The Student Room Group

Don't know if I should put in for a PGCE

I'm 31 and I got fired from a new job recently. I did some PR work last year and I loved it. I got a new PR job this year but I got fired on the fourth day cos they said my IT skills weren't up to scratch and they wanted someone who knew what they were doing cos they didn't have time to train someone

I'm thinking about looking at applying for pgce as I have an MA in English literature. I was good at the subject and school and got a top A and was in gifted and talented.

I'm worried about applying because obviously lots of people say lots of bad things about teaching. Lots of people say its so stressful, they hate it... Also I'm 31 and single, (I'm a girl) I was hopeful that I'd hopefully meet someone and settle down and get married in the next few years. I worry if I get stuck into teaching I'll be busy for the next 3-4 years - how will I have time to go dating and crack on with that part of my life? then I'll just be 35 and single! also I have PCOS and I struggle with my weight. I lost a stone and a half this year after covid. I worry about doing the PGCE and getting stressed and eating too much and not having time to go to the gym.

please help
Original post by stickylikehoney
I'm 31 and I got fired from a new job recently. I did some PR work last year and I loved it. I got a new PR job this year but I got fired on the fourth day cos they said my IT skills weren't up to scratch and they wanted someone who knew what they were doing cos they didn't have time to train someone

I'm thinking about looking at applying for pgce as I have an MA in English literature. I was good at the subject and school and got a top A and was in gifted and talented.

I'm worried about applying because obviously lots of people say lots of bad things about teaching. Lots of people say its so stressful, they hate it... Also I'm 31 and single, (I'm a girl) I was hopeful that I'd hopefully meet someone and settle down and get married in the next few years. I worry if I get stuck into teaching I'll be busy for the next 3-4 years - how will I have time to go dating and crack on with that part of my life? then I'll just be 35 and single! also I have PCOS and I struggle with my weight. I lost a stone and a half this year after covid. I worry about doing the PGCE and getting stressed and eating too much and not having time to go to the gym.

please help

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about your job loss - @Muttley79 may be able to help with your query. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

please help

There is some IT needed in teaching. Are you confident with WORD, Powerpoint [or willing to learn]? Have you got any classroom experience or could you get some by volunteering?

What have you got to lose by doing a PGCE with QTS? Some of my colleagyes met their partners at work ...

Pick a good school with a department that shares resources and has schemes of work in place ... I love the job 98% of the time.
Original post by Muttley79
There is some IT needed in teaching. Are you confident with WORD, Powerpoint [or willing to learn]? Have you got any classroom experience or could you get some by volunteering?

What have you got to lose by doing a PGCE with QTS? Some of my colleagyes met their partners at work ...

Pick a good school with a department that shares resources and has schemes of work in place ... I love the job 98% of the time.

did you have a social life during PGCE?
Yes - used to visit my fiance some weekends - a proper PGCE has blocks of teaching [and you don't have a full timetable] so some of the course is just like a degree with lectures/assignments.
did you have a social life during PGCE?
Yes - used to visit my fiance some weekends - a proper PGCE has blocks of teaching [and you don't have a full timetable] so some of the course is just like a degree with lectures/assignments.

do you think people exaggerate how stressful it is? cos some people are like its non-stop
do you think people exaggerate how stressful it is? cos some people are like its non-stop

I think some people expect teaching to be easy - 'open a book get on with it' style. Courses where you are chucked into the classroom from day one may be worse that's why I don't recommend them. If you are organised and build up resources - there's so much free online now as well - you can cut down on planning time. Teaching practice will be busier but use the teachers to help you - when a student teaches one of my classes I want them to do well and will share stuff and they can talk to me about their plan.
I think some people expect teaching to be easy - 'open a book get on with it' style. Courses where you are chucked into the classroom from day one may be worse that's why I don't recommend them. If you are organised and build up resources - there's so much free online now as well - you can cut down on planning time. Teaching practice will be busier but use the teachers to help you - when a student teaches one of my classes I want them to do well and will share stuff and they can talk to me about their plan.

Also, all jobs are stressful not just teaching.

Will I have time to go to the gym during the pgce?
Will I have time to go to the gym during the pgce?

Yes ... when you on teaching practice some schools even have a fitness suite staff can use.
Yes ... when you on teaching practice some schools even have a fitness suite staff can use.

Do you think I'll have time to go dating?
Do you think I'll have time to go dating?

bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending