Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    Not really, because of the job crisis in this country, more people are opting to stay in education as long as they can in the hope that when they finish more jobs will be around. Absolutely everything is competitive now - thanks coalition government
    The main point of your message I can understand, it does feel a little hopeless applying for jobs and PhD's now when it's 100 people per place.

However, it's not the fault of the coalition, which hasn't even been in power for a year yet. It's more the fulfilment of Labours higher education policy, i.e. get everyone into university, that'll solve all of our problems. Misguided to say the least of course, when there aren't enough jobs for everyone and so tonnes end up on the scrapheap.

ReputationRep:
    BASICALLY a degree is just NOT enough!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin09)
    Ive applied for two microbiology positions and an immunology one. The website is absolutly rubbish though! I managed to submit the two microbiology applications online, however when ive looked back at the submitted applications, the address ive put down for a previous work experience job has become jumbled up!

Then, when I tried to submit the immunology application, the website kept crashing, so I emailed them, and got a rather terse reply saying it was my fault for pasting text in from Word, and that the site warns about this. What the front page actually says is you cannot paste from Word, but you can, and nowhere does it say this may lead to problems later on! Anyway, have just printed out and am about to post the third application, which I hope arrives by Friday morning!!
    Hi
    I am interested to apply for clinical scientist i am final year student of biomedical science and cannt find anywhere on NHs jobs website how to apply and which option to choose.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thought I'd post an email I got which should answer some queries...

[COLOR="Blue"]Thank you for your enquiry. This training post is one of approximately 200 being funded nationally as part of Modernising Scientific Careers for the NHS. All the posts are due to be advertised by 24th February and will span the range of scientific disciplines within the NHS. An advert will appear in New Scientist shortly with details of all the posts available.

There is a single national timetable for recruitment, national guidelines for the conduct of selection interviews and assessment centres to ensure all candidates are treated fairly and equally. This timetable has just been updated.

Science graduates will apply for the training posts through the NHS Careers website from 24th February to 13th March, with shortlisting and selection processes organised and conducted by local trusts working in established scientific networks. I have been advised that any applications for our vacancy which have already been made will be held for these dates – there is no need to apply again. If you intend to apply for this post and have not yet done so then please wait until 24th February. I am in the process of getting our job advert amended to the new closing date.

Please keep a look out for the full range of posts being offered as I believe you can only apply for a limited number (I think 4 in total) and it would be a shame to start applying before you have the full picture of the opportunities available. The posts are due to start from September or October 2011. After this period of training, successful trainees will be in a position to apply for NHS posts as Healthcare Scientists and to the appropriate professional register.

sigh....

ReputationRep:
    Under the new training scheme, are those previously IPEM accredited courses still accredited? Does anybody know?

If you don't get on a training scheme, could you still do one year's msc then continue onto a shortened training scheme?

ReputationRep:
    So...looks like all the info (or most of it anyway) is up on the NHS Careers website. How exciting! I can't see any vacancies yet on NHS jobs, though..guess they'll be up in a few days.

How's everyone doing? Have you had a look, and if so, what are you hoping to apply for? Are you going to arrange informal visits (not easy when there's so little time!).

ReputationRep:
    I see the NHS careers website, but I see no progress as to more information being available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsi_STP_training_opportunities. shtml
    That link doesn't work :'-(

All I can see is

***The latest information that we have is that details will be on both websites in mid February 2011***

Help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I almost missed it too...but if you go right to the very bottom of the page, you should see this sentence under 'further details':

"Further information about the STP and the application process for 2011 is available on our training pages."

The last two words should be a link. Or, try this:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsci_t...rogramme.shtml

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthea)
    Hey,

I almost missed it too...but if you go right to the very bottom of the page, you should see this sentence under 'further details':

"Further information about the STP and the application process for 2011 is available on our training pages."

The last two words should be a link. Or, try this:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsci_t...rogramme.shtml

Hope that helps
    Thank you!

Hopefully they will give information of the location of the posts soon :-)

Em x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_Notts)
    Thank you!

Hopefully they will give information of the location of the posts soon :-)

Em x
    You're welcome

All the info should be there (and, in truth, it looks like the same locations as have offered Clinical Scientist Training in previous years). If you go to the link above, have a look at the menu on the left hand side. There is a link called 'STP training opportunities'. On that page are pdf documents you can download that list all the vacancies as well as contact details for people involved with each location. There are lots of other useful links too, have a look round

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    Looks like there's no life science options at all in the South West, maybe none of the labs have enough money to recruit anyone. Well that's that career plan out of the window for this year!

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for the blood sciences posts (Clinical chemistry).

Does anyone have an idea of where they'll be applying yet?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I want to apply for the Neurophysiology (Audiology) pathway, and my four choices will be around the south east.

However I'm not having any luck in arranging an informal visit - nobody is getting back to my emails and there aren't any phone numbers supplied. Is anyone else having trouble arranging visits?

What should I do? Try and google the person and see if there's a phone number I could use? I don't want to seem hassly though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthea)
    Well, I want to apply for the Neurophysiology (Audiology) pathway, and my four choices will be around the south east.

However I'm not having any luck in arranging an informal visit - nobody is getting back to my emails and there aren't any phone numbers supplied. Is anyone else having trouble arranging visits?

What should I do? Try and google the person and see if there's a phone number I could use? I don't want to seem hassly though
    I've managed to arrange a visit for the London posts and I had a look around Nottingham and Birmingham last year.....

I haven't heard back from any others... I guess they have been bombarded with emails and working through them slowly :-(

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how places have been allocated to each profession ?

ReputationRep:
    When can we start applying for each vacancy and when are full details of each vacancy posted on the nhs website. Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys! Scroll up the page and you could answer those questions.

You can apply from the 24th. The number of each places is shown to the left side of the pdf file you can download from the NHS website.

Initiative

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here applying for audiology posts. Do you know if experience is required or is it enough to just speak to audiologists to get an insight into the career.

Also, I would think that they are more interested in you as a person, and the skills that you possess.

Another thing is that my degree was in medicinal chemistry. Would that be suitable for audiology, as it does state it looks for pure science, so I guess my degree would count as that. Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm applying for an audiology post too.
    Just to let you know, a few trainee healthcare posts are already up on the NHS jobs website, so far a couple of audiology and medical physics posts are up. I'm guessing they'll start putting them up from now until march xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.