Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Applying for analytical toxicology and biochem is fine, as the former is just a subdivision of the latter anyway.
    Different regional Trainers have different opinions on applying for different disciplines.
    A haematologist told me that they discarded applications with haematology and others, as it showed lack of focus, whereas a different tutor told me it doesn’t make a difference if you have two different disciplines on your application. After all, this makes sense because they are all closely linked sections of PATHOLOGY and if you are a fresh graduate you probably have a vague idea of which discipline but you cannot know until you start the job, no one can.
    So in my opinion, two disciplines on one application is ok, e.g.
    Biochem and analytical toxicology
    Immunology and H & I
    Biochem and haematology (blood sciences)
    BUT... as its down to the individual manager, perhaps not chance it and just go down the one route – after all, with so many applications per post, the manager is going to have to look for the smallest things to discard your application.

Good luck to everyone who applied.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got down to final two for analyt. tox and they went against me because I'd put some other options down, including mol. gen. I have a very broad scientific background in terms of experience, felt equally (un)prepared for both and didn't know anything about the application (ie that the interviewers will see all of your options - I thought the recruitment agency just forward them on.)

But they said with biochem it would have been fine - I think they were more miffed I hadn' applied for biochem actually!

ReputationRep:
    I would also just like to say please don’t be disappointed if you are not successful for an interview. I have applied to the scheme for the last four years!! The first year I had done everything right e.g perfect application form, loads of lab visits, had 2 years lab experience working in university research labs with body fluids – and I was told by a regional tutor I would have an “edge” over other applicants. I didn’t even get short-listed and cried for 3 days! Thats because I really had my heart set on a grade A post and didn’t know what else to do. So after years of research all I can say that the competition is so fierce its ridiculous! For example you will be up against:
    - Phd applicants
    - Qualified biomed scientists wanting to switch to clinical science
    - Technicians who already work in the lab are encouraged by the manager to apply (so basically the post is already filled!)
    Don’t despair though because each manager really has different ideas on who to employ. I’ve met two grade A’s who were fresh graduates (one had even applied for micro and bichem posts– so it cannot be that much of a no-no) but the last four I spoke to all had PhD’s.
    So have a back up plan – maybe go down the BMS route as the next best thing, or do a bloody PhD if that’s what they all expect now!
    Last year I was shortlisted so, fingers crossed, it will be third time lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - analytical toxicology and genetics! they are poles apart in the NHS (Biochemists and Geneticists are enemies lol!) But unless you actually have NHS experience you have no idea, the undergraduate degree does give you broad training and you become interested in HUMAN DISEASE so its really tough to pick a single speciality. But well done for getting shortlisted you must be doing something right! Maybe this time......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Andais)
    Yeah - analytical toxicology and genetics! they are poles apart in the NHS (Biochemists and Geneticists are enemies lol!) But unless you actually have NHS experience you have no idea, the undergraduate degree does give you broad training and you become interested in HUMAN DISEASE so its really tough to pick a single speciality. But well done for getting shortlisted you must be doing something right! Maybe this time......
    Haha I know but I had no experience of it! My course combined biochem and genetics plus I had work exp of both so to me it seemed fine And yes I got an interview and they said it was final two so just shows you can do both!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and good luck to aplicants for this year!

Kat

ReputationRep:
    Hi people. I'm so glad i found this thread, i'm taking a year off uni atm and have been doing a lot of thinking about what to do afterwards. I really like the sound of clinical science but I just feel like it's an unrealistic goal as it's so competitive. I'm expecting a 2.1. in my biology degree but i've had no experience what so ever. I just want to ask what experience do you need? How to go about finding placements? And people have mentioned lab visits which i didn't know you could do, how do you normally go about arranging those? I'm particularly interested in genetics and most of modules are in human genetics. If I take a masters in genetics, would that increase my chances? Should apply after the masters? Also would taking a year out after the second year of my degree put me at a disadvantage?
    Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graveyarddreams)
    Hi people. I'm so glad i found this thread, i'm taking a year off uni atm and have been doing a lot of thinking about what to do afterwards. I really like the sound of clinical science but I just feel like it's an unrealistic goal as it's so competitive. I'm expecting a 2.1. in my biology degree but i've had no experience what so ever. I just want to ask what experience do you need? How to go about finding placements? And people have mentioned lab visits which i didn't know you could do, how do you normally go about arranging those? I'm particularly interested in genetics and most of modules are in human genetics. If I take a masters in genetics, would that increase my chances? Should apply after the masters? Also would taking a year out after the second year of my degree put me at a disadvantage?
    Please help!
    It really varies depending on what the centres are looking for. Some people get the job straight after their degree, some work for a few years in the research field before getting onto the clinical career path. So it's a case of every little helps. There's no clear-cut do this, this and this and you're guaranteed the job, but obviously the more specific experience you have the better.

A MSc would probably increase your chances, but there's no harm in applying straight after your degree with the MSc as a backup in case you don't get a job first time. It really seems to be try, try and try again until you get in, so apply every chance you get and if you don't get the job work on getting more experience so you have a better chance next time. Take every opportunity you can get (so if you can get a placement, do), and a year in the industry would strengthen your application. They won't be looking for specifically clinical experience, any genetics experience in research etc. will be a plus.

The lab visits are generally only for people who are applying for the jobs, to give them a chance to look around the labs and ask questions (just like any other career open day). Also it gives a chance to find out specific information about the labs (i.e. gives you more to talk about in interviews to show off a little), and gives a chance to show enthusiasm and hope that they remember your name when they're looking through applications. Usually labs won't allow visits just for the hell of it, but they might let you visit if you ask nicely (maybe if a clinical scientist ever lectures on your course you could ask them about a visit?).

NB: All that is pretty general advice, I don't know about genetics specifically. I'm applying for immunogenetics, so I assume in a lot of ways it'll be pretty similar, but there's probably someone here who can talk about the procedure for genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So, I recognise a few names on here from last year! I'm back again applying for audiology. Last year I got 2 interviews, but no places unfortunately....so here to give it another go! I had the same response from Northgate - tried calling and they said that the automated response was the 'confirmation email' hmmmmm! I don't really trust them after last year's general chaos, so going to email all the places in March to double check they actually got anything!

Where has everyone applied to? 3 out of my 4 are the same as last year - I don't know whether that shows dedication or desperation!! Or they just won't remember me anyway! Didn't apply to North West as I heard bad things about them from a girl I met at an interview in Sheffield who had had an interview at Manchester!

Anyway, good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spitefulelf)
    Didn't apply to North West as I heard bad things about them from a girl I met at an interview in Sheffield who had had an interview at Manchester!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    What did you hear? :ninja:

I applied to Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield and London.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, Manchester are quite scary in the interview! But they're only trying to get the best person for the job. Good luck for interviews. I think it was end of March/April when the interviews were sent out last year. If anyone needs any Audiology advice then just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    Apparently, Manchester are quite scary in the interview! But they're only trying to get the best person for the job. Good luck for interviews. I think it was end of March/April when the interviews were sent out last year. If anyone needs any Audiology advice then just ask.
    When I went on my clinical visit, the girls on the scheme now said they put you in a room with a flipchart and a pen and give you a clinical science topic to make a presentation on, and you have 30 mins to do it. I assume that's the scary bit?!

ReputationRep:
    Well the people that got training posts from manchester are still too terrified to even talk about their interviews... (just kidding here!). Nobody mentioned flip charts but all talked about scary stuff. However, if offered an interview, i'd be inclined to go and see for myself...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it was a mistake putting Manchester as a choice! but somone has to get in!

The waiting game is unbarable! Noangel do you know how many people turned down the SHA funding at manchester because they scured a Clinical scientist role last year? just thinking what the odds are of geting onto the 11 places for SHA funding incase I dont secure a clnical scientist role

ReputationRep:
    Im dying to know what exactly the interviews at Manchester were like????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Looks like it was a mistake putting Manchester as a choice! but somone has to get in!

The waiting game is unbarable! Noangel do you know how many people turned down the SHA funding at manchester because they scured a Clinical scientist role last year? just thinking what the odds are of geting onto the 11 places for SHA funding incase I dont secure a clnical scientist role
    I think only one person that wanted SHA funding actually got turned down (based only on the people actually on the course... not sure if any didn't come at all because of no funding). however, 8 people have clinical scientist training places and I can guess maybe 5 or 6 had SHA places that they then turned down. Fairly high chance of getting one I'd say.

And about the Manchester interview- didn't mean to scare anyone! Apparently they did the 'good cop, bad cop' routine. But I don't know for sure. I think it was hard in that you needed to know quite a bit about what to expect in Audiology, so make sure you've visited some departments and seen some things!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Could somebody explain a bit more about this SHA funding? I'm applying for the clinical scientist training scheme, and when filling in applications to the MSc I stated that that was my intended means of funding - I'm wondering now if I should have specified a 'plan b'?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all again,

I'm hoping someone can help out - I've just received a rejection letter from Southampton Uni What does this mean for my application to do the Audiology training scheme though? If I were to be rejected from Manchester Uni too, would this mean that regardless of my application to the training scheme I wouldn't be able to do it, due to not having a place on the MSc? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spitefulelf)
    Hi guys,

...if you get a funded NHS place, you're pretty much guaranteed to get on the MSc, so I don't think there's any point in worrying about that too!...
    Do you know if this is true even if you have actually been rejected for a place on the MSc, rather than just not having heard from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    Hi all again,

I'm hoping someone can help out - I've just received a rejection letter from Southampton Uni What does this mean for my application to do the Audiology training scheme though? If I were to be rejected from Manchester Uni too, would this mean that regardless of my application to the training scheme I wouldn't be able to do it, due to not having a place on the MSc? :confused:

Well Manchester uni should have told you if you have had either an SHA funding place on the course or a conditional offer ie securing a clinical scientist position? have you attended the manchester uni interviews? Manchester uni will revert to first come first serve I guess if you have a clnical scientist role later on

Noangel... Does seem good odds for geting onto the SHA funding place if I fail securing a clinical scientist role! But are the non SHA funded people in a que to get the places that are tunred down? Wish manchester uni tell us where we are in that que!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.