Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Andais)
    Thanks drywater and goodluck with the interview! Out of interest what experience/qualifications did u put on your application? I'm already working as a band 6 nhs scientist in cheshire for 4 years so god knows what they are looking for!! Plus I have 6 lab visits lol! Although I don't have a higher degree.. Think all last years successful applicants had PhDs
    Regarding my experience/qualifications, my undergrad is in Biochemistry, a PhD in enzymology and 3 years industry experience. By the sounds of it you seem to have much better "inside" knowlegde of the workings of the nhs and do not see why you would not be considered for this role. I would think that you would be the ideal candidate.

It is true that most people do have PhD's but i do know of cases of people who have got in w/o PhD's but I think those days are now gone as there is soo much competition for these positions, PhD's even though not stipulated are most likely a must. Regarding lab visits i have only done 1 and that was 2 years ago. I think what increased my chances was due to the fact that I have working links at quite a few hospitals in manchester.

Best of luck to you and never give up hope.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I'm here been watching the thread for sometime and applied for Audiology! at Windsor, Bham, Sheffield.. anyone heard from them?

Manchester had over 80 applicants and they have shortlisted only 8, I was told today, I had emailed them for confirmation that they had my application. Oh well. 3 left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darel_)
    Hi,

I've been following this thread for the past few weeks and I think you are the first person I've come across that has also applied the microbiology posts! I also keep checking my emails/post/phone and I'm so disappointed when there's nothing there:confused: ! Sounds like you have some good experience under your belt. Surely we should hear something soon?! If you come across any more up-to-date info could I ask that you please post it on here??? Sounds like other subjects and centres have informed their successful candidates and I'd hate to still be checking my email 3 weeks from now just on the 'off chance'!:eek3: :woo:

Darel
    hi yeah, i think theres 3 of us now... I agree about just checking emails on the off chance. I applied to a training post in scotland too which wasn't via Northgate, and was told a week or so ago that they'd just finished shortlisting and would be sending out invites to interview in the next few weeks. Since its already been a little while since then I keep checking my emails but still nothing. I have a feeling i may not have been successful for that one but I still feel my heart skip a beat when i see i have something in my junk mail folder :rolleyes:
    Hopefully people will post on here if they hear anything cos, as you said, i'd hate to be checking my emails and then find invites had been sent out weeks ago lol.
    I think we could be waiting a couple more weeks yet but I'll post if i hear anything, or the replies (if any) from centres if I email them first.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicxciv121)
    Hi, I applied for Sheffield, Manchester, Bath and Cardiff. I know! I recently applied for one with CARE for manchester and Nottingham but that was only a couple of weeks ago and havent heard anything back yet.

I'd already been to the sheffield ACU becuase I live there and the only other one that is close is Manchester but I think it said only shortlisted people. I've spent another day at a private clinic in cambridge as well though. Did you go to any?

What are your plans if you dont get any?
    Ah kool, I only went to the Salisbury open day...I'm not sure what to do really, I need more lab experience. Maybe do an Masters which I don't really want to do have to do as it's not entirely necessary. I'm hoping to maybe get a lab based job which is relevant but it's tough seeking advice on what opportunities are out there :confused:

If you don't mind me asking what experience do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Any news today people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyallen03)
    hi yeah, i think theres 3 of us now... I agree about just checking emails on the off chance. I applied to a training post in scotland too which wasn't via Northgate, and was told a week or so ago that they'd just finished shortlisting and would be sending out invites to interview in the next few weeks. Since its already been a little while since then I keep checking my emails but still nothing. I have a feeling i may not have been successful for that one but I still feel my heart skip a beat when i see i have something in my junk mail folder :rolleyes:
    Hopefully people will post on here if they hear anything cos, as you said, i'd hate to be checking my emails and then find invites had been sent out weeks ago lol.
    I think we could be waiting a couple more weeks yet but I'll post if i hear anything, or the replies (if any) from centres if I email them first.

good luck!
    Yeah, I applied to the two in Scotland aswel. I've visited a few of the labs up here (I'm in Edinburgh) & met David Yirrell who will be supervising the Dundee post. He was really friendly. Really not enjoying this waiting game...fingers and toes crossed for both of us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Any news today people?
    Yes! Got a Med Phys Job!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnEE21)

Congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard about biochem interviews in Wales or London yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnEE21)
    Congrats

May I be as so bold as to ask where? And are you the person with the Stoke interview tomorrow as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephy89)
    Ah kool, I only went to the Salisbury open day...I'm not sure what to do really, I need more lab experience. Maybe do an Masters which I don't really want to do have to do as it's not entirely necessary. I'm hoping to maybe get a lab based job which is relevant but it's tough seeking advice on what opportunities are out there :confused:

If you don't mind me asking what experience do you have?
    So did sailsbury have an open day where lots of people went or did you arrange it? I didn't hear about anything like that?

Apart from the couple of days in ivf labs i havent really got a lot of experience. I'm in the final year of my degree so its difficult. Is that what you are doing at the moment? I've got a little job, a couple of hours a week in one of the reasearch labs in my department sorting zebrafish embryos which is kind of revelvant and you have to look at them and see what stage they are at and stuff. But it's annoying becuase when I applied for this in november I had only just started the job and I wasn't doing the developmental stage bit then, so I didnt write about it! So not very useful really unless I get an interview.

Is that the masters at nottigham you are thinking about? I have a place on that but Its so much money and they want you to pay £1000 non-refundable deposit just to secure your place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicxciv121)
    So did sailsbury have an open day where lots of people went or did you arrange it? I didn't hear about anything like that?

Apart from the couple of days in ivf labs i havent really got a lot of experience. I'm in the final year of my degree so its difficult. Is that what you are doing at the moment? I've got a little job, a couple of hours a week in one of the reasearch labs in my department sorting zebrafish embryos which is kind of revelvant and you have to look at them and see what stage they are at and stuff. But it's annoying becuase when I applied for this in november I had only just started the job and I wasn't doing the developmental stage bit then, so I didnt write about it! So not very useful really unless I get an interview.

Is that the masters at nottigham you are thinking about? I have a place on that but Its so much money and they want you to pay £1000 non-refundable deposit just to secure your place!
    Yeah there was a group of us interested in the job. I just sent the hospital an email asking to visit as I was applying for the post.

Yep I'm in my final year too studing Human Biology. Kool sounds pretty good...definitely gives you something positive to talk about in an interview! So this job is with a department in your uni? How did you come by it? I don't have anything like that at my uni

woah thats alot of money! Is it the assisted reproduction tech course? I was thinking maybe UCL or Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Oh thats cool. I wish I'd done something like that now. Annoying.
    Yeah one of the modules I took was working with zebrasfish and the lecturer who was running it needed some help in his lab and he asked us to apply if we were intrested and i got the job. Where do you go to uni? What sort of experience do you have?

What is the masters at UCL? I haven't seen that one? And Don't you have to be emplyed at a clinic to do the leeds one? or is it a different one from the clinical embryology masters?

ReputationRep:
    I got to Kingston uni in London, how about you?
    I havn't got much experience I have been to some hospital ACU's and did a months work experience in the pathology department of a hospital which isn't really relevant I surpose.
    Really? I didn't know that about Leeds, it doesnt say on the website but then there isn't much info on the course tbh. The UCL course is reproductive science and womens health which sounds interesting

ReputationRep:
    I got an invitation for an interview at Sheffield today, for Audiology. Bit shocked to be honest, obviously hoped i'd get one but didn't really expect to.

Got to keep my feet on the floor now and remember that the interview is only another step along!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishdrivingcars)
    I got an invitation for an interview at Sheffield today, for Audiology. Bit shocked to be honest, obviously hoped i'd get one but didn't really expect to.

Got to keep my feet on the floor now and remember that the interview is only another step along!
    Did the invite come via the mail, phone or email??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    Did the invite come via the mail, phone or email??
    Hi Nichola_Jayne, it came via post. Originally I'd expected an email and had been wearing out the F5 key on my keyboard, but quite a few on here seem to have been contacted by post and this was also the case for me.

Quite glad to see there is no mention of anything horrendous like presentations on the letter!

Does anyone know how long the interviews typically are?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Nichola_Jayne, it came via post. Originally I'd expected an email and had been wearing out the F5 key on my keyboard, but quite a few on here seem to have been contacted by post and this was also the case for me.

Quite glad to see there is no mention of anything horrendous like presentations on the letter!

Does anyone know how long the interviews typically are?

Congrats mate! thats 2 down now for me it looks like!

Interviews wont last more than half an hour if memory serves me right from swansea last year
    When is the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Congrats mate! thats 2 down now for me it looks like!

Interviews wont last more than half an hour if memory serves me right from swansea last year
    When is the interview?
    Cheers Sambo, take it you've not heard from them? Sorry to hear that - like you say, still two more to wait on.

It's on the 19th, which by a stroke of luck I had already booked off work to move house. Not sure how I will move house now mind, but I'll sort that out later!

Half an hour, I guess that's fairly short really.

Having already checked for experience and academic achievement from the application form, I'm imagining the interview will be a fairly informal chat, with the questions mostly aimed at finding out how well i've researched the career, and why I want it, and general to get a feel for whether i'd fit in in the department?

How far wide of the mark is this?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Sambo, take it you've not heard from them? Sorry to hear that - like you say, still two more to wait on.

It's on the 19th, which by a stroke of luck I had already booked off work to move house. Not sure how I will move house now mind, but I'll sort that out later!

Half an hour, I guess that's fairly short really.

Having already checked for experience and academic achievement from the application form, I'm imagining the interview will be a fairly informal chat, with the questions mostly aimed at finding out how well i've researched the career, and why I want it, and general to get a feel for whether i'd fit in in the department?

How far wide of the mark is this?! :confused:
    Make sure you know your stuff! and be yourself! the usuall! you have gone along way to get there so be confident

Im not sure what format they will do as I thought a presentation was standard at these things! it might be the same format as the manchester uni interview so your not that far off. didnt they say anything in the letter?

PS How long did all the hospitals take to get back to you when you asked to confirm that they got your application?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.