The Student Room Group

Anyone attended London College of Music? How was it?

Hi!!

I have only one more week to decide which offer to accept. I am an international student (from Peru).

I had an offer from the London College of Music for the BA in Recording, Mixing and Production. At first I was super excited but I haven't been able to find recent reviews or even proper social media accounts. Furthermore, I have read many discouraging comments towards the Uni of West London (which is like the global institution where LCM is part of).

I would highly appreciate if anyone could. tell me there experience while attending LCM. Is it better than Goldsmith or the Leeds Conservatoire?

Thanks!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by goodguydan95
Hi!!

I have only one more week to decide which offer to accept. I am an international student (from Peru).

I had an offer from the London College of Music for the BA in Recording, Mixing and Production. At first I was super excited but I haven't been able to find recent reviews or even proper social media accounts. Furthermore, I have read many discouraging comments towards the Uni of West London (which is like the global institution where LCM is part of).

I would highly appreciate if anyone could. tell me there experience while attending LCM. Is it better than Goldsmith or the Leeds Conservatoire?

Thanks!!!

Even I have offers from LCM and Goldsmiths. I'm more inclined towards LCM because they have an amazing faculty for my instrument (drums)
I'd say that in terms of prestige LCM comes below Leeds Conservatoire and Goldsmiths but Goldsmiths and Leeds are both very different types of institutions.

Leeds will be a highly practical course. They have an excellent reputation for popular music and production courses in particular, along with jazz.

Goldsmiths have an excellent reputation for music academically, but they are also more practical than some universities providing a decent amount of 1:1 tuition from teachers who also teach at the leading conservatoires. They will be more academic and less practical than Leeds

LCM don't have the reputation that places like Leeds, LIPA, Salford & Huddersfield etc do for Music Production but they certainly come above a lot of other places.

Look at the courses, see what industry links there are and see what you can find out about their graduates.
I've just seen your other thread. You have an impressive range of options. I'm curious as to why you are not considering LIPA, it is the pull of London? Saying that, we didn't like the atmosphere at LIPA but it is undoubtedly one of the best places to study Music Production. We loved Salford but the prestige of a Conservatoire (Leeds) won the day although the pull of London was strong we felt it was better to go somewhere with the higher reputation.

I looked up some statistics for music reIated courses I collated a couple of years ago (the applicant to offer rates haven't been published the last few years so they are from 2019)

Goldsmiths - 43% of applicants offered places - 90% graduate employment (32% artistic, 15% teaching, 10% technology - 80% student satisfaction

Leeds Conservatoire - applicant offer rate not published due to small numbers - 96% graduate employment - 35% artistic, 15% sales, 10% elementary occupations - 76% student satisfaction

LIPA - 14% of applicants offered places - 95% graduate employment - 30%% artistic, 15% business, 10% management

Salford - 36% of applicants offered places - 89% graduate employment - 14% multimedia/design, 15% elementary services, 13% artistic, 79% student satisfaction

London College of Music - 73% of applicants made offers - 83% graduate employment - 35% artistic, 12% sales, 12% elementary services

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending