Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Thanks for the advice I'm in my 3rd year of Human Biology, and my plans following graduation are a bit sketchy atm, I'm just trying to assess what options I'll have! Haematology sounds interesting, I didn't realise how hard it would be to become one though. My initial idea was to do further postgraduate study (within bioscience but not strictly sure of the area). I guess I'll have to wait for their website to be relaunched :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disenchanted)
    Thanks for the advice I'm in my 3rd year of Human Biology, and my plans following graduation are a bit sketchy atm, I'm just trying to assess what options I'll have! Haematology sounds interesting, I didn't realise how hard it would be to become one though. My initial idea was to do further postgraduate study (within bioscience but not strictly sure of the area). I guess I'll have to wait for their website to be relaunched :yes:
    Even if you do plan on going into postgrad study, apply anyway. You have nothing to lose, and going through the process once means you have a major advantage over fresh applicants next time (as you say, the NHS give next to no info about it). Personally, I failed the first time I applied, but my second application was much much stronger after learning from the first time.

ReputationRep:
    I am in my final year at Manchester studying Developmental Biology and I'm very interested in training to become a Clinical Embryologist. I was just wondering if anyone else is considering this or if anyone has previously applied for the nhs clinical embryologist training posts?

How important is it to have an MSc? It says that you can apply with just an undergrad degree although it is competitive and an MSc/PhD helps.

Any info would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when they are likely to reopen the Clinical science programme to applications? I think they're revampin the course and am slightly concerned that the spending review may keep it suspended for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jezz_B)
    Does anyone know when they are likely to reopen the Clinical science programme to applications? I think they're revampin the course and am slightly concerned that the spending review may keep it suspended for a long time.

That's my concern too..... Hopefully the site will be up and running soon!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any information about the 2011 intake?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Everyone seems fairly concerned about the NHS website and its lack of information about the training programme next year (i am also trying to stay patient and calm). I was panicking quite a lot and went to see my careers advisor at Uni, she managed to phone someone in the NHS careers department, and found out a little information but not a huge amount, turns out the company who ran the website for the last few years is not going to run it this year, the woman on the phone hinted at, without giving to much information away, there may be a localisation of the programme, so may have to start looking at local NHS trusts. Basically just got told to keep looking on both the careers site and the NHS job site! They appeared to be waiting for this large budget to come out before they said anything, that has been and gone and we're still waiting! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Northgate isn't being used any more (which is actually a blessing as they were pretty terrible the last few years). Recruitment should be pretty much as usual though:

"Following the decision by the Department of Health to terminate the contract with Northgate UK, it has been decided to introduce an In-Service Scheme for Clinical Scientist recruitment. Wales will continue its historical links with England by participating in the new arrangements, ensuring that Welsh and English posts continue to appear together in national advertisements. South Central SHA will collate the advertisements from the ten SHAs and Wales and post these on NHS Careers with links to NHS Jobs. An advert will also be placed in New Scientist that signposts the NHS Careers site for prospective applicants. Emphasis will still remain on local shortlisting and recruitment." [From minutes of a Meeting of the Welsh MSC Implementation Committee].

If you want to get an idea of how the training schemes might look in the future, take a look at the various Modernising Scientific Careers documents available on the web, particularly "The UK Forward" and "England Implementation plans"

ReputationRep:
    one of my lecturers (who runs the local branch of clinical engineering in the clinical scientist scheme) says that the whole scheme will be moving to a 3 year plan instead of the 4 year plan.

you still do the msc + supervised work experience. But you just get fully qualified a year earlier somehow. Plus all centres have to sign you up for the 3 years - whereas before some centres only signed you for the 1st 2 years, then you had to re-apply for the 2nd two to fully qualify.

I know my lecturer isn't sure how many people to recruit for the next year, and recruited a lower number to start this year - just because of all the price cuts, they're trying to play it safe.

but everyone i've talked to doesn't seem to know much about when or how applications will be made for the 2011 intake

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting all the information you have on this. I have also been scouring the web trying to find scraps of information for months. I emailed the NHS twice who just said things were still being clarified and they would email back at a later date . So far the only place that seems to be bang up to date is Southampton Uni website, not just about the course but about the whole process in general.

I finished my degree in Biomedical Science this year and after starting a career in science publishing and realizing it is not for me at all, I really want to get on the Audiology training scheme. Anyone else interested in applying for audiology this year? I would be applying for posts with the MSc based in Manchester.

Faye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefee8686)
    Anyone else interested in applying for audiology this year? I would be applying for posts with the MSc based in Manchester.
    Hello!

I want to apply for audiology too. I'm applying for the MSc at Southampton and have got through the first part - just need to complete two assignments for them and see how that goes (fingers crossed!). I'm hoping there will be clinical scientist training posts available in Reading, Windsor or even Guildford, though with the total lack of information it's impossible to know where the training will be taking place.

Best of luck Faye...keep us posted and I'll do the same!

Anna. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    does anyone have any information about the 2011 intake?
    I emailed the nhs careers website and they said that the National Scheme for Training Clinical Scientists is being phased out and they're introducing a three year program called Scientist Training Programme (STP) All posts will be advertised on the NHS Jobs web-site www.jobs.nhs.uk
    The program has rotation around different areas i.e there is no clinical biochemistry anymore, but a 'blood sciences' which includes biochemistry, microbiology, haematology etc and u study them all in year one but get to specalise at the end of the three years.
    as the training program has completley changed this year, its taking longer than usual but they said they'd email me when recruitment takes place so ill keep u guys updated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I stumbled across this thread the other day after trying to find information on how to apply for the scheme this year, and have spent ages reading through all of the posts to find out as I can! Thanks lynsey472 for posting your message, I was starting to get worried that they weren't going to be running it this year as there still isn't anything up on the NHS website. Although I'm not sure what to think about the new changes, I kind of had my heart set on just doing haematology! But hopefully there'll be some more news soon and they won't keep us in suspense for too long!

ReputationRep:
    hi Guys:confused::confused:..

Is anyone else wanting to apply for the clinical siientist scheme with just a Bsc in biomedical science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-caz-xx)

Is anyone else wanting to apply for the clinical siientist scheme with just a Bsc in biomedical science?
    hey caz
    I will be hopefully! I'm just feeling abit lost at what I should be doing at the moment, but I am going to be applying to any trainee biomed posts should they come available in the new year. But this scheme is also appealing and as many have stated on this thread, I have nothing to lose by applying for this scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else wanting to apply for the clinical scientist scheme with just a Bsc in biomedical science?
    Yes! I am! Although funnily enough I don't want a lab-based area such as haematology or microbiology. I want to get on the Audiology scheme. Don't know what they'll make of my degree though!

Faye xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-caz-xx)

Hey, I am a final year student of Biomedical Science. I really want to apply for the clinical science training scheme but kinda worried about the limited experience in this area.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard from a Consultant Clinical Scientist in Brighton that the trainee posts will be made available in December and advertised in New Scientist.

So Hopefully not long to wait now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_Notts)
    I've heard from a Consultant Clinical Scientist in Brighton that the trainee posts will be made available in December and advertised in New Scientist.

So Hopefully not long to wait now!
    Hey, brilliant news! Thank you very much for letting us know

Ooh, and good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I am also waiting for the 2011 recruitment for Clinical Scientist. I am interested in the post of H&I. Thanks for the information above, I wondered has anyone apply for that position before as an international applicant? Is it possible to share you experience? Thank you very very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.