few weeks for Northgate to sort out sending the applications depending on how they organise it, so chances are the places haven't even read all the applications by the end of feb.

The only thing I worry about is Northgate not recieving the applications, as (for people who applied last year) it wasnt a smooth operation.
    I got an email from them with the blank application form (not confirming the reciept of my application) and was told that the blank application form was confirmation

So I might phone the places I applied later in the month to make sure they got a copy of the application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Noangel, I ahve now been offred a place at Manchester Uni on the condition a gain a place on a clinical scientist position! Dont Manchester accept people with clinical scientist postiion anyway? so interview was a negative outcome?

I have applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cambridge and Reading! round 2 will be tougher than the MSc part!
    Hi.
    I've read through this forum and all the published advice and was still confused about the issue of applying to Uni separately for MSc audiology. I was told by a very helpful lady at Manchester Uni yesterday that the Uni application is essentially a formality for registration/admin purposes only- it has to be done at some point, but you're right, if you secure a clinical scientist placement, you will get a place on the MSc course. I still need to apply to a Uni but submitted my clinical scientist application last week. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I worry about is Northgate not recieving the applications, as (for people who applied last year) it wasnt a smooth operation.
    I got an email from them with the blank application form (not confirming the reciept of my application) and was told that the blank application form was confirmation

So I might phone the places I applied later in the month to make sure they got a copy of the application!
    Same here... I was concerned about the application process being unreliable from reading on this thread.
    I sent my application form off last week and haven’t received any conformation so yesterday I called up Northgate, I was told they had received my application so I would recommend doing that if you are worried.

ReputationRep:
    This year they did scrap the online application system since it was so rubbish. If everyone asks for confirmation hopefully they'll realise next year they need to organise that too. It's bizarre how inefficient a system that's run for years can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephy89)
    Same here... I was concerned about the application process being unreliable from reading on this thread.
    I sent my application form off last week and haven’t received any conformation so yesterday I called up Northgate, I was told they had received my application so I would recommend doing that if you are worried.

Thats funny? as I phoned Northgate and the girl said that she has thousands of applications so cant confirm direct to me! I must have got through to the wrong person at the wrong time! anyway she said if I got the email that was confirmation. just have to trust them I guess! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They must have some way to find applications. When I asked to change my application they said they changed it no problem (I presume they're not going to have both copies of my application since that would boost my application to over 4 places). Maybe they can trace it easier by email address rather than over the phone? It's either that or they're fobbing people off with easy answers. Either way not much we can do.

ReputationRep:
    Noangel, I ahve now been offred a place at Manchester Uni on the condition a gain a place on a clinical scientist position! Dont Manchester accept people with clinical scientist postiion anyway? so interview was a negative outcome?

I have applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cambridge and Reading! round 2 will be tougher than the MSc part!
    Hey Sambo! Congrats! It's the first part out of the way now. It's much better to already have your MSc place before interview as when you go for your clinical scientist interviews, they'll ask if you have a place, and it'll be an extra 'point' if you do. Interview outcome not really negative as getting MSc place first is best way round to do things. so well done and good luck hearing from the placements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boomers)
    Hi.
    I've read through this forum and all the published advice and was still confused about the issue of applying to Uni separately for MSc audiology. I was told by a very helpful lady at Manchester Uni yesterday that the Uni application is essentially a formality for registration/admin purposes only- it has to be done at some point, but you're right, if you secure a clinical scientist placement, you will get a place on the MSc course. I still need to apply to a Uni but submitted my clinical scientist application last week. Good luck!
    I didn't realise this when I was applying last year, but I did find out from one girl that she just got a place on the MSc as she had a clinical scientist post. however, in my interview, they asked about whether i'd already applied for the MSc and they were very pleased that I'd already gained a place. So you have to do the process whichever way around.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I ask a really silly question! I am thinking about applying for Clinical Biochemistry next year and would quite like to know how the application process works. Do you apply to a specific lab or do you do it by region only? I'm a bit confused as I've heard people refer to regions and specific places.

Could someone please tell me which regions are availible and which places are covered by these regions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny83)
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I ask a really silly question! I am thinking about applying for Clinical Biochemistry next year and would quite like to know how the application process works. Do you apply to a specific lab or do you do it by region only? I'm a bit confused as I've heard people refer to regions and specific places.

Could someone please tell me which regions are availible and which places are covered by these regions?
    Hi you apply to regions such as London, South East, South West, Midlands, North West, North East.

The hospitals in the region depend on whether they have vacancies or not.

If you send a blank email to Northgate then you should get an app form & handbook for this year which you can look at.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sparkle

Thanks for replying to my post so quickly! I've tried calling Northgate for more information but haven't been able to get through to them. Will try emailing them as you suggested. For the time being, can I assume that on the application form you would specify several regions eg Midlands, London etc, have an interview for one or all of those regions (if you're lucky) and then if you are successful, do you just wait and see where in that region you are allocated to? What I'm trying to ascertain is whether you can state a preference for a particular hospital upfront on the application form (eg Midlands, preferably Birmingham - assuming Birmingham has advertised places of course) or whether you just take pot luck? I'm asking all of these questions to figure out whether it is worth my while applying to this. It sounds like an amazing career but I'm not that flexible in terms of location -- I would really need to stay in the Warwickshire area (or within a commutable distance) because of my husband's job.

Many thanks for your help
    Jenny x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny83)
    Hi Sparkle

Thanks for replying to my post so quickly! I've tried calling Northgate for more information but haven't been able to get through to them. Will try emailing them as you suggested. For the time being, can I assume that on the application form you would specify several regions eg Midlands, London etc, have an interview for one or all of those regions (if you're lucky) and then if you are successful, do you just wait and see where in that region you are allocated to? What I'm trying to ascertain is whether you can state a preference for a particular hospital upfront on the application form (eg Midlands, preferably Birmingham - assuming Birmingham has advertised places of course) or whether you just take pot luck? I'm asking all of these questions to figure out whether it is worth my while applying to this. It sounds like an amazing career but I'm not that flexible in terms of location -- I would really need to stay in the Warwickshire area (or within a commutable distance) because of my husband's job.

Many thanks for your help
    Jenny x
    I recommened you email/ring a lab manager as I've been told you have to be flexible and you'll be sent on rotations around your area (the south east stretches from Oxford to Brighton) and the first few years you're bascially living out of a box unless you're in London.

But please get in contact with someone about it because I don't want to put you off applying as what I've been told may have been exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_Notts)
    I know it's scary how competitive it is!

Wow 4 years lab based experience should help your application. I worked as a MLA in a clinical chemistry lab during the summers of my undergraduate degree. Going to go back there for some hints and tips on how to survive all this! lol

Have you any idea where you will be applying yet? I know it's early hehe.

Emma x
    Hey Em Notts, sorry for late reply! I'm thinking leeds sheffield and maybe bristol! what about you?
    wow you seem to have really relavent experience also you managed to get it whilst finishing your degree so that should be a good advantage over other people!
    Kat

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone know i was thinking of applying for the analytical toxocology job but i think there is only one available do you think it would look bad if i then applied to 3 biochem ones or would that be a bad idea coz they like people being specific? kat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLM113)
    Also, does anyone know i was thinking of applying for the analytical toxocology job but i think there is only one available do you think it would look bad if i then applied to 3 biochem ones or would that be a bad idea coz they like people being specific? kat
    I remember being told at an open day they won't throw anyone away who has applied for toxicology & biochem but they will for other combinations.

ReputationRep:
    I was told immunology and biochem is ok too? I think if you apply to three of one and another linked one it's fine, they just don't want all 4 choices different because it doesn't seem like you want the job. Personally I could only apply to biochem, so it's fine!

ReputationRep:
    Its just a waiting game for interviews for all clinical scientist roles for 2010 intake now!
    Hows everyone feeling? And when interview letters start flooding in lets post them on here to see when the rest of us start to expect to hear!

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling nervous to the point of neurosis. :P

Fingers crossed for everyone! This waiting bit is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the waiting is definately hard. I keep thinking of things I wished I'd included in my application which doesn't help. Guess I can only hope I get an interview so i have the opportunity to tell tem about it then!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Loads sparkle and poison donna that's great! really solves a lot of problems i was having!

Seems like a really exciting career no matter which disiplin you choose! and it's really rewarding to find something that actually uses the degree's we did!

Kat

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.