The Student Room Group

Bad flatmates (vent)

So uh... I know it's probably too late for me to do anything now since I'm moving out in about three days (one day prior to my lease ends), but in the past month or two I was legit miserable, if not fearing for my life because of two of my five flatmates.

The two bad flatmates in question: in short, one is most likely a psychopath and the other is a mean girl. The former didn't do anything too bad to me personally (but my other flatmates werent so lucky... they are quite manipulative towards my other roomies and don't get me started on how this person is a fan of a serial killer) and they probably didn't know I'm aware of how problematic they are, but my beef is mostly with the latter.

This girl has always been somewhat aloof ever since we first met and she had a wicked sense of humour the more I got to know her, and even got me to seek help when I was oversharing my mental health issues. However, after that was when the bullying began. She never spoke to me when we're alone together, and if there are other flatmates around, she ignores me, and would throw snide comments at me whenever I try to speak (not to mention she interrupts me all the time. I have a tendency to interrupt people too tbh but I'm trying my best not to). Eventually, she invalidated my struggles one time the moment I brought it up, and I decided to leave after an attempt to tell her I wasn't lying. My other flatmates stood up to her for me after this btw.

So yeah... after a while of things like this happening I began avoiding her, and especially after my other flatmates said that what this girl did WAS bullying. I don't talk to her again, but I know I'll make sure she never sees my face again. And if she does, I'll scream at her.

Anyway, rant over... what could I do next year if any of my (two) new flatmates also turns out to be bullies?
(edited 1 year ago)
jesus that sounds rough. thankfully youre moving out!! honestly finding flatmates is kind of like russian roullete, chances are they will be good or at least decent people but you never know...
yeah I'll be out of Dundee for the summer... and luckily, throughout the past year my 3 other flatmates are genuinely nice, although I have a lot more homework than them (life sciences 2nd year direct entry, my roomies are all in year 1) so I didn't get to know them better no thanks to those two... but I'll visit them again when I come back! :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
The mean one sounds like a twatwaffle. Inject capsaicin into her milk.
Original post by Callicious
The mean one sounds like a twatwaffle. Inject capsaicin into her milk.

Probably, if she has the misfortune of seeing me again after I move out
I hope that all your future flatmates will be a lot better behaved and more friendly. :smile:
These are some of the reasons why I am glad that my days of flatmates, shared bathrooms & kitchens and rented houseshares are long behind me.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
I hope that all your future flatmates will be a lot better behaved and more friendly. :smile:
These are some of the reasons why I am glad that my days of flatmates, shared bathrooms & kitchens and rented houseshares are long behind me.
Good luck!

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending