Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't thnk I could ever shop there, it's too 'European' for my liking and seems to be purely the preserve of the poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    If I wanted German biscuits I'd go to GERMANY.
    Do you go to China every time you want Chinese food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    It was the same when I was at school (cheshire). If you went to school with an aldi/lidl/asda/tesco/safeway bag you got laughed at and teased. Sainsburys was the only acceptable bag to have (as there was no waitrose nearby!).

Sounds like a pretty posh school. Where I live, there are no sainsburys, poshest supermarket is morrisons. But the best supermarket is lidl.

ReputationRep:
    LIDL are selling real ale at £1 a bottle..... happy christmas dad!

incidently, do people pronounce it LID-l or LY-dl?

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger and at school I'd only carry 'cool' bags to carry my PE kit around in, used to get teased for it otherwise. Now I've grown up and shop there all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    Sounds like a pretty posh school. Where I live, there are no sainsburys, poshest supermarket is morrisons. But the best supermarket is lidl.
    It wasn't posh at all- it was a comp. Most people were farmers' sons and daughters, with a few people expelled from the Whitchurch schools thrown in. Not sure where all the supermarket snobbery came from to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireHogben)
    LIDL are selling real ale at £1 a bottle..... happy christmas dad!

LID-l

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly carry around the bags, but I don't see the big deal. My family shops at Aldi and Lidl alongside Marks and Spencers and Waitrose. I genuinely prefer a lot of Aldi/Lidl goods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullyTragic)
    LID-l
    me too. but my dad insists thats wrong and on the continent its called ly-dl

(Original post by HJV)
    Do you go to China every time you want Chinese food?
    No, I go to the local Chinese takeaway because we get half price there :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Ive never gone in either of them! Aldi sounds and looks more like a car supply shop than a supermarket. At school they used to make fun of netto but never those.

ReputationRep:
    me too. but my dad insists thats wrong and on the continent its called ly-dl
    I've always pronounced the company Nestle 'Nest-lay' but my nan says 'Ness-alls,' as they do in other countries I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    No, I go to the local Chinese takeaway because we get half price there :proud:
    You've just proved our points lol, go to Aldi because the food's so much cheaper than everywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    People think that quality and price are directly proportional. In some cases, this may be true, but in Lidl's case, it certainly is not.
    Pretty much

I'm excited when I make my way to Lidl, plastic bags stuffed in my pockets. 'Cause their oven-ready lasagne is unbeatable. Their game is great too (they had ostrich steaks from South Africa in season, at a ridiculous 4.99 for two! :love:). I like the foreign German things. I don't like staring at the carton for ages looking for English instructions, though!

I don't like any other supermarket at all (aldi included). Except maybe Sainsbury's, but I'd still rather go to Lidl.

I was ashamed when I was younger but I don't really care anymore. Also, the whole country is going into a recession so, Lidl should become everyone's friend :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullyTragic)
    I've always pronounced the company Nestle 'Nest-lay' but my nan says 'Ness-alls,' as they do in other countries I think.
    I've never heard anyone say Nestle like that...not in france, spain, peru nor norway (the places where I have heard the word spoken!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    I don't thnk I could ever shop there, it's too 'European' for my liking and seems to be purely the preserve of the poor.
    European? They sell the same stuff as Tesco and Asda just in different packaging and slightly cheaper.
    And it's not the preserve of the poor - you'll find a very wide range of people in there if you bothered to look.
    If my nearest Lidl wasn't 4 miles away - and I don't have a car - I'd do most of my shopping there.

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to ask. I've been 'bashed' so to speak for saying LY-dl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menagerie)
    I was just about to ask. I've been 'bashed' so to speak for saying LY-dl.
    LID-L. It sounds right to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    The beauty of the free market my friend.

But anyway, most ALDI/LIDLphobes in my area used to be aged around fourteen or under, and pick on other children for the sake of it.
    Lol.
    Yes now that I think of it shopping at LIDL was disgraceful back in primary.
    Noone cares so much now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    European? They sell the same stuff as Tesco and Asda just in different packaging and slightly cheaper.
    And it's not the preserve of the poor - you'll find a very wide range of people in there if you bothered to look.
    If my nearest Lidl wasn't 4 miles away - and I don't have a car - I'd do most of my shopping there.
    It's been quite a few years since I went to Aldi/Lidl, but most of the stuff I saw then was no name / foreign stuff.

Each to their own I guess, I don't think I'd think any less of people who do shop there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.