The Student Room Group

Tips for A Levels? (History, Maths, Chemistry)

Hi, I have my exams coming in the next month, I was wondering if there are any last minute tips for my exams?

I take History, Maths and Chemistry

Thanks
maths - PRACTISE! try to take part in lessons and make sure you do your homework & revise for topic tests. it makes bigger exams so much easier.

history - i don't take this but make your notes early and (if you can) try and make a rough timeline. also read the essay question carefully. i've heard that mind maps are really good for history, especially if you're 'planning' it for an essay question / area of a question

chemistry - no clue sorry
Original post by nathan6
Hi, I have my exams coming in the next month, I was wondering if there are any last minute tips for my exams?

I take History, Maths and Chemistry

Thanks

For maths, make sure you're getting the most out of your calculator! If it's a graphical calculator, make sure you know how to use all the features (at least those available in exam mode). Even non-graphical calculators may have the capacity to solve equations and do various integrals and derivatives, so check if yours can and you can use it to check your answers.

Also for the statistics section, make sure you've got your hypothesis tests completely mastered. You can gain so many relatively easy marks for these, so make sure you're not dropping marks for silly things like forgetting to write your conclusion in context or not defining your population parameter.
Reply 3
Original post by ScoutLeopard
maths - PRACTISE! try to take part in lessons and make sure you do your homework & revise for topic tests. it makes bigger exams so much easier.

history - i don't take this but make your notes early and (if you can) try and make a rough timeline. also read the essay question carefully. i've heard that mind maps are really good for history, especially if you're 'planning' it for an essay question / area of a question

chemistry - no clue sorry

Thank you but unfortunately I'm on study leave now and at the last month of my sixth form, I will be making as many mind maps as I can!
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
For maths, make sure you're getting the most out of your calculator! If it's a graphical calculator, make sure you know how to use all the features (at least those available in exam mode). Even non-graphical calculators may have the capacity to solve equations and do various integrals and derivatives, so check if yours can and you can use it to check your answers.

Also for the statistics section, make sure you've got your hypothesis tests completely mastered. You can gain so many relatively easy marks for these, so make sure you're not dropping marks for silly things like forgetting to write your conclusion in context or not defining your population parameter.

Thank you! I'll be going through the calculator hopefully it will make the exam easier
Original post by nathan6
Thank you but unfortunately I'm on study leave now and at the last month of my sixth form, I will be making as many mind maps as I can!

haha i misinterpreted and thought you were in year 11! i'm in year 13 as well! hopefully all the exams will go well!

what board are you for maths?
hi there! i took history for a levels and just completed my papers. I’m doing CAIE and i’m not sure which you are doing. What works for me is in the following steps: 1. Go through past 3-4 years of past year questions 2. Analyse which common question comes out and focus on that. The mark scheme really helps in understanding what you need to add in and what you don’t.3. Analysis and evaluation is key to getting a higher grade. You need to analyse the events that happened and point out how it effected different people. 4. Historians. For example, i did Cold War, so i would memorise 1-2 historians analysis on the cold war or whatever you did eg Russian Revolution , Stalin’s Russia , Hitler’s Germany, and then add it into your conclusion to either solidify your statement or counter argue your own points, and reach a final conclusion.5. Mind maps!! I made 3-5 mind maps for each and it really helped compile what is really important and what isn’t.6. Don’t waste time on memorising dates and numbers or percentages. Just remember the timeline (which event went first) and if the approx numbers if you want and if something increased or decreased. 7. Doing past year questions help you apply your knowledge and you will see this when you do more pyq, and realise many points and facts can be used for different questions.
Reply 7
I'm on edexcel hbu?

Original post by ScoutLeopard
haha i misinterpreted and thought you were in year 11! i'm in year 13 as well! hopefully all the exams will go well!

what board are you for maths?
Original post by nathan6
I'm on edexcel hbu?

OCR - my first exam (pure) is tomorrow. when's your first maths exam?

Quick Reply