Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris300)
    This is supposed to be like a CV so 4 pages might be too much. They recommend 2 pages of A4 really. Remember it won't be academics reading it, it'll be a company hired to look through them so you need to make a point quickly and concisely!
    It's a personal statement not a cv, they are completely different. Where does it say two pages and that they will hire a company to do the short list?? I hope they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topazx)
    It's a personal statement not a cv, they are completely different. Where does it say two pages and that they will hire a company to do the short list?? I hope they don't.
    Two pages was the limit mentioned on the application form in previous years - for some reason it can't be found anywhere this year, but I wouldn't recommend going over 2-2.5 pages anyway... Firstly, with hundreds of applicants per place they wouldn't want to read 4 pages of statement for everyone, and secondly, it just shows that you cannot present information concisely (one of the core person specs, at least in clinical engineering vacancies).
    And on the note of shortlisting - from the open days I've attended so far I've got an impression each department/lab is doing the shortlisting on their own and then send the names of selected candidates to HR, who will then be inviting people for the assessment centres? But it may just be the wrong impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topazx)
    There is no information regarding the length of the personal statement.

When I spoke to a clinical scientist at St George's hospital she suggested no longer than two pages - if they have to read 100+ applications with 5-page Personal statements it will be quite annoying.

I was told that the hospitals in which you apply will shortlist applicants and these will then be invited to the assessment centre.

I've nearly finished mine now..... just over 2 pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triwka)
    Two pages was the limit mentioned on the application form in previous years - for some reason it can't be found anywhere this year, but I wouldn't recommend going over 2-2.5 pages anyway... Firstly, with hundreds of applicants per place they wouldn't want to read 4 pages of statement for everyone, and secondly, it just shows that you cannot present information concisely (one of the core person specs, at least in clinical engineering vacancies).
    And on the note of shortlisting - from the open days I've attended so far I've got an impression each department/lab is doing the shortlisting on their own and then send the names of selected candidates to HR, who will then be inviting people for the assessment centres? But it may just be the wrong impression.
    Haha!

Think we replied at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    This year the process has changed but in previous years they hired a company to check through them. Can't remember where I read it now but pretty sure it was official.

Like what everyone else has said. It IS different, but I can't imagine needing to write more than 2 pages. They want to see you make your points concisely about experience and not get preachy about wanting it. With most CV's/personal statements, they just skim it looking for key points and really read it later. Readers get an opinion about you from the first 15 seconds of reading your CV :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disenchanted)
    Are you all graduates?
    No not everyone. But at the moment there are all the posts out for graduates wanting to apply for positions and do their Masters to become clinical scientists within the NHS, so that's what most people are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    Newcastle does not count as one of the 4 as they are not adopting the new training scheme so their recruitment is separate.

I emailed them about that and this is what they said:
    "Northern England consortium are operating independently from the new scheme, therefore applying to us would be in addition to the four posts you could apply to as part of Modernising Scientific Careers (the new scheme)."

Thanks for that! I will be sure to apply to Newcastle as well then, any idea if any the other jobs would fall under Northern England consortium too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    The North England Consortium is Newcastle, Middlesborough, Durham, Sunderland, Hartlepool and Carlisle - I have only seen one advert (the Newcastle one) and it says you could do your placements at Carlisle, Middlesboro or Newcastle - i haven't seen separate adverts for Sunderland, Hartlepool or Durham, have you?
    No I have not seen posts for any of them apart for Newcastle. Thanks again! Glad I asked now as I wasnt going to bother. I thought that it was very unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit, but just wanted to let you know, I spoke to the guy at St Georges who is on the short-listing panel and he said the supporting statement should be very concise and "An A4 page answering the person spec is highly desirable."

!!!!

I can get why they would want this, I had three and a half pages but have now cut it down to one and a half and have managed to keep all the essential info still in there!

Wish me luck as I'm about to submit my application now!

ReputationRep:
    I've just been at the St. George's open day, they said "get it in soon because we'll close it by the end of the week". They already have! I'm gutted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why they even bother with closing dates if they're closing early. And some of the posts aren't even up so they're going to advertised for only a few days potentially. Think they might need to review the whole process again for next year! With a little bit more advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mateyface)
    I've just been at the St. George's open day, they said "get it in soon because we'll close it by the end of the week". They already have! I'm gutted.
    If it's for Medical Physics I think this is what you're looking for (and it's still open) http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912631251

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mateyface)
    St George's is still open for Clinical Biochemistry.... Just sent off my application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triwka)
    If it's for Medical Physics I think this is what you're looking for (and it's still open) http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912631251
    Thank you. I realised this after I panicked and decided I needed to get the rest of my applications in (I'd already applied to the place I was most interested in). I don't know why they closed for the application I started to apply for and opened an identical one. Anyway it's my fault for panicking so I'll just have to live with it. I didn't feel particularly welcome at St. Georges anyway so I'm OK with it all. Just need to make myself calm down a bit until I hear/don't hear whether I've got to the next stage!

ReputationRep:
    When can we expect to hear about the outcome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    When can we expect to hear about the outcome?
    I read somewhere that shortlisted candidates will be contacted around two weeks after the 13th March, but if you've not heard by the 4th April then consider your application unsuccessful.

Unless anyone knows different?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, ive following this thread for a while, im looking to apply yo the immunology (blood sciences) program in Leeds but its still not come!? ive e-mailed about an informal lab visit but no replys....anyone know anything about it? its gettin kinda late now!! cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.grant1)
    Hi everyone, ive following this thread for a while, im looking to apply yo the immunology (blood sciences) program in Leeds but its still not come!? ive e-mailed about an informal lab visit but no replys....anyone know anything about it? its gettin kinda late now!! cheers
    According to the training programmes pdf that's available on NHS Careers (which has been updated as various posts are now not being offered) Leeds don't have a training post for immunology this year? Unless I'm blind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.grant1)
    Hey, as the previous post says there doesn't seem to be a post for immunology in Leeds. Were you just assuming it was being offered? Because it's not on the list at all that I can see (below).

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/documen...ble9%20Feb.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Oh my mistake, it was on the PDF the the start but as you guys said its been removed!! stupid NHS cuts...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.