Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok there goes my theory! I hope I find out soon! But I just got an offer for medicine at Newcastle to tide me over until then

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Congrats to all who have interviews....good luck!

shamklny- I applied for a microbiology post too. I applied for the post in London but that post stated that they will be interviewing in June/July, I hope I don't have to wait that long to find out if I have an interview, especially as they don't get back to you if you are not sucessful. If anyone does get an interview please do post as it would be nice to know so I can at least put my mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    thanks northlondon.

Right guys, need some help. I'm visiting one of the labs I applied to this Friday and want some advise as to what is expected or what I should do to impress. Is it a totally relaxed affair with me looking about, having a good time or is it more formal? Should I be revising my topic to ask/answer questions? I'll be meeting my hopeful future work colleagues and that's stressing me, should I strive to make an excellent first impression or what? Is this 'informal' lab visit an actual psuedo-interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northlondon)
    I have applied to London, which is my first choice, South Central, Cambridge/Luton and South West. I have only heard from South Central. One of my referees is a clinical biochemist and she said that London are often a couple of weeks behind other regions so she told me not to lose hope yet.

Well done misanthropic - that's amazing.
    That news about London makes me feel a little bit better

Congrats to misanthropic!!

Anyone who's applied to London, what posts have ye applied for??

ReputationRep:
    As regards misanthropic's lab visit: if I were you i would probably dress smart/casual and think of it as a pre-interview maybe?i would definitely come prepared with some questions and i think its best if you treat it more formally than casually??Just some ideas for you anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    Hey! I've also applied for audiology- where did you apply?
    I've applied Wales, (wrexham and another north wales one), north west and east midlands (which was actually sheffield!). Haven't heard anything yet either
    I've applied to Sheff and Manchester too, also Brighton and Reading (only because there were more than 1 or 2 places!). I live in Newcastle though, so it's going to be a real Klart on getting to any interviews if I get one!!! There seems to be a bit of a Southern bias!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spitefulelf)
    I've applied to Sheff and Manchester too, also Brighton and Reading (only because there were more than 1 or 2 places!). I live in Newcastle though, so it's going to be a real Klart on getting to any interviews if I get one!!! There seems to be a bit of a Southern bias!
    Yes there really was! Good luck for hearing about interviews, I hope we start to hear soon!

ReputationRep:
    thanks sarahfal - sound advise, any other views?

ReputationRep:
    thanks northlondon!

In relation to topics I should raise, should I talk more about haematology or the role of a clinical scientist?

ReputationRep:
    And perhaps have a few questions ready to ask, things you may have been thinking about recently or a topic of interest. I definately think that haematology is more important to talk about though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that northlondon. That does make very good sense really! I suppose we might have a fairly long wait in the case.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it seems like it. I am getting really impatient though. I wish they would just hurry up and tell us.

ReputationRep:
    I am too. I keep wanting to call/email and ask when they're interviewing but I don't want to seem pushy. It's irritating me having to wait sort of in the dark really. For all I know the interviews could have been and gone! haha

ReputationRep:
    I hate the waiting so much!Its driving me mad, i really want to ring them up and ask!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just to let you know I just found out by letter today that I have an interview in Reading - aka South Central for audiology! Totally chuffed, although I had to call and ask to change the interview date because I couldn't get the day off work, which was horrible! Hope they don't think I'm not bothered about it!!

If anyone has any ideas for what to read up on let me know!

Arrrghh!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! An audiology interview! They have 5 posts so you're in with a good chance. I bought a book on Audiology:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audiology-In...8178594&sr=8-1

which was helpful for my MSc interview. Would also keep a eye on
    http://theloop.netplan.co.uk/~admin9...tpage&Itemid=1

and

http://www.thebsa.org.uk/

for up to date Audiology information. When is your interview? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I just found out today that I have an interview for Biochemistry in the North West. It is a 45 minute "exercise" followed by an interview. I don't know what this exercise entails - maybe giving a talk?

I haven't heard anything about my other 3 applications.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to jessthecat!!!
    Whens your interview on?

ReputationRep:
    oh an 'exercise', I wander what that involves...it's crap that they don't explain it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and thanks for all your advise in relation to the lab visit. It really was a very informal day, I got to meet all those senior staff that would be above me if I got the job - all very nice although one was slightly eccentric lol. All in all I think I made a good impression...not great....but ok. No interviews until mid-May though which is in contrast to most other posts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.