The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
fishdrivingcars
I'm confused about UCL, I emailed them about the course and I got an email back saying they did not have any clinical science places for this year?

Well they don't have the funding for the second placement year (if you don't get a training post), as Southampton and Manchester do, but they have places for MSc in Audiological Sciences. I had an interview last week and they were asking me if I have applied to the Clinical Scientist Scheme, and explained if I don't get it then I can still do the MSc (obviously self funded) and then a training year after that but that's self funded too, and then qualify as an audiologist.

I visited one of the clinics and the clinical scientist showing me around said that UCL isn't as good as the others though, so a bit confused about it.
Reply 781
CicIt
Ok now I'm nervous. I didn't apply to Manchester, but if they have sent out invites to interview than other centres may have as well. What other three centres did you apply to Sambo?

I think you are right about the Manchester Uni offers though, they probably offer most people conditional places, as only a small number will get Clinical Scientist positions. Did anybody apply to UCL?

I just wish they would let us know if we have been unsuccessful.

I have applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cambridge and Reading. Looks like most people have as I spoke to a guy at the uni interview and he has applied to the same posts so has fishdrivingcars (intresting name btw). I had the north wales one on my short list till the last min and changed my mind.

Where did you apply?

They are only a hand full of people on here applying for audiology this year so (I hope not) all on here might not be invited to anything! nightmare

I dont want to be a position where im just waiting to see if I get onto the SHA funded place!
as I understand it UCL are not accredited yet plus I have wife and child so self funding is no way an option for me! booo
CicIt
Well they don't have the funding for the second placement year (if you don't get a training post), as Southampton and Manchester do, but they have places for MSc in Audiological Sciences. I had an interview last week and they were asking me if I have applied to the Clinical Scientist Scheme, and explained if I don't get it then I can still do the MSc (obviously self funded) and then a training year after that but that's self funded too, and then qualify as an audiologist.

I visited one of the clinics and the clinical scientist showing me around said that UCL isn't as good as the others though, so a bit confused about it.

Ah right, that clarifies that. I'm only really looking to do the MSc if it's part of the clinical science scheme I think. I was beginning to think it was a conspiracy... this whole process has definitely made me a bit odd. :nutcase: I'd like it to be over now so I can move on to something else if need be!
Sambo1980
fishdrivingcars (intresting name btw)....

...They are only a hand full of people applying for audiology this year so (I hope not) all on here might not be invited to anything! nightmare...

...I dont want to be a position where im just waiting to see if I get onto the SHA funded place!
as I understand it UCL are not accredited yet plus I have wife and child so self funding is no way an option for me! booo

The username is taken from a Bill Hicks sketch - i used it ages ago as a log-in for something or other and ended up using it for everything...

That would be pretty grim if no one got an interview on here.

Yeah the self-funding or even SHA funding would not really be an option for me - from what I've heard it would no way be enough to cover the year studying which means extra loans, which is not really viable for me at present. So it's all or nothing!

I got an email back from Sheffield when I asked for confirmation that they'd got my application saying that I should hear shortly - that was on Tuesday. Not really sure what that means to be honest, hard not to over analyse it though!
Reply 784
Sambo1980
I have applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Cambridge and Reading. Looks like most people have as I spoke to a guy at the uni interview and he has applied to the same posts so has fishdrivingcars (intresting name btw). I had the north wales one on my short list till the last min and changed my mind.

Where did you apply?

They are only a hand full of people on here applying for audiology this year so (I hope not) all on here might not be invited to anything! nightmare

I dont want to be a position where im just waiting to see if I get onto the SHA funded place!

Yes I agree self funding is a no go. I'll try again next year if I don't get anything.

I applied to Windsor, Brighton, Reading and Cambridge. I bet a big factor as to why everyone applies to Reading is the number of places haha

Fingers crossed for everyone
CicIt
I bet a big factor as to why everyone applies to Reading is the number of places haha

Yes, I wonder if the fact everyone chooses it because of the number of places means it ends being more competitive anyway!
Nichola_Jayne
Did they set you a topic for the presentation? :o:

So I have read a few messages about invitations for interviews for MedPhys and now I am super nervous; the burning question is how did they sent the invitations? By email or by post? If by post, then I fear that I may not receive the letters because of the dismally, poor postal system! Please let me know and put me out of my misery!
Jobobaggins,

I've been lucky enough to be shortlisted for Sheffield and Leeds for MedPhys. Sheffield I got a call, a letter and an email (they are apparently very thorough) but Leeds I only got a letter if that helps? I think it mostly tends to be letters.

Haven't heard anything from my other two choices though, but I don't know if they have shortlisted yet. I think it's mostly the not knowing that drives me insane.
thanks Knick_Knack!

When did you get the Leeds letter and when is your interview? I applied to Leeds too so now I'm worried!:eek:

Cheers!
When are interviews for Leeds?
Got the letter this week, and my interview next friday. Hoping that it will go well since it's my first choice between the two, but i've never had a serious interview before.
thanks knick_knack!
I'll double check my post. I hope there's still time. Sorry for the hundred questions: did they want a confirmation from you that you will attend the interviews? Cheers
Knick_knack! I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck!
It's no trouble :smile: Yes, I have to email them confirmation (Thank you for asking that! it made me check my letter, and I hadn't noticed that part so i'm going to do that now).

Good luck with the rest of you applications as well!
Reply 794
Interview invite letter from Manchester H+I was waiting when I got home :woo: Soooooooooooooo pleased to have at least one interview - fingers crossed more will come but one is better than none :biggrin:
Reply 795
Good luck to the people who have interviews so far :smile:

Did anyone apply for any of the Embryologist posts? I've been following this thread for a long time now and have never read of anyone who has applied or even thinking of applying!
Stephy89
Good luck to the people who have interviews so far :smile:

Did anyone apply for any of the Embryologist posts? I've been following this thread for a long time now and have never read of anyone who has applied or even thinking of applying!

A couple of my friends applied for Embryologist posts. I don't think they've heard anything yet.
Reply 797
Nichola_Jayne
Did they set you a topic for the presentation?

Yeah, it was in the confirmation email they sent out. Talking to a few other trainees though, it seems that it is a similar topic to two years ago, and easier than last years :smile:

jojobaggins
So I have read a few messages about invitations for interviews for MedPhys and now I am super nervous; the burning question is how did they sent the invitations? By email or by post? If by post, then I fear that I may not receive the letters because of the dismally, poor postal system! Please let me know and put me out of my misery!

Both my current invitations were left as voicemails, followed up with emails to confirm my attendance and give directions/presentation topics etc. But that has only been 2/4 applications at the moment, so I don't know what the other centres will do, or even if I have been shortlisted :frown:

AnnEE21
Hey I got the Stoke (well, actually it is Newcastle) interview for Med Phys next Friday too! I got a late morning interview. I think I should re-read the letter, as I didn't realise the presentation had to be in powerpoint, although that would have been my choice!
Congratulations, my interview is the first on the Friday (9.30am), so I might see you in passing on my way out :smile: I had to enquire about the powerpoint, as I don't remember seeing it in the letter, but they confirmed it for me. May I suggest (without decreasing my own chances, there are 16 interviews for 8 places, or so I have been informed :biggrin: ) that if you haven't already visited, it could be worth a lot to pay them a visit beforehand. I went today and had an informal look around, and I think it will help my application. (and yeah yeah, Newcastle is Stoke, or as good as :P)

In case anyone is wondering about the Oxford group for MedPhys, I believe that they are all sorted now, as I had an interview yesterday and was offered first choice for Northampton. Ideally, I am holding out for Stoke or Brum though (hometown and current town respectively) at the moment, but I wont be rejecting Northampton yet :smile:
vivski
Interview invite letter from Manchester H+I was waiting when I got home :woo: Soooooooooooooo pleased to have at least one interview - fingers crossed more will come but one is better than none :biggrin:

Looks like we're direct rivals then :biggrin:

What time's your interview? Mine's at 2.
Reply 799
GraduateSK
Hey - have you applied to birmingham? I called and they said after easter they should be letting everyone know about interviews.

Thats fab thank you so much for letting me know. Everytime I get home I have my fingers crossed going for the post lol. Where else have you applied?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending