The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, from a German point of view... first off, I'm actually surprised, I wasn't aware of the fact that there are LIDL and ALDI supermarkets in Britain. :wink: wow
I remember that when I was younger (probably 6 years ago), there was ALDI/LIDL 'bashing', especially if you bought jeans, shirts and trainers there. By now, it's absolutely fine to have food/beverage from ALDI with you (esp. snacks).

Oh, and for the record?! It's pronounced "Leedl" (like 'needle').
Reply 41
menagerie
I was just about to ask. I've been 'bashed' so to speak for saying LY-dl.

Ok: LiDL or LeDL?

I say Liddle, my girlfriend says leedle.
Reply 42
Student2806
European? They sell the same stuff as Tesco and Asda just in different packaging and slightly cheaper.
And it's not the preserve of the poor - you'll find a very wide range of people in there if you bothered to look.
If my nearest Lidl wasn't 4 miles away - and I don't have a car - I'd do most of my shopping there.

:ditto:

Leedle? Thats grounds for dumping surely?
ashy
Ok: LiDL or LeDL?

I say Liddle, my girlfriend says leedle.

Leedle :smile:
Reply 44
whitepearlbaby
Leedle :smile:

Bugger :p:
ashy
Bugger :p:

Girls are always right :cool:
Reply 46
"Lid-el"

I think both shops are fantastic!

But they are not "brands" either, which is why you're getting mocked OP. Sad as it sounds, try picking more upmarket brands to associate yourself with. Even if most sane people couldn't give a **** - there's a minority of twerps who do and will take the piss over it. Either ignore them or just give in and use a brand they approve of.
SovietRussiaFH
It's been quite a few years since I went to Aldi/Lidl, but most of the stuff I saw then was no name / foreign stuff.

Each to their own I guess, I don't think I'd think any less of people who do shop there.

Hey, I'm not criticising you for not shopping there - it's a free world :biggrin:
Before people start bashing Aldi/Lidl for being nameless foreign stuff, remember that the supermarkets' own brand products could have been made in the same place - the only reason you buy it is because its got a logo plastered on the side.
Reply 48
Haha when i was in Year 11 loads of people who thought they were cool always planned visits down there at times in the school day. Was quite funny. When i was in Year 9 people bashed it, now i would say no now i'm in first year of college.
Reply 49
whitepearlbaby
Girls are always right :cool:

Not sure I can argue.
Reply 50
ALDI on Market Street, Manchester. Any good?

how about ALDI generally, should I go there tomorrow? I mean I'v got an ASDA superstore just down the road and it can't be much cheaper than that, right??
Virtually everything in my house comes from Asda, simply because my mum works there so we get 10% discount :smile:

There is a Lidl within walking distance though, and we get the odd bits and bobs from there occasionally. You can't notice the difference if you can't see the packaging.
I love aldi, I've got one close to my house. I always pop in for some lovely cheap chocolate. Yum.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kBcm-ls8Y

for everyone who still doesn't know how to pronounce lidl.
Reply 54
LOVE LIDL, some of the stuff there is to die for. Especially like the snacks, chocolate etc. (Snacky Cracky bread rings=mmmmmmmm) Plus its cheap, win win. Aldi's good too.

Unfortunately theres no lidl near me and the nearest Aldi is miles away so Sainsburys is the closest. :frown: Admittedly, I was raised in a very Netto-phobic area so I do have some negative opinions (sorry).
Reply 55
Year 7 - 9 = LIDL = Poor/scrounge/poor
10, 11, 6th form = LIDL is AMAZING!!!
Reply 56
Personally I prefer Sainsburys
I don't like a lot of the stuff in aldi etc. (probably aren't used to it) but I'll get a few things there. Trying to do a proper shop in there would annoy me though - everything is just randomly dumped around the store.
Reply 58
I've only been to Aldi or Lidl a couple of times. I went to an Aldi in Germany and ... my god it was the scariest experience I've ever had in a supermarket: Hyperactive scanning + not understanding anything that was being said + being confused at having to pay for carrier bags = bedlam. Still, I love em and wish there was one close to uni.
Reply 59
I don't like Lidl, mainly because the one in my hometown is absolutely terrible, and appears to be the local chav-skateboarder hang out. I'm happy to shop in Aldi, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending