Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    That's really selfish if we only get a weeks notice for interviews.

How are you meant to get train tickets at a weeks notice, and what if someone has an exam??

Not that I'm going to get an interview anyway, but still, a bit rude.
    I totally agree. Though I feel a bit sorry for them, it seems they've been really messed around by Northgate. They decided the interview date months ago and only got our applications like last week or something!

I don't think I'll get an interview either, which is a shame because I thought I stood a decent chance before I saw this forum! Good luck, please do let me know if you hear anything.

Congratulations cutebutpsycho - you've done amazingly well to get the interview. I'm jealous, but still happy for you!

ReputationRep:
    How has everyones interviews gone so far? ?

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone!
    has anyone heard back from histocompatibility and immunogenetics posts in London?? Soooooooooooooooo worried I havent made it!!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applenia)
    hello everyone!
    has anyone heard back from histocompatibility and immunogenetics posts in London?? Soooooooooooooooo worried I havent made it!!!
    x
    Not yet. I think I'm the only other person in this thread to have applied for H&I in London (Colindale & Royal London Hospital), so it's difficult to judge whether shortlists have been notified yet.

It is a little worrying they haven't got back, but it seems the same for plenty of other fields, so they may just be taking their time. When I visited Colindale they said they like to get interviews out of the way before the uni exam season, so I guess the latest interviews will be is early/mid May. At least wait until the end of the month before you start panicking.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Ive been doing a lot of research on Clinical Science.
    I want to do a degree in Biochemistry. Id like to know if you guys did any sort of work experience, for any relevant degree (immunology, genetics, microbiology etc) which may give you an advantage?
    Good luck to all who've applied btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plt_KVP)
    Hey,
    Ive been doing a lot of research on Clinical Science.
    I want to do a degree in Biochemistry. Id like to know if you guys did any sort of work experience, for any relevant degree (immunology, genetics, microbiology etc) which may give you an advantage?
    Good luck to all who've applied btw!
    Any experience is good experience. At 16 there shouldn't be much you need to worry about at the moment. Just keep your ear to the ground and look out for experience wherever you can. As far as short term goals before uni, looking into a CREST award and other experience schemes could be useful. Bear in mind there won't be much technical experience you can pick up before university since you won't be trained in lab skills, so don't worry about the relevance too much, it's more about showing initiative and eagerness. You won't be expected to have extracurricular experience to get onto a BSc course, it's nothing but a sweetener to stand out a bit really, but sometimes all you need is that little extra thing to stand out from the crowd and make it to the next stage so it's still worth it.

I did a CREST award in sixth form and was asked about it for a CS interview 2 years ago, so any experience you pick up now can come in handy for standing out in graduate jobs. Looking back, the experience for the CREST award was pretty cringe-worthy faux-science, but if interviewers want to waste a few minutes talking about it then that's a few minutes less time for difficult questions.

For more relevant lab experience, wait til you're in uni and then seek out lab work experience in the summer holidays (especially if you're not doing a year in the industry). Again, precise relevance is not absolutely essential, do whatever you think will benefit you most. Any experience will help increase your competitiveness, but it's obviously swings and roundabouts with everyone getting things through slightly different academic paths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebutpsycho)
    I have an interview in Leeds for clin biochem on the 27th April. I presume that all the invites would have gone out by now. Haven't heard anything from Sheffield though.
    Congratulations on your invite at Leeds. I just wanted to know if they contacted you via phone or email. I also applied to Leeds and Sheffield and got an interview at Sheff on 26th April but nothing from Leeds . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I never knew TSR had a thread on this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drywater12345)
    Congratulations on your invite at Leeds. I just wanted to know if they contacted you via phone or email. I also applied to Leeds and Sheffield and got an interview at Sheff on 26th April but nothing from Leeds . Thanks
    So the Sheffield interviews have been announced? That's me officially out of the race. Absolutely gutted! Good luck to everyone who got interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still holding out hope for a possible interview for Notts/Derby Biochem. Anyone heard anything? Anyone heard anything from Bristol Biochem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichola_Jayne)
    I'm still holding out hope for a possible interview for Notts/Derby Biochem. Anyone heard anything? Anyone heard anything from Bristol Biochem?
    Sorry, Bristol Biochem interviews were last Wednesday

Anyone head anything for London Biochem?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh well. Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds contacted me by email last week. Also I think London's invites have all gone out. I got a phonecall on Thursday and the interviews were being held yesterday and also next Monday. Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    the Derby/notts biochem interviews were on 15th.
    they were supposed to contact any successful applicants ytd.
    did anyone heard anything from them??
    good luck guys=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyK)
    the Derby/notts biochem interviews were on 15th.
    they were supposed to contact any successful applicants ytd.
    did anyone heard anything from them??
    good luck guys=)

Oh well that's me out of the race this year then. Back to job hunting!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from the embryology route? got an email a couple of weeks ago saying my applications were sent to the hospitals but haven't heard anything since. I'm trying to convince myself that they're just being slow, but i mostly think i wont hear anything now. wondered if anyone else is in the same situation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashford)
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from the embryology route? got an email a couple of weeks ago saying my applications were sent to the hospitals but haven't heard anything since. I'm trying to convince myself that they're just being slow, but i mostly think i wont hear anything now. wondered if anyone else is in the same situation!

Hi,
    Yep im in the same situation...not heard a thing! I dunno whether it's worth sending emails to the hospitals or leaving it abit longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephy89)
    Hi,
    Yep im in the same situation...not heard a thing! I dunno whether it's worth sending emails to the hospitals or leaving it abit longer.
    Cool so we're both still in with a chance then! If I havent heard by the end of this week I'll probably send some emails, I just feel a bit pushy and don't know if it will reflect badly.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything from the micro posts yet?

Fingers crossed for everyone.

Update: I emailed the centres just in case and London hasn't started shortlisting yet, which is good news.
    Haven't heard from Manchester yet but I wasn't shortlisted for the Leeds posts .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashford)
    Cool so we're both still in with a chance then! If I havent heard by the end of this week I'll probably send some emails, I just feel a bit pushy and don't know if it will reflect badly.
    Hey Tashford

I've applyed for embryology as well and still haven't heard anything and another girl from my course who has worked in an ivf clinic before hasnt heard anything either.

I emailed a hospital ages and ages ago asking if they had received my application and they said that they hadnt had any yet but when they did it would take at least a couple of weeks to short list so hopefully we should be hearing something soon!!!

which places did u apply to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.