The Student Room Group

Is asthma the worst chronic illness you can get

Is asthma the worst chronic illness you can get ? Excluding terminal illness of course. Particularly adult onset asthma as this tends to persist

As it affects the breathing and there’s the constant threat of a severe asthma attack/not being able to breath

Whereas other chronic diseases ie diabetes, chronic kidney failure, neurological conditions don’t pose a constant immediate threat to life if you know what I mean

What do you think?
No. Much worse illnesses out there.
Reply 2
Not necessarily. There's different kinds of asthma, with different triggers, not all require inhalers and even developing it as an adult doesn't mean it will be debilitating.

Asthma hasn't stopped David Beckham, Sir Mo Farah, Michael Phelps, Frank Lampard, Paula Radcliffe, Bono, Eminem...or me!
Original post by Surnia
Not necessarily. There's different kinds of asthma, with different triggers, not all require inhalers and even developing it as an adult doesn't mean it will be debilitating.

Asthma hasn't stopped David Beckham, Sir Mo Farah, Michael Phelps, Frank Lampard, Paula Radcliffe, Bono, Eminem...or me!

There’s the constant risk to life though and threat of not being able to breath I’m wondering how can it not be one of the worst. Is it not scary..
Only really asking due to my fear of developing it as I have all the risk factors
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
There’s the constant risk to life though and threat of not being able to breath I’m wondering how can it not be one of the worst. Is it not scary..
Only really asking due to my fear of developing it as I have all the risk factors

Eighteen years on from my diagnosis of adult cold air asthma: I don't feel at risk as my lung function is good, I don't need an inhaler, I don't struggle to breathe and just have a coughing fit with certain triggers, which funnily enough is rarely cold air outside, but can more usually be the chiller section in supermarkets, and smoke bombs at football, which is very unpleasant, but nothing more.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
It's not the worst, but it's no fun. My chest is ****ed, I take steroids every day and since having covid, routinely have attacks. It's not great.
Is asthma the worst chronic illness you can get ? Excluding terminal illness of course. Particularly adult onset asthma as this tends to persist

As it affects the breathing and there’s the constant threat of a severe asthma attack/not being able to breath

Whereas other chronic diseases ie diabetes, chronic kidney failure, neurological conditions don’t pose a constant immediate threat to life if you know what I mean

What do you think?

I mean I'm asthmatic and yes, it's annoying but it's not terrible. Obviously it depends on how severe your asthma is but I do think there are much worse chronic illnesses.
Are we really playing the "oppression olympics" with chronic diseases now? Appalling.

Also as a lifelong asthmatic I've no doubt there are other potentially life threatening chronic illnesses out there, and more to the point there are other chronic illnesses which present much more immediate and wide ranging damage to ongoing quality of life than well controlled asthma does. ALS, cystic fibrosis, Huntingdons and dementia, among no doubt many others, all create much bigger differences to an individuals life than asthma does, even if those conditions are well controlled.

Keeping asthma well controlled also isn't really that bad once you know what your triggers are and can mitigate/avoid them, and keep your blue inhaler on you. Honestly even for me personally my depression and anxiety have a much bigger effect on my life as chronic illnesses than my asthma - and my asthma was really severe when I was younger and I have been hospitalised due to it before, and had to regularly use a nebuliser and variety of inhalers before. Now I just have two.

Also I believe statistically heart disease is a much greater driver of early deaths than asthma.
(edited 1 year ago)
As someone who's had asthma their whole life, no.
As someone with two chronic illnesses (asthma and M.E.), no, the asthma is absolutely not the worst. My asthma is pretty well controlled and I've found that most symptoms can be suppressed with menthol sweets. I use a brown inhaler twice a day and I have an acute blue inhaler which I haven't had to use since I discovered Jakeman's menthol sweets. Just always keep it handy when I go out but yeah, never gets used. I feel as though the chances of it killing me are ridiculously low. Whereas the M.E., I have to work my whole life around it.
(edited 1 year ago)
If you think your disease is worse than my bromodosis, you’ve got another thing coming.
I’ve had 50X hospital admissions and 20 different drugs prescribed this year.
I think people are leading themselves to the wrong conclusion by trying to assume the incentive for the thread. I don’t have a disease/asthma but yea it is difficult to accurately predict someone’s reasoning for starting threads though it’s human nature too

Amphibian that sucks hope all is well currently
I think people are leading themselves to the wrong conclusion by trying to assume the incentive for the thread. I don’t have a disease/asthma but yea it is difficult to accurately predict someone’s reasoning for starting threads though it’s human nature too

It doesn’t just suck, it also smells :frown:
Original post by AmphibianONatrip
I’ve had 50X hospital admissions

With sweaty feet? Really?

The problem is, just labelling the "worst" one by whether or not it can kill you (asthma poses a very low risk of death when you consider how common it is), without taking into consideration the effect on the overall quality of one's life.

Quick Reply

Latest