Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What format were the interview invites in? Email or post? Need to know whether I should be sitting by my letterbox or inbox :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    What format were the interview invites in? Email or post? Need to know whether I should be sitting by my letterbox or inbox :p:
    Well, my first was a voicemail (I had left my phone at home), and then the second was by email - so it is the preference of the centre. But both have since sent me confirmation details by email and post, and I have had to talk to both over the phone, so, sorry I cannot be of further assisstance. For informing you of the interview I think they would not prefer snail mail tho as they require a prompt response (generally only get ~1 week notice, and you have to prepare something for them - at least for Physics)

Oh, and I too just received the Northgate email confirmation thingy (bit late considering I already have the interviews, and I knew Northgate had received my app as I got an email saying so in Jan). Maybe lots of people have been ringing them, so they sent out an auto email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    I've just had an email from Northgate acknowledging the receipt of my application form, and that my application has been forwarded. How strange that it has taken them that long to tell me that they've received my application form.

Fingers crossed now for an interview.
    I just got that email too, absolutely gutted when I read it. Thought it might have been an interview invite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I just got that email too, absolutely gutted when I read it. Thought it might have been an interview invite.
    Yep me too - heart's still pounding.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wonder just how much Northgate rake in for simply holding on to, then finally passing on the applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    Am I the one only one who applied to do genetics??
    Ive applied to genetics too. Anyone heard anything from any of the genetics labs?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I got the email too. I don't think I'm as stressed about this as some on here, maybe that's a bad thing but I've found something I REALLY wanna do next year instead!

ReputationRep:
    am i the only one to get the email! with all other applicants emails on it also?
    Im not holding my breath now there seems to be a massive increase in applications this year especially for audiology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    am i the only one to get the email! with all other applicants emails on it also?
    Im not holding my breath now there seems to be a massive increase in applications this year especially for audiology.

I never noticed the to list.

Oh god. Must be about 250+ names on that list and that's only those with emails beginning R-S

ReputationRep:
    How do you know there are so many for Audiology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDK)
    How do you know there are so many for Audiology?

I dont know, its just a feeling from what I noticed from last year applications (its my second go this year). There seemed to be more people on open days and more people on here also who want to do audiology. Hardley an indicator just me looking at the glass half empty!

Sparkle.... I had a go counting how many emails there were (i gave up very fast)

Ah well wait and see I guess.

Any one else had invites to interviews?

ReputationRep:
    A tip for Audiology interviews- might be in your interest to have read about the clinical training component. This is called the Higher Training Sceme (HTS), and has very recently replaced the CAC.

The BAA (British Society of Audology) website is fantastic for keeping up to date. http://theloop.netplan.co.uk/ It has lots of information about the training, which you may be expected to know a little about if asked at interview.

In addition it has useful resources that may be of interest to you. May make you stand out a bit more if you've done some research. Useful to look into the difference between an Audiologist and a Clinical Scientist in Audiology.

Hope this helps for interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, its just a feeling from what I noticed from last year applications (its my second go this year). There seemed to be more people on open days and more people on here also who want to do audiology. Hardley an indicator just me looking at the glass half empty!

Sparkle.... I had a go counting how many emails there were (i gave up very fast)

Ah well wait and see I guess.

Any one else had invites to interviews?
    Thanks for the reply.

If there are so many hundreds (or thousands) of applications being sent out then I would expect the LHAs to take a while going through the applications first before inviting candidates for interview.

Manchester University gave out some places on the MSc Audiology way back in January.

The email said "if you have heard nothing by the end of May please assume you have been unsuccessful." - that's a long time to bite nails, Jan - end of May.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I've been following the thread for a while but just decided I should really join in! :ciao:

I've applied for immunology and histocompatibility and immunogenetics training posts - for those they said that they get >100 applicants for every post and that the number of applicants has increased hugely the last couple of years due to the curent economic climate as it's seen as a pretty solid career path :eek3:

They also said it always takes ages for Northgate to send all the applications to them but once they get them they like to go through them as quickly as they can so that the best applicants aren't snapped up before they get round to interviewing! So fingers crossed they'll all start sending out interview invites soon - just hope I get one....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivski)
    Hi all, I've been following the thread for a while but just decided I should really join in! :ciao:

I've applied for immunology and histocompatibility and immunogenetics training posts - for those they said that they get >100 applicants for every post and that the number of applicants has increased hugely the last couple of years due to the curent economic climate as it's seen as a pretty solid career path :eek3:

They also said it always takes ages for Northgate to send all the applications to them but once they get them they like to go through them as quickly as they can so that the best applicants aren't snapped up before they get round to interviewing! So fingers crossed they'll all start sending out interview invites soon - just hope I get one....
    Finally another H&I applicant!

Which labs did you apply for? (I applied for Colindale, Royal London, Manchester & Cardiff)

Hopefully it won't be as bad as 100+, usually it's 70-80 from what I've heard... but I guess there is always a chance of applicant numbers skyrocketing any year.

ReputationRep:
    My 'to' list was hidden, so I cannot even peek a look at the potential applicant no.s.

Don't worry that the no.s are large though, as they are sending it out to all disciplines, so that list contains EVERYBODY from EVERY discipline, not just your own (I would assume). AND - they will not all have applied for the same posts as you - you never know, you may have applied for a centre that only receives ~15 apps? It is possible!

Think positive everyone! and :p:

ReputationRep:
    Svenjamin, I applied to Manchester and Cardiff for H+I and also to Preston and Southampton for Immunology. Was one of the consultants at manchester H+I open day who said they get over 100 applicants per post but hopefully it won't really be that bad! Think they are expecting extra this year because there were only them and Cardiff outside of London and there are always a lot of people who don't want to love in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivski)
    and there are always a lot of people who don't want to love in London.
    Is that why they weekend in the country?

ReputationRep:
    I think that works both ways though. While lots of people apply for jobs outside of London because of high living costs in London, lots of people apply for jobs in London just because it's the big city. Plus Royal London probably has the biggest name, and Colindale has the national cord blood bank, so those are 2 massive draws.

With only 5 or 6 different posts in H&I and 4 choices, I doubt there'll be a huge difference in application numbers between centres (although I'd guess Royal London and Manchester will probably be slightly higher due to reputation and facilities).

With high applicant numbers I always hope a majority of them are from undergrads applying for any old job and not putting much effort in. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDK)
    Is that why they weekend in the country?
    oops :facepalm: hope I didn't make any spelling mistakes like that on the application :o:

Svenjamin, I didn't mean they will get more than those in London, just that they are expecting more applications this year than usual as there are fewer options outside london for the people who don't want to go there (including me!)

Have to say I'm hoping the same as you - I'm sure they do get some applications they can bin straight away from people who don't make any effort!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.