Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Reading confirmed almost straight away, followed by Cambridge a few days later I think. Sheffield were about a week after I emailed, and Manchester only contacted me earlier this week to confirm that I hadn't been invited to an interview.

There's nothing in the letter about a presentation - it would be beyond cruel to spring it on me on the day! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to ask people who are already on the clinical scientist scheme (any discipline) - NoAngel seems quite knowledgeable - what is the maternity leave policy whilst the training? Do you know if you can have maternity leave and can we just come back and finish where we left off?
    Its just that I am married and by the end of the 3 years (if I get the job) I will be hitting 30 and it the meantime I would like to have a few children but do not know if this is allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just joined the forum to find out more about the application process/interview process. I have applied for Clinical Genetics and Clinical Biochemist, in South east, London, and up north. I got an email about my applications got sent out to the various places I applied for but that's about it. I'm getting worried that that's as far as I have got. I have a degree in Biochemistry and am currently working as an MLA in a chemistry lab so hopefully that will go some way to helping me.

ReputationRep:
    Well thats me out of the race for an interview this year! I missed my chance last year when I had interviews! although my application this year was 100 times better! very odd

Just going to wait o see if im allowed to be on the SHA funding at manchester uni! I hope you were right Noangel that the odds are good for that!

Good luck to everyone whos got an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any info on clin biochem at Leeds Sheffield and west mids? I have emailed the centres but not got a reply...... :-(
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Andais)
    Has anyone got any info on clin biochem at Leeds Sheffield and west mids? I have emailed the centres but not got a reply...... :-(
    thanks
    I went for a visit at Sheffield a few weeks ago, apparently the the interviews are on April 26, and if we're successful we'll get a call about a week before. Not heard from Leeds, only got a brief email from them a while back saying the interviews are at the end of this month. If we haven't heard by the end of the week, then it's time to start worrying.

Congrats to everyone who's got interviews so far!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview in Leeds for clin biochem on the 27th April. I presume that all the invites would have gone out by now. Haven't heard anything from Sheffield though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back about any genetics applications yet? This is dragging on for ages!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Bristol or Notts/Derby Biochem??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c97hc1)
    Anyone heard back about any genetics applications yet? This is dragging on for ages!
    Not a thing!! Dont think anyone else who applied for genetics has heard anything back either Where did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaxyDan)
    I went for a visit at Sheffield a few weeks ago, apparently the the interviews are on April 26, and if we're successful we'll get a call about a week before. Not heard from Leeds, only got a brief email from them a while back saying the interviews are at the end of this month. If we haven't heard by the end of the week, then it's time to start worrying.

Congrats to everyone who's got interviews so far!
    That's really selfish if we only get a weeks notice for interviews.

How are you meant to get train tickets at a weeks notice, and what if someone has an exam??

Not that I'm going to get an interview anyway, but still, a bit rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    I just wanted to ask people who are already on the clinical scientist scheme (any discipline) - NoAngel seems quite knowledgeable - what is the maternity leave policy whilst the training? Do you know if you can have maternity leave and can we just come back and finish where we left off?
    Its just that I am married and by the end of the 3 years (if I get the job) I will be hitting 30 and it the meantime I would like to have a few children but do not know if this is allowed.
    This is something I'm not exactly sure about and I've been wondering myself.. i'd also quite like children before my three years are up.

I have signed a contact which states my finish date, so I don't think if I took maternity leave that i would be allowed to extend my placement if you see what I mean. However, I think it would just be like any job in that you can take whatever leave you would need. I reckon that if you didn't manage to complete the training before your contact was finished then you would have to make sure the next job you applied for were willing to help you finish off, that's all.

it's not something I'd like to ask to be totally sure though! Sorry I can't help more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    Well thats me out of the race for an interview this year! I missed my chance last year when I had interviews! although my application this year was 100 times better! very odd

Just going to wait o see if im allowed to be on the SHA funding at manchester uni! I hope you were right Noangel that the odds are good for that!

Good luck to everyone whos got an interview!
    Aww that's such a shame. Sorry to hear you haven't been successful.

I'm pretty sure the odds are good. My suggestion would be to contact the Uni when you're sure you don't have any interviews and let them know, and also express your interest in the SHA route. You might be near the top of the waiting list.

Good luck :-) xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahfal86)
    Not a thing!! Dont think anyone else who applied for genetics has heard anything back either Where did you apply for?
    I've applied for genetics too and not heard a thing grrrr gonna give it till the end of next week them email/call them to ask, will let you know if I hear anything. I applied to Birmingham, Nottingham and London.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Sorry, I press the wrong bottom. I wrote to SC and Manchester and they confirmed that I haven't been shorlisted, I asked for feedback and they gave me a generic 'competition was fierce'. I guess they are not obliged to give full feedback at this stage but I will try to get some extra info from them.

In the other side, I got better news from Leeds. I received an e-mail last week and I have been invited for an interview the last week of April. They got in touch with me enterely by e-mail.

Did anybody hear from London?

Good luck everybody. Incluiding myself.

S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahfal86)
    I applied to London, Bristol and Salisbury. 4th application was to Harrow, who then closed the vacancy anyway! So I'm already down to 3

I would email to ask what's going on, but I don't have any of the contact details now the website's closed, and I don't really want to annoy them. I guess they'll get round to it in their own time. God the waiting's annoying though!

Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to London, Bristol and Salisbury. 4th application was to Harrow, who then closed the vacancy anyway! I would email to ask what's going on, but I don't have any of the contact details now the website's closed, and I don't really want to annoy them. I guess they'll get round to it in their own time. God the waiting's annoying though!

Where did you apply?
    Did you get the original automated email from northgate? It should have had an attachment for the clinical scientist handbook. The contact details for each centre & discipline should be in there if you change your mind and want to contact them .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    Anyone heard from Bristol or Notts/Derby Biochem??
    Not yet

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.