Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also thorondor - were you at the Cardiff open day? You know they're doing this thing where they're not following the MSC scheme, but actually taking on a cytogeneticist trainee the way they have done for the previous years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Just been reading through old posts (dont ask) have you contacted all the hospitals you applied for? as you said people have got interviews for Manchester last week

What is your degree in? I have a degree and masters in Medical engineering I have a 2-2 in my degree thats why hope is fading fast for me as I have heard that they chuck anything below a 2-1 out before even looking at the actuall application! I was just hoping my masters counted for something! dosent look like it.
    My degree's in Psychology (2.1), and i have an HND in Music Production, which is bit left field i guess but did cover a fair bit of theory (acoustics, digital sampling, that kind of thing).

I emailed all of the centres and got a reply from all of them apart from Manchester. The reply from Sheffield said something like "received, and you should hear re an interview soon" which i read to mean that I would be offered an interview.... but I've not heard anything and think I may have read too much into what was doubtlessly a hastily written response...

You'd think a Masters would more than compensate for a 2.2 in your degree. It's tough though isn't it, there's so many applicants by all accounts that they can probably afford to reject even really strong applications. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Andais)
    Thanks drywater and goodluck with the interview! Out of interest what experience/qualifications did u put on your application? I'm already working as a band 6 nhs scientist in cheshire for 4 years so god knows what they are looking for!! Plus I have 6 lab visits lol! Although I don't have a higher degree.. Think all last years successful applicants had PhDs
    Hi Queen Andais,

I think that a PhD does not grant you an interview. I have a PhD, five years of industrial experience in analytical chemistry and still Manchester hasn't contacted me for an interview (and the odds are that they won't do it in the future)...I think that every place have a diferent way of assesing prospect candidates and they will chose whatever fits better to the schem they have in place...and remember that part of the evolution in the post assumes that you may do a PhD...Some places may want somebody young, moldable, so the training and development are placed in a receptive individual...some others may be looking for expertise with a solid ground in analytical and interpretational maturity...it is a lottery, as everything else in life.

Keep it up!:rolleyes:

S.

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    No i couldn't make the Cardiff open day. Didn't know they were not doing the MSC scheme but guess that doesn't really matter, just want to get in somewhere. Not all the labs seen to quite know how the scheme is going to work too. I'm doing a Msc this year in leeds and some of it was taught by cytogeneticists, i asked them about the new scheme but they didn't have much of an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    My degree's in Psychology (2.1), and i have an HND in Music Production, which is bit left field i guess but did cover a fair bit of theory (acoustics, digital sampling, that kind of thing).

I emailed all of the centres and got a reply from all of them apart from Manchester. The reply from Sheffield said something like "received, and you should hear re an interview soon" which i read to mean that I would be offered an interview.... but I've not heard anything and think I may have read too much into what was doubtlessly a hastily written response...

You'd think a Masters would more than compensate for a 2.2 in your degree. It's tough though isn't it, there's so many applicants by all accounts that they can probably afford to reject even really strong applications. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you anyway.
    Ah thanks mate! best of luck to you too!
    I met a guy at the manchester uni interview who did music science and applied to the same hospitals as you and me! you werent interviewd twice were you at manchester uni?

When you emailing them again to ask whats going on? Im not as I cant bare to be rejected over the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephy89)
    Hey! sorry i missed your post

yeah I got the same email.

I applied for the positions at Salisbury, Bath, Sheffield and Manchester...not that we had much other choice! How about you?
    Trainee posts are soo rare, there was a post that came up on the NHS website around January at Kings which I applied for. It is mental how very few opportunities are out there

Did you go to any hospital visits?
    Hi, I applied for Sheffield, Manchester, Bath and Cardiff. I know! I recently applied for one with CARE for manchester and Nottingham but that was only a couple of weeks ago and havent heard anything back yet.

I'd already been to the sheffield ACU becuase I live there and the only other one that is close is Manchester but I think it said only shortlisted people. I've spent another day at a private clinic in cambridge as well though. Did you go to any?

What are your plans if you dont get any?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks mate! best of luck to you too!
    I met a guy at the manchester uni interview who did music science and applied to the same hospitals as you and me! you werent interviewd twice were you at manchester uni?

When you emailing them again to ask whats going on? Im not as I cant bare to be rejected over the phone!
    No definitely just the once... I think?

I'm not sure about checking again really - I'm hoping I'll glean enough info from here to work it out one way or the other! But as you said, there's not that many audiologist applicants on here. Maybe by friday this week?

ReputationRep:
    No definitely just the once... I think?

I'm not sure about checking again really - I'm hoping I'll glean enough info from here to work it out one way or the other! But as you said, there's not that many audiologist applicants on here. Maybe by friday this week?

Ha! well did you hear from manchester uni then? you got a conditional offer like me?

I would give it more than Friday mate! Give at least till Friday next week as last year I got an interview a week before the 22nd of april! Although I came second in that interview I was told and the reason was that I didnt have a confirmed place on the MSc! I was gutted! the margins are very tight for this, but last year I applied with 2 hours to the deadline not knowing I had to also apply for the MSc

ReputationRep:
    Ha! well did you hear from manchester uni then? you got a conditional offer like me?

I would give it more than Friday mate! Give at least till Friday next week as last year I got an interview a week before the 22nd of april! Although I came second in that interview I was told and the reason was that I didnt have a confirmed place on the MSc! I was gutted! the margins are very tight for this, but last year I applied with 2 hours to the deadline not knowing I had to also apply for the MSc
    Yes got a letter from Manchester Uni this week with a conditional offer. The interviewer said that she would recommend me for the SHA funded place waiting list, which I guess they use if people drop out after being made an offer. Shalln't be taking it up if they do offer one of those places though - taking more loans to support myself is just not viable really!

Leave it a couple more weeks you think? Shall definitely need something to distract myself with then - think I'll make some alternative plans and convince myself that I don't really want this job anyway!

One thing though, the person leading the open day in Sheffield definitely said that they try to get their invitations out early, to cherry-pick applicants... Either they've already done so or they got swamped with the admin side of going through the forms?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Bristol Biochem or Notts/Derby Biochem?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have been reading all the posts, ....do we have to apply for the Msc course as well??? I have applied for the biochem training posts. Just got a mail on 29th march from northgate confirming my application has been sent, so i am still waiting...

@ Nichola_Jayne - Did you get any reply from Derby? I have applied there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea123)
    Hi everyone, I have been reading all the posts, ....do we have to apply for the Msc course as well??? I have applied for the biochem training posts. Just got a mail on 29th march from northgate confirming my application has been sent, so i am still waiting...

@ Nichola_Jayne - Did you get any reply from Derby? I have applied there as well.

I've not heard anything at all Sea123. I was also confused to whether we had to apply for a Msc course as well. I've only applied to the Northgate centre and had the same email reply as you.

Where else did you apply for??

ReputationRep:
    Just this moment received an email back from Manchester NHS confirming that I have not been selected for an interview for audiology. I kind of knew this anyway. One down three to go...

ReputationRep:
    Just this moment received an email back from Manchester NHS confirming that I have not been selected for an interview for audiology. I kind of knew this anyway. One down three to go...

NOOO! hard luck mate! Manchester is the hardest one to get anyway.
    Did you email them for them to say that or did they email you without you asking?
    Best of luck with the other 3! I guess im looking at 3 also

ReputationRep:
    They emailed me - I guess in response to my request for receipt of application a little while ago. I spoke to someone at the Manchester Uni interview who did this application process last year too. She said the same as you, that Manc NHS was the hardest and that they were quite specifically looking for clear academic achievements, rather than an aptitude for the clininical aspect of the work, if you get what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    They emailed me - I guess in response to my request for receipt of application a little while ago. I spoke to someone at the Manchester Uni interview who did this application process last year too. She said the same as you, that Manc NHS was the hardest and that they were quite specifically looking for clear academic achievements, rather than an aptitude for the clininical aspect of the work, if you get what i mean.
    Fingers crossed for the other 3 then fishdrivingcars, I was told by one of the trainees during lab visits, not to apply to manchester because they are very strict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    I've not heard anything at all Sea123. I was also confused to whether we had to apply for a Msc course as well. I've only applied to the Northgate centre and had the same email reply as you.

Where else did you apply for??
    I've applied for Nott/Derby same as you and despite everyone discouraging me due to large number of applications, I've applied to London. I've applied to south central and south west (Bristol etc) as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea123)
    I've applied for Nott/Derby same as you and despite everyone discouraging me due to large number of applications, I've applied to London. I've applied to south central and south west (Bristol etc) as well.

It sounds like you've applied to the same places as me. I think that interviews have already been offered to people who made the shortlist for South Central, as a couple of people on here mentioned the dates of the interviews.

I'm holding out for the Notts/Derby one now.

If you don't mind me asking, what previous experience have you got?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got previous experience in clinical sector, I have a Masters in Biochemical Engineering. I was told by the Northgate that I was still eligible. No worries about experience because the trainee to whom I talked was a fresh graduate with a Bsc in Biochem with no previous experience and he still got the job despite other candidates having a phd who applied as well.

How about u?
    Did u visit Derby?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year Biomedical Science degree, and I've had a year working in a laboratory with the MOD.

I didn't get a chance to go on any hospital visits before sending off my application form. I was hoping to hear about an interview and then arrange a visit before the interview date.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.