The Student Room Group

if you feel you have low blood sugar and don’t cure it and feel better its not low

blood sugar is it?
Original post by Anon346775
blood sugar is it?

Pressuming you have diabetes perhaps ???

How to treat a low blood sugar level yourself......

Follow these steps if your blood sugar level is less than 3.5mmol/L or you have hypo symptoms:

Have a sugary drink or snack like a small glass of fizzy drink (not a diet variety) or fruit juice, 4 to 5 jelly babies, 3 to 6 glucose tablets or 1 to 2 tubes of glucose gel.
Test your blood sugar after 10 minutes if it's improved and you feel better, move on to step 3. If there's little or no change, treat again with a sugary drink or snack and take another reading after 10 to 15 minutes.
You may need to eat your main meal (containing a slow-release carbohydrate) if it's the right time to have it. Or, have a snack that contains a slow-release carbohydrate, such as a slice of bread or toast, a couple of biscuits, or a glass of cows' milk.
You do not usually need to get medical help once you're feeling better if you only have a few hypos.

But tell your diabetes team if you keep having hypos or if you stop having symptoms when your blood sugar level is low.

If this doesn't work then call NHS 24 on 111 for further medical advice if you are unable to get hold of your own GP.
Original post by Tracey_W
Pressuming you have diabetes perhaps ???

How to treat a low blood sugar level yourself......

Follow these steps if your blood sugar level is less than 3.5mmol/L or you have hypo symptoms:

Have a sugary drink or snack like a small glass of fizzy drink (not a diet variety) or fruit juice, 4 to 5 jelly babies, 3 to 6 glucose tablets or 1 to 2 tubes of glucose gel.
Test your blood sugar after 10 minutes if it's improved and you feel better, move on to step 3. If there's little or no change, treat again with a sugary drink or snack and take another reading after 10 to 15 minutes.
You may need to eat your main meal (containing a slow-release carbohydrate) if it's the right time to have it. Or, have a snack that contains a slow-release carbohydrate, such as a slice of bread or toast, a couple of biscuits, or a glass of cows' milk.
You do not usually need to get medical help once you're feeling better if you only have a few hypos.

But tell your diabetes team if you keep having hypos or if you stop having symptoms when your blood sugar level is low.

If this doesn't work then call NHS 24 on 111 for further medical advice if you are unable to get hold of your own GP.

I don’t have diabetes but I do have issues with my glycogen storage. I am underweight which could be why, don’t eat enough, and also have a rare illness called Russell Silver Syndrome, affecting my ability to eat, gain weight, grow and causes low blood sugar.

I know plenty of people who have hypoglycaemia but don’t have diabetes, like my sister who is of normal height, weight and eats enough but suffers migraines and hypos.
Original post by Anon346775
I don’t have diabetes but I do have issues with my glycogen storage. I am underweight which could be why, don’t eat enough, and also have a rare illness called Russell Silver Syndrome, affecting my ability to eat, gain weight, grow and causes low blood sugar.

I know plenty of people who have hypoglycaemia but don’t have diabetes, like my sister who is of normal height, weight and eats enough but suffers migraines and hypos.

Hi

I only said I presume you have diabetes because of what you said about low sugar levels as you never said you didn't have it okay.

That's good you don't have diabetes.
So you have issues with your glycogen storage abilities which affects your liver ( Where is glycogen mainly stored.... the liver, In vertebrates it is stored mainly in the liver as a reserve of glucose for other tissues. In hepatocyte cells it is accumulated and mobilized according to blood glucose availability and to extrahepatic cells. Glycogen is also stored in muscles and fat cells.).

Could be what you have said about things that is causing the underweight issue you have. I don't know if your GP has suggested anything else that could be helpful to you with it as they are the best people in which who could advise you on what you can do.
Obviously I understand the Russel silver syndrome will affect you as well with height etc and this will affect you what you are eating and restricting any growth for you. Hence why you have low blood sugar levels issues probably.

Yes majority of people with hypoglycemia issues with low blood sugar don't necessarily have diabetes because they must be eating enough food with sugar in it to avoid it going into diabetes.

Unfortunately you may know that anybody who is normal height etc maybe suffer with migraine but you'll also those who won't suffer from them.

Quick Reply

Latest