Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My personal statement for College [is it sufficient?] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, this is my personal statement for college; please tell me what you think!

It's divided into 5 sections:

1. brief background-

I'm ****[name]. I currently study at ******[school name]. I have moved to *****[school name] during September 2006; at the start of Year *[year].
    Initially, in my previous school, I was a low achieving pupil with a, generally, poor History.
    However, since joining *****[school name], I have worked myself up, achieving my potential.
    For GCSE I predict myself 7A* 3A. I feel confident with this goal because with commitment, and moderately hard work, I can (hopefully) achieve it.

2. achievements so far-

I take pride in all of my achievements but, at the same tim, I try my best to keep humble; furthering my achievements to a higher level. I'm particularly proud of my GCSE Maths & Science module results as I, generally, had achieved one of the highest markes - which is fantastic in such competitive environment ******[school name] pupils create.

3. Knowledge and skills gained-

During the past year (start of GCSE courses), I have nurtured an individual outlook of the work; able to interpret things without being affected by others' opinions or methods of propaganda.
    My knowledge of Maths has also significantly improved. I am now able to apply different information and theory to subtle real-life scenarios; hence by taking Further Maths, I would be able to stretch myself further.

4. challenges faced and what was learned from them

I have faced various challenges. Some of these challenges were harder to overcome than others.
    A challenge I have recently faced is tight deadlines, where, in the given time, I am expected to produce an exceptional piece of work.
    Adhering to such deadlines was slightly irritating, and, at times, even profoundly tiring; however I was able to meet them - and I'm proud of that! [Drew a smug, smiley face.]

5. hopes and plans for the future-

In the future I have two distinctive paths which I, for my degree, will possibly take; either Physics + Mathematics, or English Literature.

In terms of a career, I aspire to be either a Physicist, Mathematician, OR a Writer.

P.S. I have recently won the 'Sison Trophy for Practical Science 2008'.
    Thanks! :0

ReputationRep:
    . achievements so far-

I take pride in all of my achievements but, at the same tim, I try my best to keep humble;
    That sounds very pretentious. You really don't need to say that.

Adhering to such deadlines was slightly irritating, and, at times, even profoundly tiring; however I was able to meet them - and I'm proud of that! [Drew a smug, smiley face.]
    Don't do that. Just please, don't. It'll make a mockery of you, especially the smiley face.

Whilst you need to show yourself in the best light, being pretentious and saying you are humble isn't a good way of doing that. A lot of it needs rephrasing.

ReputationRep:
    [Drew a smug, smiley face.]

Please no.

Otherwise its really good!

ReputationRep:
    Read it out to yourself, do you sound like a bit of a prick? :P

ReputationRep:
    P.S. I have recently won the 'Sison Trophy for Practical Science 2008'.
    Just another thing I picked up on. This says to me "P.S. Look at smarmy clever little me".
    This bit should go in achievements, not just added on at the end.

ReputationRep:
    'a, generally, poor history' = no commas needed.
    'tim' = time (?)
    'Adhering to such deadlines was slightly irritating, and, at times, even profoundly tiring' = sounds a little negative, perhaps more about it being a challenge you overcame &c
    'Physics + Mathematics, or English Literature.' = You could make more of this as it shows you have a wide range of interests and abilities.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.