Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by mamooshka)
    (Were the poppies significant because they had never grown in these fields before the war?).
    Poppies are significant because they grew amongst the devastation of WWI...and were imortalised in the poem In Flanders Field written by Colonel John McCrae

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    People like you make me sick..so you wish the war didn't happen?
    I'm sure most people wish the war didn't happen (although most accept that it did and respect the people who fought and died for any of the countries involved).

My great granddad was in WWI at the Somme. They were testing a new gas by blowing it out onto the battlefield as the Germans approached. It backfired and the gas blew back down into the trench. Most men died, but my great granddad survived. However, his brain was severely damaged and he was sent mad, and had very severe shellshock. The army took that to be a sign of weakness and he was sent home in disgrace. Thankfully they didn't shoot him though.

Another great granddad was in WWII. He was in a japanese P.O.W camp. He was a big a strong man who worked down the pits and played rugby but he returned weighing 4 1/2 stone. But again at least he survived.

ReputationRep:
    It shocks me how ignorant people still are about the two world wars and those which followed... someone I believe used the term "murderers"... it's thanks to those "murderers" that we aren't walking around, all with blond hair, blue eyes and shouting "Heil Hitler!!!" every time we pass somebody. :mad:

I went up the cenotaph this morning... I was pushed and shoved out of the way and given filthy looks by some older members of the public, like I had no right to be there.

I was quite shocked at how many people who were there hadn't managed to grasp the concept that we were all there to honour the dead of war and give thanks that we're all still "free" thanks to them - there was one family who'd bought their kid's scooter with them!!! Still, it was quite emotional actually being there instead of seeing it on the tv. I think I shall go again next year as well... but I'll try and go with my nan or something so I don't get given horrible looks - just because I wasn't born during the 40s doesn't mean I don't have a right to thank those who foguht for my right to be free!

ReputationRep:
    Should be about ALL of those people worldwide that have died for freedom. It should not just be for the British. (As many would not agree with what they did in Ireland, or Iraq, Afghanistan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    Should be about ALL of those people worldwide that have died for freedom. It should not just be for the British. (As many would not agree with what they did in Ireland, or Iraq, Afghanistan)
    I'm pretty sure that IS actually the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirot10)
    I don't honour murderers.
    :mad:
    To say something like that shows how ignorant you are.

ReputationRep:
    I will say it again, this day is to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians, it is NOT a day in which people should use to discuss if the wars were justified, legal or even needed. It doesn't matter where those people died, it is simply to honour them and give them the respect they deserve.

Many countries take part in this day and usually if they don't they will have a seperate day to remember the dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan70)
    I will say it again, this day is to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians, it is NOT a day in which people should use to discuss if the wars were justified, legal or even needed. It doesn't matter where those people died, it is simply to honour them and give them the respect they deserve.

Many countries take part in this day and usually if they don't they will have a seperate day to remember the dead.
    Does that include the German Nazis? because wheather we like it or not, they too believed they were fighting for something that was right. (even though we percieve it to be wrong)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    I'm pretty sure that IS actually the idea.
    It's not. It's just the British that died. Also, only countries that take part are the former colonies. (Commonwealth of Nations)

ReputationRep:
    Everybody wishes that neither of the two World Wars ever happened.

ReputationRep:
    I always feel guilty on the 11th of nov as it's my birthday and i've always been excited and jumping around, got some evil looks when I was younger - though I didn't understand why!

I don't think I lost anyone in the wars - but I respect the soliders greatly. I recently went to Prague and saw a concentration camp. I'm just glad soliders were around to help the Jews eventually escape - it was absolutely horrible!

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying world war one in english all year so have been somewhat desensitised to it I'm going to the the imperial war museum on tuesday though in the evening for this special rememberance event

ReputationRep:
    Can you all please keep on topic and not start being aggressive about stuff which really isn't relevant on a day like today?

ReputationRep:
    My maternal grandfather was a radar operator in Africa during WWII. He's still alive, I'm gonna see him next year.

ReputationRep:
    Does that include the German Nazis? because wheather we like it or not, they too believed they were fighting for something that was right. (even though we percieve it to be wrong)
    Britain commemorates the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians of its own people, surely nothing is stopping other countries from doing that same? And yes, they all do it.

And yes, of course the German deaths should be remembered, they were exactly the same as most of the other soldies in the war, they were fighting because the leading figures of their country told them to do so. And World War One did not involve nazi's, it only led to the rise of them.

All soldiers regardless of side, nation and religion should be remembered, it doesn't matter if its on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    :wtf?:

I for one am at a loss as to why most people believe (or seem to believe) that this day is just about soldiers. Surely a lot of the rememberance should also be directed toward the way of the millions of civvies who died.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.