Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to dinner with somebody tomorrow...they're cooking so I said I'd bring wine. I don't think either of us know much about wine, but can I get some guidelines as to how to choose a non-awful one? Obviously, student, so we're not talking proper vintage stuff, just something that tastes fine for under £8 that I can get easily. Or just an idea of what sort of thing to be looking for. And red, please. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Blossom Hill

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just make sure you don't get Blossom Hill or Hardy's or the like.

French reds are good but tend to be overpriced so you can't really get as good a wine for £8 as you can with eg. Spanish.

Eg. Campo Viejo Reserva (6.50 at Tesco, brownish orange label) is usually a fairly safe bet, as are Torres' wines such as Gran Sangre de Toro.

Another good non-Spanish one might be eg. Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile).

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, go to a supermarket, don't buy anything with a deal on it. From there - buy a new world wine, maybe south african (they tend to be the best value for money from supermarkets), and preferably get 2006 rathern the 2007 if you can. other then that, just whatever looks nice and isn't obviously a brand. Avoid blossom hill etc. like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    Why not Blossom Hill? I like it

ReputationRep:
    Try Faugères or Côte Rotie. You should definitely be able to get a bottle of the former for £8 or below. Failing that there's always Chablis

ReputationRep:
    Oh. And don't get a pinot grigio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Why not Blossom Hill? I like it
    Because Blossom Hill, Hardy's, Jacob's Creek, etc. are the typical stuff broke students buy and drink straight out of the bottle.

It's not exactly something that will impress a person cooking a nice dinner for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses! One of my flatmates recommended Casillero del Diablo as well, actually, so I might look out for that. But I will write all these down and scour Sainsburys tomorrow for a likely looking bottle. As I figure my future relationship status almost definitely rests on this decision! But yes, it would be good to actually find something decent, so thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ongels)
    Thanks for all the responses! One of my flatmates recommended Casillero del Diablo as well, actually, so I might look out for that. But I will write all these down and scour Sainsburys tomorrow for a likely looking bottle. As I figure my future relationship status almost definitely rests on this decision! But yes, it would be good to actually find something decent, so thanks everyone.
    If you get that, just make sure you get Cabernet Sauvignon. (Carmenere is not very good in my opinion, I've never tried their Shiraz so can't say about that).

Cab Sauv is I think 6.99 at Sainsbury's but £5 at ASDA.

A Beaujolais villages, or actually a Cotes du Rhone, French red will suit most foods. A range can be found at the usual suspects, usually starting at £4.

ReputationRep:
    The best wine I have ever had is Western Cellars Rose from Spar its on 3 or £10 as well! Beautiful. Tastes like strawberry's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Try Faugères or Côte Rotie. You should definitely be able to get a bottle of the former for £8 or below. Failing that there's always Chablis
    Chablis for less than 8 quid? Where do you shop!? Plus the OP wanted a red.

If you're willing to spend a few quid more, go for a Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Probably be around £11. That's really good stuff, though. Failing that, any french red over £5 is likely to be pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Wolf Blass yellow label. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    chateuneuf de pape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Chablis for less than 8 quid? Where do you shop!? Plus the OP wanted a red.
    Chardonnay comes under Chablis as well yknow And yes...the OP did want a red. Oops :o:

If you're willing to spend a few quid more, go for a Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Probably be around £11. That's really good stuff, though. Failing that, any french red over £5 is likely to be pretty good.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spike4848)
    Oh. And don't get a pinot grigio.

when looking for a nice red wine thatd be a very retarded wine to get. just incase, dont get sauvignon blanc or chardonnay either :p:

ReputationRep:
    depends on the meal

i'd agree and say blossom hill is a bit vile

try the french connection red - it doesn't work very well with spicy food though it gives it a more bitter taste but it has a sweet and fruity flavour.

if you dont like sweet things too much *like me* i makes a good desert wine, its sweet but not sickening

ReputationRep:
    What did you end up getting in the end OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    when looking for a nice red wine thatd be a very retarded wine to get. just incase, dont get sauvignon blanc or chardonnay either :p:

Oops, missed the 'a red please' bit at the end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.