Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Questions for Manchester Uni are exactly like you said-apitude for learning and research. Expect questions about previous research (depends on your background, but usually your undergrad dissertation), asking about how you undertook the research, stats that you may be familiar with. Nothing scary at all.

They may ask why you want to go into Audiology, what experience you have (did you go on any hospital visits?). What do you know so far about audiology- are there any aspects that interest you?

The interview is pretty straight forward.

I tend to wear smart trousers and blouse type thing with heels. Think suits are fab idea also, I just feel more comfortable like that, though better to overdress probably than under.

Good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    Cheers for advice. Can you give any insight into the kinds of questions you were asked? Thanks a lot
    Yes NoAngel pretty much had it spot on with the types of questions. I was asked about my dissertation, why I wanted to go into audiology etc etc mostly questions you would expect.

But I also had other wierd tasks. I had to explain how I would go about doing a hearing test on somebody (without any technical knowledge obviously): i think it was just testing your people skills. Also I was given a statement on a piece of paper (there were lots of sheets so I'm guessing it was different for each candidate) and I had to explain whether the statement was true or false. I don't think there was a right or wrong answer, I just had to explain my ideas.

Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both very much CicIT and NoAngel, that's really very helpful

(Original post by NoAngel)
    I tend to wear smart trousers and blouse type thing with heels.
    Being a lad this might look a bit odd on me, but cheers for the suggestion! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    Thank you both very much CicIT and NoAngel, that's really very helpful

Being a lad this might look a bit odd on me, but cheers for the suggestion! :p:

Yeah, it just might look a bit odd. Would give them something to giggle about though :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misanthropic)
    BabyGirl - a biology degree would be relevant and yes you could apply for a clinical scientist role BUT biology is a very broad topic and a lot of your degree would be useless (plants etc).
    If teaching is your first choice - stay the course
    But if your genuinely interested in clinical science I would persue a more focused biology degree!
    Biomedical science
    Anatomy
    Physiology
    Molecular Medicine
    Biochemistry
    Genetics
    Immunology
    Etc....

Edit: it would be hard to choose a specific topic like immunology/genetics this early on to find you do not like it but i would recommend doing biomedical science - it basically covers all the topics and gives you an idea of what you actually like!

Wow! I'm going to study Biomedical Science this year. I didn't know that I could work as a Clinical Scientist after that! And the salary is so impressive up to 95000... wow.. I think I finally found what I want to do after my graduation I was thinking about looking for a job as a Biomedical Scientist but Clinical Scientist look much more prospective!!
    I'm new on this thread. Can anyone narrow me on what should I focus during studying at University to become a Clinical Scientist??
    I will really appreciate if someone reply

Regards

Ania

ReputationRep:
    Any non-audiology people heard back yet? I'm starting to wait by my letterbox every morning

(Original post by Ania1988)
    Wow! I'm going to study Biomedical Science this year. I didn't know that I could work as a Clinical Scientist after that! And the salary is so impressive up to 95000... wow.. I think I finally found what I want to do after my graduation I was thinking about looking for a job as a Biomedical Scientist but Clinical Scientist look much more prospective!!
    I'm new on this thread. Can anyone narrow me on what should I focus during studying at University to become a Clinical Scientist??
    I will really appreciate if someone reply

Regards

Ania
    It depends on the field, there's no "You must study this module/degree to do clinical science". If you want to work in genetics, pick out genetics modules. If you want to work in immunology, pick out immunology modules. With a biomed degree you should be pretty much in the middle to work on a variety of fields due to the wide range of modules, but if you have a particular field in mind then choose relevant modules to pick up as much knowledge as possible.

Practical experience is important too, so take any opportunity to get lab experience. If your course doesn't include a year in the industry it may be an idea to write to labs asking for work experience over the summer holidays. After the first year will probably be a bit soon, but you should be able to find something between 2nd and 3rd year. The application does ask to prove you've taken your initiative, so that's quite a nice way of ticking that box.

Other than that, it's pretty much take whatever opportunity you can to make sure you stand out. Biomedical Scientists and Clinical Scientists are pretty much the same except CSs get the authority to consult with doctors on clinical decisions, so the two aren't that far removed at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Any non-audiology people heard back yet? I'm starting to wait by my letterbox every morning

It depends on the field, there's no "You must study this module/degree to do clinical science". If you want to work in genetics, pick out genetics modules. If you want to work in immunology, pick out immunology modules. With a biomed degree you should be pretty much in the middle to work on a variety of fields due to the wide range of modules, but if you have a particular field in mind then choose relevant modules to pick up as much knowledge as possible.

Practical experience is important too, so take any opportunity to get lab experience. If your course doesn't include a year in the industry it may be an idea to write to labs asking for work experience over the summer holidays. After the first year will probably be a bit soon, but you should be able to find something between 2nd and 3rd year. The application does ask to prove you've taken your initiative, so that's quite a nice way of ticking that box.

Other than that, it's pretty much take whatever opportunity you can to make sure you stand out. Biomedical Scientists and Clinical Scientists are pretty much the same except CSs get the authority to consult with doctors on clinical decisions, so the two aren't that far removed at all.
    Thank you so much for your reply. It really helped me a lot. Now I know what to do Thank you once again

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything yet? The place I applied to now have my application form. She said that they will contact ppl for interviews in the next 2 weeks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    Has anyone heard anything yet? The place I applied to now have my application form. She said that they will contact ppl for interviews in the next 2 weeks!!
    How did you phrase the email you sent asking if they had received your application? I'm tempted to write one, but I don't want to embarrass myself so no idea how to word it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear from the clinical biochemistry posts. I'm so nervous, and I wish they'd hurry up and let me know if I've been shortlisted.

Has anyone else heard anything back yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    How did you phrase the email you sent asking if they had received your application? I'm tempted to write one, but I don't want to embarrass myself so no idea how to word it.
    I just simply asked if they had received my application and they were very polite about telling me they had.

ReputationRep:
    HELLO EVERY BODY JUST JOINED, AND INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO APPLIED FOR CLINICAL SCIENTIST TRAINING AND NOT A UK NORMAL RESIDENTS, AND NOW WORKING WITHIN THIS PROFFESSION OR APPLIED NOW OR BEFORE..
    BEST REGARDS TO ALL OF U.
    ZAC:nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear from the clinical biochemistry posts. I'm so nervous, and I wish they'd hurry up and let me know if I've been shortlisted.

Has anyone else heard anything back yet?
    not heard a thing yet....wait is making me very nervous, dont know what to do if am not shortlisted at the least

ReputationRep:
    Received a letter inviting me for interview today for south central region for clinical biochemistry. So they must be starting to let people know. Argh am so nervous now! so happy to be shortlisted though, actually can't believe it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clinical biochem wanabe)
    Received a letter inviting me for interview today for south central region for clinical biochemistry. So they must be starting to let people know. Argh am so nervous now! so happy to be shortlisted though, actually can't believe it!
    WELL DONE!!!

I'll give it 3-4 days and assume I haven't been shortlisted for SC. Wouldn't suprise me though, I made a gigantic cockup on my additional info that SC would definitely pick up on.

ReputationRep:
    did you have any work expereince before u applied?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

Do you have a date for the interview? Middle April?

Thanks,

S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    WELL DONE!!!

I'll give it 3-4 days and assume I haven't been shortlisted for SC. Wouldn't suprise me though, I made a gigantic cockup on my additional info that SC would definitely pick up on.
    I received an email from them with letter as attachment, so maybe check your email?
    I'm sure you couldn't of made that big a cockup? where else you applied to? goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yatsy)
    did you have any work expereince before u applied?
    No work experience, only university placement. Still an undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiccato)
    Congratulations!

Do you have a date for the interview? Middle April?

Thanks,

S.
    20th April

I know interviews for london are after this but not sure about any others. Think they are all mid-end april.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.