Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think it entirely depends on the person... Some people just know and others are clueless... I know what course I would enjoy doing, but I don't know about a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adalia)
    and what about the people that wanna study everything - and have to choose between say 3 or 4 passions that they could see themselves doing for the rest of their lives equally well?
    i wouldnt say they were too young or immature, but that they need more time to decide what exactly they want to study (why the scottish uni system is very helpful - it gives you an extra two years to decide as long as you study up to three possible subjects during the first two years of uni) and that gap years can be very useful for them

ReputationRep:
    I think it is particularly difficult for people who enjoy a wide range of subjects and would be willing to do a variety of courses.

Are teens too young to select options for GCSE? And A levels as well? (Since those also ultimately limit your options).

ReputationRep:
    medicine is the one which i think you have to know when you're 16, let alone 18, which really sucks. in america they have a different systme, which i feel is alot better.

ReputationRep:
    Wierdly I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I was 17, then a few weeks after my 18th birthday I suddenly started to doubt it... Now I have no idea so I am just carrying on with my original plan and hoping it is a phase, so i don't think it is anything to do with age, just how we change our minds over time.

ReputationRep:
    I had no clue what I wanted to do. Truthfully I still have no clue what subject I want to do even though I'm at university. Not everybody has a blinding passion for academia unfortunately. Interest, perhaps...

That certainly sounds bad.

ReputationRep:
    I probably knew which degree course I wanted to do when I was sixteen.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    When I was 18 I didn't have a clue. So I took 2 years out, and now at the age of 20, I'm pretty certain about what I want to do in my life.

Gap year was the best decision of my life so far :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've had a rough idea of what I've wanted to do since I was 16, after looking more into it at college and looking at realistic grades I'm going to get, I've changed slightly what I was going to apply for, but it's still in the same field. Personally, I think it depends on the person, I'm only so set on what I want to do because work has influenced me and helped me grow up a bit, I know a lot of people in college who haven't really researched into what they wanna do, and might not really be making an informed decision. But, everyone is different, and I guess sometimes don't get it right first time. But I suppose that's why gap years are there, so people have the time to make a proper decision.

ReputationRep:
    well you don't HAVE to choose when you're 18...you can choose whenever you want to do a degree, just 18 is the minimum age.

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit silly and didn't choose very good 'A' Level subjects. Due to this I ended up not reaching the grades and going to university because I felt I had to, after applying and everything. I should have taken a gap year but I just wanted to go to university at that point. Turned out I really disliked the university and was on a course I had never seen myself doing. Luckily now I've sorted it out and am at a different university on a course I'm enjoying loads, just wish I didn't have all that debt from last year!
    So yeah, for me, 18 was too young.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your choice of degree is that important, as long as it's something you can be passionate about or even just tolerate for three/four years. The only careers which need a certain degree are those where, if you don't know you really want to do it by the time you leave school, you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiki.J)
    I'm 15 and our guidance teachers have already told us to pick which university courses we want to go into and I've already narrowed it down to one course at 2 different universities... I can't see how it's that hard for 18 year olds
    You don't realise how much you grow up between the ages of 15-19, everything can change. I bet most of your class mates won't stick to those choices in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    Some are, some aren't. It varies from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiki.J)
    I'm 15 and our guidance teachers have already told us to pick which university courses we want to go into and I've already narrowed it down to one course at 2 different universities... I can't see how it's that hard for 18 year olds
    Are you joking? Are you honestly saying you cannot see how some people struggle to decide on a course? If so I find that incredible.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mind choosing a degree course at 17 but what irks me is the fact that I basically had to choose what I wanted to do with my life at 13. I tried to pick Standard Grade subjects that would leave my 'options open' but I still think it was too early to have to make that kind of decision. I enjoy my course most of the time but I still occasionally have 2nd thoughts about it and I don't know exactly what I want to do as a career yet. Then again I've always believed 'the grass is always greener on the other side'.

ReputationRep:
    We all make a hell of a lot of mistakes in our youth. What bothers me is the number of ridiculous assessments and ranking systems for young people - youth should be a time for learning and developing, not being rated and classified.

ReputationRep:
    I like the American system, where you major and minor.

I don't think that, aged 18, you're too young to pick a degree course, but you can very easily cut out a lot of options depending on what degree you do, and at that age not be aware of the consequences of such a decision.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so at all. I've been making 'important' life decisions since I was eight, and knew what course I wanted to do at university when I was fifteen. Of course, everyone's different, but as anna_spanner89 said, 18 is just the minimum age.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.