Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. First time poster here

I applied for Medical Physics in Reading group, Birmingham group, Manchester group and Leicester.

I have an interview tomorrow in Oxford (Reading group) and one next Friday in Stoke (Brum group), and it is nerve wrecking Especially the Stoke one, as I have to do an 8min presentation on powerpoint.

Still haven't heard back from Manchester/Leicester yet though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marabak)
    Hey guys. First time poster here

I applied for Medical Physics in Reading group, Birmingham group, Manchester group and Leicester.

I have an interview tomorrow in Oxford (Reading group) and one next Friday in Stoke (Brum group), and it is nerve wrecking Especially the Stoke one, as I have to do an 8min presentation on powerpoint.

Still haven't heard back from Manchester/Leicester yet though.
    Hi Marabak,

Did you also get the email a few days ago telling you that your applications had been passed on or did you get that one a lot earlier than a lot of us.

Oh, and good luck on the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I spoke with a course leader from one of the unis today and she said that she had never known so many applications (this was for Audiology). I guess people are looking for what is probably seen as a secure career path at the moment, given the recession and general mood. Typical of me to decide to apply for something just as it becomes mega-competitive!

Quick question to those that applied last year: if you weren't invited to an interview for nhs training, I assume you weren't notified that you hadn't been invited?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I have followed this thread for approx 2 years. I have applied for 3 years for clinical biochemistry posts and have been successful once. Stupidly i declined it the first time i got it!!!!!

I have applied this year and was wondering if anyone has heard anything back from Leeds for biochemistry posts. I know that Manchester are holding theres on 13th of April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drywater12345)
    Hi Guys,

I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I have followed this thread for approx 2 years. I have applied for 3 years for clinical biochemistry posts and have been successful once. Stupidly i declined it the first time i got it!!!!!

I have applied this year and was wondering if anyone has heard anything back from Leeds for biochemistry posts. I know that Manchester are holding theres on 13th of April.

I applied to Manchester for a clinical biochemistry post. I've heard nothing about the interviews being on the 13th of April. Maybe I've been unsuccessful for the Manc post.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Drywater,

Well, it is a learning curve for everybody, no regrets if you learn something...I am applying for Leeds and Manchester. I haven't heard from them yet (Northgate just told me today that my applications are with them so at least I know nobody screw it) so playing the waiting game.

No idea from Leeds...
    Manchester to be hold on 13th? Did you get that from them?
    Anybody knows when London and SC may happen?

I am leaving a 45K job for this so better I get some e-mails soon!!!!!:eek3:

All the best.

S.

ReputationRep:
    Last week i got an email from northgate sayin my application has been sent to all the applied positions. I got a call last week and an email confirmation today from Manc post.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Drywater,

Oh great...I give myself after the Easter break to contact directly all the positions I have applied for feedback relative to the process of selection...Last year most of the interviews were offered by the end of the first week of April...

S.

ReputationRep:
    Do not give up hope Spiccato.

All the different positions get back to you at different times, some quicker and some slower. After easter as you say is when most people begin to get invites for interviews. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    This question is for audiology.... What advantage do audilogists have when applying for clinical scientist roles in audiology? anyone on here who is an audiologist already?

im geting a tad peeved when I look at my post everyday and dont see an invite!

ReputationRep:
    I was shortlisted for h & I last year at Manchester . There were around 85 applicants and 8 were invited for interview which involved a presentation and comprehension test. As I recall, invites were sent out earlish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    This question is for audiology.... What advantage do audilogists have when applying for clinical scientist roles in audiology? anyone on here who is an audiologist already?

im geting a tad peeved when I look at my post everyday and dont see an invite!
    Do you mean what advantages do those who have done a BSc in Audiology followed by applying for MSc/Clincial scientist training have on those coming form non audiology background? I would say minimal as not all the MSc courses even accept people with audiology BSc. They will still find the MSc hard.

Is that what you meant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    Do you mean what advantages do those who have done a BSc in Audiology followed by applying for MSc/Clincial scientist training have on those coming form non audiology background? I would say minimal as not all the MSc courses even accept people with audiology BSc. They will still find the MSc hard.

Is that what you meant?

Yes thats what I meant thanks! Its just that I noticed a few audiologists at the manchester uni interview and thought they must have an advantage over us who dont have such a background and insider knowledge as they do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats what I meant thanks! Its just that I noticed a few audiologists at the manchester uni interview and thought they must have an advantage over us who dont have such a background and insider knowledge as they do.
    Actual I spoke to someone who currently works as an audiologist but wanted to do the clinical scientist training, who believed that some of the training providers prefer people who don't have experience of working in this area, because they wanted to retain a pool of people working at lower bands within the NHS, and bring in people from outside to work as clinical scientists.

This is just hearsay, but worth mentioning I thought!

ReputationRep:
    any1 heard anything about biochem post?

ReputationRep:
    When people decide to do the BSc they are normally around 17 years old and not always thinking too far in the future. However once qualified the realisation that the job of an Audiologist is usually on NHS Band 5 then becomes clear. Clinical scientists start on band 6, so already there is quite a substantial difference in pay.

Clinical scientists then are more likely to run the department and move further up the ladder which is again why they may want to re train. Most places prefer not to train audiologists as clinical scientists though, for whatever reasons. So I think you'd actualy be at an advantage if you haven't studied audiology before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    When people decide to do the BSc they are normally around 17 years old and not always thinking too far in the future. However once qualified the realisation that the job of an Audiologist is usually on NHS Band 5 then becomes clear. Clinical scientists start on band 6, so already there is quite a substantial difference in pay.

Clinical scientists then are more likely to run the department and move further up the ladder which is again why they may want to re train. Most places prefer not to train audiologists as clinical scientists though, for whatever reasons. So I think you'd actualy be at an advantage if you haven't studied audiology before!
    That's interesting to hear confirmed NoAngel, thanks. Rather puts me off any thoughts I might have had about taking an SHA funded place on the Masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    That's interesting to hear confirmed NoAngel, thanks. Rather puts me off any thoughts I might have had about taking an SHA funded place on the Masters.
    I think audiologists trained via MSc Audiology then SHA route are still in a much higher place that those trained via BSc route (and sorry, don't mean to offend BSc trained audiologists). There are more job opportunities if you have the MSc regardless of whether you are an Audiologist/Clinical Scientist.

I personally only wanted to study the MSc if I got the clinical scientist post to go with it, but many many more are on the SHA route and have a bright career ahead also. Those that go on to do a PHD are again improving job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yatsy)
    any1 heard anything about biochem post?

Not yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDK)
    Hi Marabak,

Did you also get the email a few days ago telling you that your applications had been passed on or did you get that one a lot earlier than a lot of us.

Oh, and good luck on the interviews.

Hey I said a few days ago that I already had interviews, before I got the Northgate email - and I got this email a lot later than most on here I might add!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.