Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow has anyone looked at train ticket prices? Almost £100 return from London. Yikes!

ReputationRep:
    Matey, I feel your pain! I'm flying from Ireland...Birmingham seems to be expensive to get to!

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear I don't envy you!

For London people, I looked on moneysavingexpert and chiltern railways do cheap tickets, they may be good for other areas too.

http://tickets.chilternrailways.co.u...ing/mixingdeck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairyface)
    . So I asked for feedback, and he told me I lost marks for my education. I was really upset because he was obviously looking for PhD candidates (the last few years all successful applicants had PhD's) but still told me to apply - so I had no chance from the beginning and wasted one of my four places!
    Who did you ask for feedback? The department you wanted to work for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenceil)
    Nothing against the scheme but its like those with a PhD are almost overqualifed for a job like this, which in all regards will probably be carried out by robots in 10-20 years and especially when fresh graduates have more or less an equal chance of getting the same job.
    It'll be a long time until robots will be trusted to analyse data when it comes to life or death matters. It is likely that the work of clinical scientists will be more of a desk job in future though, the focus is very much on understanding the principles of each test and how to analyse the data. Even at the moment, carrying out tests is given to lower graded staff wherever possible, so those are the jobs which will disappear when robots take over. Chances are any change in the CS role due to developing technology will only come into play when people who start now are near the very end of their career.

(Original post by chris300)
    Although isn't this technically a graduate scheme not a postgraduate scheme?
    These jobs are the ONLY way into clinical scientist jobs. It's impossible for someone (no matter how experienced they are) to jump 'horizontally' from a research job into a clinical job, they have to start at the bottom with the trainee CS post. So graduates shouldn't feel bitter about more experienced people applying for these jobs, since it's not solely a graduate scheme.

And as GraduateSK says, people who start work without a PhD find it very difficult to find time to get a PhD, as anyone who spends more than 2 years away from the field loses their accreditation to practice clinical science! There are ways around it, but it's MUCH less hassle to get a PhD before getting the job. Because of this, labs like to make sure there are at least a few staff with PhDs, so they can be trained up to consultant level when required. It remains to be seen whether this new standardised criteria system ends up favouring one type of applicant though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleta)
    That really sucks. I've been wondering for awhile how much my years of experience working at a research assistant would help me in getting shortlisted. Were you shortlisted for any other positions?
    No I wasn't short-listed for any that year lol

Tbh - I think you can actually have too much experience, they want fresh blood! lol well thats what I tell myself every year I'm rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    There is an alternate route for people with relevant experience and/or research (at least for medical physics). If you get on this scheme it's route 1 but in there is a route 2- talks about it on the association of clinical scientists website.
    Ah k, I guess it must vary between fields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredBlog)
    Who did you ask for feedback? The department you wanted to work for?
    Well I arranged a lab visit with the Principle Biochemist, and he showed me round and was really helpful explaining about the training course asking all about myself and experience blah blah blah

When I hadn't heard anything I asked him directly for feedback. Told me my education wasnt good enough, so why couldnt he have told me that at the start! Grrrrrrrr

What a waste of time that was.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has applied for haematology and immunology posts heard anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    So did anyone who was actually invited go to the King's open day yesterday? Did they learn anything useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairyface)
    No I wasn't short-listed for any that year lol
    Really? Ugh, that's discouraging. Well hopefully you will have better luck this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plym27)
    Anyone who has applied for haematology and immunology posts heard anything yet?
    Nothing yet, But I know someone who got invited for interview to H&I training on tuesday... So i've given up hope with that one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immuno)
    Nothing yet, But I know someone who got invited for interview to H&I training on tuesday... So i've given up hope with that one!
    Were they invited for imperial?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, ive been following this thread since I applied for clin sci posts a while ago and have found it very useful! I know the actual cut off day is April 4th for life sciences, but has anyone heard about the infectious sciences/microbiology posts???

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said 2:2 goes straight in the bin is incorrect, I have been short-listed for medical physics, attending the interview next week. I am expecting to be grilled about it though!

ReputationRep:
    Nope... and time really is running out. I can't believe with all the people checking this thread that no Life Sciences applicants have heard anything yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim_1621)
    Nope... and time really is running out. I can't believe with all the people checking this thread that no Life Sciences applicants have heard anything yet!
    I know it's strange that nobody on here has an interview yet for life sciences!

Starting to worry

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Ive tried to contact people but it's just too difficult to reach the right person! To be honest i'm so disappointed, I thought I would have been shortlisted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by predatormc)
    Whoever said 2:2 goes straight in the bin is incorrect, I have been short-listed for medical physics, attending the interview next week. I am expecting to be grilled about it though!
    do have any other qualifications and what region/hospital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateSK)
    I have been shortlisted for all four of my choices for biochem
    When did you find out?? Was it by email of phone?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.