University Course Decisions

Watch this thread
ellie12368
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey so I am basically entirely stuck of what i want to do at university and i am struck with two subjects which don't necessarily corelate AT ALL!
i originally wanted to do music and wanted to do a music production degree in london but now im having second thoughts... because now i feel like doing a law degree with music on the side as a hobby or as a freelancer makes more sense. a part of me feels like music wont take me where i want to go in terms of financial things in the future and i dont want to be influenced by other people saying "oh you're gonna make it" and then ultimately i don't. the subjects I picked at A Level are Music Technology BTEC, A Level French and A Level Law (A weird mix i know) and im pretty good at all of them a Law and French degree doesnt sound too bad but at the same time i need AAA for university if i want to do that so i'd rather do a law degree and use my french skills outside of that in the future. Okay enough of me rambling. Do any of you know how to overcome this problem of being stuck on what to choose???
Last edited by ellie12368; 2 months ago
BPP University
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ellie12368)
Hey so I am basically entirely stuck of what i want to do at university and i am struck with two subjects which don't necessarily corelate AT ALL!
i originally wanted to do music and wanted to do a music production degree in london but now im having second thoughts... because now i feel like doing a law degree with music on the side as a hobby or as a freelancer makes more sense. a part of me feels like music wont take me where i want to go in terms of financial things in the future and i dont want to be influenced by other people saying "oh you're gonna make it" and then ultimately i don't. the subjects I picked at A Level are Music Technology BTEC, A Level French and A Level Law (A weird mix i know) and im pretty good at all of them a Law and French degree doesnt sound too bad but at the same time i need AAA for university if i want to do that so i'd rather do a law degree and use my french skills outside of that in the future. Okay enough of me rambling. Do any of you know how to overcome this problem of being stuck on what to choose???
Hi Ellie,

Making a decision of what to study at university can be really difficult - I can guarantee you won't be the only one who is thinking this way.

What I would say is that you don't need to study a law degree to quality as a solicitor or barrister in the future (if you're thinking this is why you need to opt for a law degree). Many law school students study a non-law degree and then convert to law later, it entirely depends on what you're passionate about pursuing as a career.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your studies.

Jen
BPP University
NestleCrunch
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ellie12368)
Hey Ellie,

I was in your place last year but instead I was choosing between Law and Film Production. For context I studied English Lit & Lang (A), French (A) and Law (B). I'm a really creative person but I know how the industry can be really hard to get into.

Because of societal pressure and pressuring myself for certain type of finances in the future, I decided to go ahead with a Law degree and I ended up skipping all my lectures and not doing any assignments by November. This is because Law isn't my passion and when you study something your not passionate about at university level, it can feel like a punishment.

As a fellow creative person, your internal desire to release this creativity will gnaw away at you if you don't have a way to satisfy it. I eventually ended up in a gap year without actually taking a gap year and I felt really alone and purposeless because of it. However, if working with music on the side is enough to satisfy you, then go down that route as it may work for you.

I would recommend you just follow your passion. You're still very young and can take a law degree whenever you want - or not, because you don't need to be at uni to work in law. Don't follow the money or the option that 'makes sense'. You can make money in any industry as long as you have the skill and keep refining it.

Finally, one thing to try to reveal which option to choose is to imagine we live in a world where everybody works for free - in this world, would you rather be working in music or in law?

Hope this helps!
yunoforyuki
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
hi!

I’ll give you some insight for law as an A Level subject.

Law in A Level is one of the hardest subjects i took. It requires you to be attentive and listen in all your classes to understand what you need to know and what you don’t necessarily need to know. The worse part of law is the memorisation. Memorising over 8 topics for one paper is not fun, considering that each 8 topics have subtopics and each essay has about 10-20 cases each. As a person who doesn’t really attend class but studies hard towards the exam, i found this really difficult. However, the good thing about law is that if your memory is good, then it will be easy. Essay questions aren’t really different from year to year, just depends which topics come out.

Also, if you want to do law in the future, you don’t need law in A levels. Heck, many universities actually prefer if you don’t take law as it’s seen as a soft subject, and they want to teach you law with a clean slate, and not with the knowledge you have in A levels.

If it were me, i would turn back time and take english literature rather than law, but that’s just my personal opinion ahahah. If you have no passion in law you will find it increasingly challenging to memorise case laws and Statutes that you have no particular interest in.

Wish you all the best! Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (20)
17.24%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (30)
25.86%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (62)
53.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.45%

Watched Threads