A-level Religious studies

Watch this thread
Mentor05
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, for the question below I was just wondering whether I had to talk about utilitarianism or situation ethics? Could I say natural law is the best even though it's not in the question? If not, do I have to talk about both utilitarianism and situation ethics or could I just say situation ethics is best and explain why? Thanks!

Which normative ethical theory, Utilitarianism or Situation Ethics, deals best with the moral questions raised by euthanasia?
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Which exam board is this for?
Rara345
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Personally i would talk about both, I would chose one i prefer (I would go rule utility as best personally) and then use situation ethics to show why utility is better,
eg paragraph about how rule utility is goob bc it protects from harm with harm princple then boom situation ethics is bad bc it doesnt, thereofre ppl open to predatorial relationships etc. I woudl use taht strucure and do it three times.
I think its fine to bring in N.L, as long as you also talk about S.E and utilitarianism as they are named. I definitely would discuss both.
I hope the question is like that so nervous for an RS dodgy question and il panic
Mentor05
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Personally i would talk about both, I would chose one i prefer (I would go rule utility as best personally) and then use situation ethics to show why utility is better,
eg paragraph about how rule utility is goob bc it protects from harm with harm princple then boom situation ethics is bad bc it doesnt, thereofre ppl open to predatorial relationships etc. I woudl use taht strucure and do it three times.
I think its fine to bring in N.L, as long as you also talk about S.E and utilitarianism as they are named. I definitely would discuss both.
I hope the question is like that so nervous for an RS dodgy question and il panic
Thanks, I'll do just that! Same - hopefully OCR are not cruel!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It is specifically asking you to choose between the two, so choose between the two. Choosing NL amounts to not directly answering the question, which will lose you marks.

You need to identify and state the moral questions raised by euthanasia, then say how Util and SE deal with them, then say which of the two is more satisfying.

(I am a qualified RS teacher)
Last edited by gjd800; 2 months ago
Rara345
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mentor05)
Thanks, I'll do just that! Same - hopefully OCR are not cruel!
Same!! Also I just realised I was revising sexual ethics, so said protection from predatorial relationships, haha ig it still kind of works with euthanasia tho but more manipulation.
Rara345
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
It is specifically asking you to choose between the two, so choose between the two. Choosing NL amounts to not directly answering the question, which will lose you marks.

You need to identify and state the moral questions raised by euthanasia, then say how Util and SE deal with them, then say which of the two is more satisfying.

(I am a qualified RS teacher)
Would you mind pls helping me a question? I'm not sure if you teach OCR but if so, I'm rlly struggling with 'critically compare Plato's form of good and Aristotle's prime mover'
tysm
Joe312
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
For OCR this is not a question you could get. You can only be asked about the application of Natural Law and Situation ethics for euthanasia.

Utilitarianism and Kant cannot be asked for euthanasia. All four ethical theories could be asked about for sexual ethics however.
Last edited by Joe312; 2 months ago
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Joe312)
For OCR this is not a question you could get. You can only be asked about the application of Natural Law and Situation ethics on euthanasia.

Utilitarianism and Kant cannot be asked for euthanasia. All four ethical theories could be asksed about for sexual ethics however.
It sounds like a practice thing to me, we would semi-often set ours questions they couldn't get but which we thought'd be good to develop skills more broadly
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Would you mind pls helping me a question? I'm not sure if you teach OCR but if so, I'm rlly struggling with 'critically compare Plato's form of good and Aristotle's prime mover'
tysm
I am just about to go.into 4 hours of meetings so maybe later/tomorrow - or Joe (below) is always fab with this stuff.
Rara345
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I am just about to go.into 4 hours of meetings so maybe later/tomorrow - or Joe (below) is always fab with this stuff.
thank you, that would be amazing (tomorrow/ later or Joe)
edit to add, 4 hours of meeting sounds horrendous.
Last edited by Rara345; 2 months ago
hiiiiiiye2ue89
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi, could someone explain if the Harm Principle is the same as the Liberty principle? From my understanding the Liberty Principle says we should be able to do what we want as long as we don't harm others while the Harm principle states our actions should only be restricted if they harm others, which I am quite sure mean the same thing right?
Rara345
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hiiiiiiye2ue89)
Hi, could someone explain if the Harm Principle is the same as the Liberty principle? From my understanding the Liberty Principle says we should be able to do what we want as long as we don't harm others while the Harm principle states our actions should only be restricted if they harm others, which I am quite sure mean the same thing right?
I'm not sure, but my understanding was Mill wrote about the harm principle in his book called 'on liberty' I haven;t heard of the liberty principle?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
32%
Take a gap year (6)
24%
Resit my exams (6)
24%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12%
I don't know yet (1)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads