The Student Room Group

Year 1 - Failed 1st Nursing Placement

What happens if you fail your first assessed nursing placement please if you have been off with sickness?
Original post by MHNUOP
What happens if you fail your first assessed nursing placement please if you have been off with sickness?

@Emily_B
@moonkatt

Usually you'll have to redo the placement at some point either before the end of the current academic term year or early in the next academic year.

As per NMC regulations below as read the link to the NMC website on it.
What happens if I fail a placement nursing....
If you fail an assignment, placement or examination, you would usually be offered an opportunity to re-sit. If you still fail to meet the required standard following the attempts allowed under the course regulations, you can consider an academic appeal.

A NHS registered midwife
https://www.rcn.org.uk rcn-advice
Student nurses | Advice guides - Royal College of Nursing
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the link which I have just had a look at.

I have been told we have to do 5 weeks to pass a placement and I know I have not done this.

Does this mean I will resit the placement in Year 2 when Uni starts up again in September please?

Also I still have 3 weeks left on this placement so will the remaining hours I do still count towards what is expected by the end of year 3?
Original post by MHNUOP

I have been told we have to do 5 weeks to pass a placement and I know I have not done this.

Does this mean I will resit the placement in Year 2 when Uni starts up again in September please?

Also I still have 3 weeks left on this placement so will the remaining hours I do still count towards what is expected by the end of year 3?

You'll have to complete all your hours for both university and any placement you do.

So MNC states that you must complete 2300 hours of university studying/ practicals and theories and also 2300 hours of placement hours a total of 4600 hours before end of your 3 year degree course. If you don't complete these then the NMC will not allow you to be a registered nurse .

Usually you'll have to complete each year hours within the current academic year which could mean you have to work through any holidays for example or do extra days when you on a current placement or even weekends when you are still at university for your studying to make up things BUT this must be all approved by your course leader and placement officer before you can do this.
If they can't arrange for it to be done by any end of this year coursework then you'll have to fit it in sometime in the next academic year.
So basically you'll have to complete the placement at some point when this is arranged for you to go to. Might not be at the same one you have failed at but you need to still get it done.

All your current hours you have done is fine it's only those hours which is not completed is the issue you need to complete.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
You'll have to complete all your hours for both university and any placement you do.

So MNC states that you must complete 2300 hours of university studying/ practicals and theories and also 2300 hours of placement hours a total of 4600 hours before end of your 3 year degree course. If you don't complete these then the NMC will not allow you to be a registered nurse .

Usually you'll have to complete each year hours within the current academic year which could mean you have to work through any holidays for example or do extra days when you on a current placement or even weekends when you are still at university for your studying to make up things BUT this must be all approved by your course leader and placement officer before you can do this.
If they can't arrange for it to be done by any end of this year coursework then you'll have to fit it in sometime in the next academic year.
So basically you'll have to complete the placement at some point when this is arranged for you to go to. Might not be at the same one you have failed at but you need to still get it done.

All your current hours you have done is fine it's only those hours which is not completed is the issue you need to complete.

Many thanks for the information..my mind is at ease as i have been off on three different occasions on this placement due to illness which has really got me down.
Original post by MHNUOP
Many thanks for the information..my mind is at ease as i have been off on three different occasions on this placement due to illness which has really got me down.

No worries ☺️☺️

Your main concern is that your health comes first and foremost and then focus on your nursing degree.
This is the thing with taking time of due to illnesses that you have to make up the missing hours or else you want be able to work as a nurse at the end of your 3 years as NMC has strict rules.

Hopefully you are feeling much better now and are able to go and complete the rest of your first year as a student nurse.
Reply 6
No worries ☺️☺️

Your main concern is that your health comes first and foremost and then focus on your nursing degree.
This is the thing with taking time of due to illnesses that you have to make up the missing hours or else you want be able to work as a nurse at the end of your 3 years as NMC has strict rules.

Hopefully you are feeling much better now and are able to go and complete the rest of your first year as a student nurse.

I am on the mend thank you, and returning to my placement on Monday as they are closed Thursday and Friday for the Jubilee holiday.

I have a stomach bug at present and have to allow 48 hours clear due to infection control guidelines.

I was off with Covid the first week for a few days, went back and then cluster migraines the week after, went back and now upset stomach so it is all hitting me at once.
Original post by MHNUOP
I am on the mend thank you, and returning to my placement on Monday as they are closed Thursday and Friday for the Jubilee holiday.

I have a stomach bug at present and have to allow 48 hours clear due to infection control guidelines.

I was off with Covid the first week for a few days, went back and then cluster migraines the week after, went back and now upset stomach so it is all hitting me at once.

Good to hear you are on the mend now.

Covid can cause other health issues but hopefully you will not get any more unexpected problems.

Yes keep clear of the placement if you have any such things like upset stomach and covid related things as last thing you want is to spread whatever you got plus it's not recommended for you to go in anyway when ill.

Look forward to Monday and continuing with your placement and hopefully you will enjoy it without any further disruption.
Original post by MHNUOP

Original post by MHNUOP

You have to pass every single placement to be able to carry on to the next year - so you're going to have to re-sit the placement, probably over the summer. You (usually) only get to carry placement over if you've deferred it. Yes, the hours you've done will count towards your total over the 3 years.
Who has told you that you have to do 5 weeks' worth of placement to pass? It used to be a minimum of 4 weeks - but this was scrapped a couple of years ago when the new (current!) educational standards came in. (Unless this is a university/placement area agreement)
Reply 9
Good to hear you are on the mend now.

Covid can cause other health issues but hopefully you will not get any more unexpected problems.

Yes keep clear of the placement if you have any such things like upset stomach and covid related things as last thing you want is to spread whatever you got plus it's not recommended for you to go in anyway when ill.

Look forward to Monday and continuing with your placement and hopefully you will enjoy it without any further disruption.

I hope they don't think that I've been taking the biscuit as I have heard stories of students going to fitness to practice panels regarding attendance.
Reply 10
Original post by Emily_B
You have to pass every single placement to be able to carry on to the next year - so you're going to have to re-sit the placement, probably over the summer. You (usually) only get to carry placement over if you've deferred it. Yes, the hours you've done will count towards your total over the 3 years.
Who has told you that you have to do 5 weeks' worth of placement to pass? It used to be a minimum of 4 weeks - but this was scrapped a couple of years ago when the new (current!) educational standards came in. (Unless this is a university/placement area agreement)

Hi,

It was the University who said we have to do 5 weeks in a placement in order to pass.

This is my first assessed placement of year 1 and prior to this I had a 3 week non assessed placement.
Original post by MHNUOP
I hope they don't think that I've been taking the biscuit as I have heard stories of students going to fitness to practice panels regarding attendance.

They can send you to a occupational health doctor / nurse if they want to.
Providing you have provided medical evidence to support reason why you are of ill then it's up to whoever to decide whether or not you have to be sent to occupational health.
Reply 12
They can send you to a occupational health doctor / nurse if they want to.
Providing you have provided medical evidence to support reason why you are of ill then it's up to whoever to decide whether or not you have to be sent to occupational health.

I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and suffer with bad migraines which I have been to my GP about recently to change my medication, so I presume Occupational Health will be able to communicate with my GP?
Original post by MHNUOP
I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and suffer with bad migraines which I have been to my GP about recently to change my medication, so I presume Occupational Health will be able to communicate with my GP?

Occupational health can only communicate with your GP if you give them written consent.
But only if you are sent to them.
Original post by Emily_B

Thanks you Emily hunni for your adult nurse advice on things xx
Original post by MHNUOP
Hi,

It was the University who said we have to do 5 weeks in a placement in order to pass.

This is my first assessed placement of year 1 and prior to this I had a 3 week non assessed placement.

That's a bit frustrating. I'd suggest that you speak to university occupational health and get them communicating with your GP, just to help back up any absence related issues.
Original post by MHNUOP

In my university they make you catch up in august. If you are bellow 80hrs behind then you can catch up in second year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending