Only getting minimum maintenance loan

Watch this thread
Aysom
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I applied for the maximum amount of the student maintenance loan—I currently live with my mum and work part time but will be moving to student accomidation and heavily reducing my work hours for my course, but I've only received the minimum (£4,524) maintenace loan amount?

Is there a way I can apply for any more or find out why I was only judged eligible for the minimum? Combined with what little work I'd have time to do, this would scarcely be enough to cover just accomodation, let alone anything else.

Do I need to print, fill in, and send off those forms about household income?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
SFE will award the basic loan first. It takes another 6-8 weeks for them to do the household income assessment (assuming you have provided all the information and evidence for them to do the assessment ). Once that’s done your loan is adjusted upwards

Has your mum provided her income information and proof of single status?
Last edited by PQ; 2 months ago
Aysom
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
She hasn't, no—I've only done the online application so far, which didn't seem to ask for those at all. I do have the "apply based on household income" sheets all printed out, I can get them filled in and sent in, is that what I need to do to get them to do that? The only evidence I've provided so far is that of my own income, though I've been living at home I've worked the past 3 years.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aysom)
She hasn't, no—I've only done the online application so far, which didn't seem to ask for those at all. I do have the "apply based on household income" sheets all printed out, I can get them filled in and sent in, is that what I need to do to get them to do that? The only evidence I've provided so far is that of my own income, though I've been living at home I've worked the past 3 years.
Yes, they will only assess you for the higher amounts if your submit your household income and the relevant individuals submit their income information - and it takes 6-8 weeks after that is received for them to revise your entitlement.

Don't assume just because you've been working for the last three years you will be automatically assessed as an independent student. They will only automatically consider students over the age of 25 as independent, and the onus is on you to prove you are independent - which usually requires submitting payslips, rent agreements, etc. If you have been living at home this points to you not being independent because you are dependent on your parents for shelter clearly though...
SFE Erin N
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

(Original post by Aysom)
Hi, I applied for the maximum amount of the student maintenance loan—I currently live with my mum and work part time but will be moving to student accomidation and heavily reducing my work hours for my course, but I've only received the minimum (£4,524) maintenace loan amount?

Is there a way I can apply for any more or find out why I was only judged eligible for the minimum? Combined with what little work I'd have time to do, this would scarcely be enough to cover just accomodation, let alone anything else.

Do I need to print, fill in, and send off those forms about household income?
Hi There,

It sounds like you’ve been assessed without the household income while your evidence of self-support is waiting for processing. We’d recommend contacting us directly if you’d like an update regarding this; you can do this through the live chat and secure messaging through your online account.

Thanks, Erin N
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (73)
67.59%
In the post (5)
4.63%
Text (15)
13.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
13.89%

Watched Threads