Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    helloo

does anyone no what payment protection actually is??:confused:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is a means for banks to extract more money from their customers by supplying unwanted, unnecessary, expensive insurance that won't pay out when you need it due to the inordinate amount of exclusions.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...loan-insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boomm)
    helloo

does anyone no what payment protection actually is??:confused:
    thanks
    Payment protection for a Student is one that is not worth it. Only if you pay off the bill in full will it cost you nothing. It is insurance against loss of income. Income protection, per se, is a good thing to have however, amongst the major banks and providers, it can be very expensive and is still subject to a Competiition Commission report on it. As I said, in principal it is very good, in practice, it can be very expensive if you do not pay the balance in full.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It is a means for banks to extract more money from their customers by supplying unwanted, unnecessary, expensive insurance that won't pay out when you need it due to the inordinate amount of exclusions.

It is actually much more than that.

Say if some person loses his job / cant pay due to illness then he would be covered. This is what PPI does.

I think that it has been withdrawn however i am not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natweststaffmember)
    Payment protection for a Student is one that is not worth it. Only if you pay off the bill in full will it cost you nothing. It is insurance against loss of income. Income protection, per se, is a good thing to have however, amongst the major banks and providers, it can be very expensive and is still subject to a Competiition Commission report on it. As I said, in principal it is very good, in practice, it can be very expensive if you do not pay the balance in full.
    I wish everyone at Natwest understood this. When I phoned up to "activate" (its seems they only get you to do this for them to sell you stuff) my student credit card. They kept trying to sell me this insurance despite that fact that at the time I wasn't employed so it would have been of no use to me anyway as I had no job to lose. They wouldn't take no for an answer either and I had the woman pratically shouting at me saying "What would I do if I couldn't make the repayments", even when I kept telling her I was only using it for the protection it offers and not for borrowing so I will always the money to pay it off each month.

ReputationRep:
    Payment protection for a Student is one that is not worth it. Only if you pay off the bill in full will it cost you nothing.
    Card PPI usually only doesn't charge if the balance remains at 0 THROUGHOUT the statement month. And is charged based on the highest balance, regardless of whether you pay in full or not. So it will cost you as soon as you use the card, even if you paid it off when the statement arrived.

Flipshot, you are INELIGIBLE for card PPI as you are not in employment. The woman on the phone was misselling, as you couldn't make a claim even if you tried, which is unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Card PPI usually only doesn't charge if the balance remains at 0 THROUGHOUT the statement month. And is charged based on the highest balance, regardless of whether you pay in full or not. So it will cost you as soon as you use the card, even if you paid it off when the statement arrived.

Flipshot, you are INELIGIBLE for card PPI as you are not in employment. The woman on the phone was misselling, as you couldn't make a claim even if you tried, which is unacceptable.
    What am I thinking about Talya with natwest, 79p per £100 spent? My understanding was that paying the balance in full ie taking it down to zero by the statement meant that they would pay £0 for it. Am I thinking of a different product that we offer?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be very sensible for a bank to offer PPI for free to everyone who paid off their card in full every month - as the only time they'd ever end up with a balance at the end of the month is when they lose their job and claim on the PPI!

ReputationRep:
    What am I thinking about Talya with natwest, 79p per £100 spent? My understanding was that paying the balance in full ie taking it down to zero by the statement meant that they would pay £0 for it. Am I thinking of a different product that we offer?
    The charge is based on the highest balance throughout the statement month, regardless of any subsequent repayment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.