Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the deal is with cancelling pre-booked train tickets? Can I get any of the money back from National Express? I will be calling them up later in the week, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and whether they got money back

ReputationRep:
    Normally you will get back most of your money sans a ~£10 administrative fee, as long as you give them enough notice, this can vary from 48 hours to even a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Normally you will get back most of your money sans a ~£10 administrative fee, as long as you give them enough notice, this can vary from 48 hours to even a week.
    This. In the past, I've had to return my tickets as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked online and it says my ticket type arent eligible for refunds Im guessing it's because I booked Advance tickets? What a load of horse ****. Should I still bother calling them. Its not like they were that much cheaper than the standard tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miki_da_magpie)
    Just checked online and it says my ticket type arent eligible for refunds Im guessing it's because I booked Advance tickets? What a load of horse ****. Should I still bother calling them. Its not like they were that much cheaper than the standard tickets.
    I would.

I was at King's Cross last Friday at about 5pm, going back to my parents' house, and I had an off-peak ticket. I asked the blokes around the ticket barriers about ticket validity and they told me I had to wait until after 7pm.

I wasn't entirely convinced, so I went to the main concourse where everyone hangs around in front of the departure board. I asked the NX information desk, who told me that I in fact could travel on the next train.

IMO, you should always get a second opinion.

ReputationRep:
    If its anything like the funfare ticket on the coaches, which it sounds like it could be, their view on them is that you get what you pay for in terms of flexibility - virtually nothing. I doubt you'll get anywhere because you agreed to no refunds being available in the first place, though there is no harm in calling i guess (well apart from costing you money no doubt!), the worst they can say is no.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, when you booked you accepted the terms and conditions of the sale. One of them being that advance singles are non-refundable. If it's for travel on National Express, you won't get your money back at all. You can still have the date of travel changed for a fee of course. Or you could give or sell the ticket to someone else (although that is technically illegal, not that anyone minds). But you will get no refund.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    I was at King's Cross last Friday at about 5pm, going back to my parents' house, and I had an off-peak ticket. I asked the blokes around the ticket barriers about ticket validity and they told me I had to wait until after 7pm.
    Really? I wouldn't have boarded with an off peak at that sort of time for fear of being asked to buy a new ticket. Generally you'll be hard pushed to use an off peak between about 4-7 leaving any London station in my experience. The one exception being Euston with Virgin where if you hold a railcard you are exempt for the offpeak exemptions.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a load of horse **** at all. That's the risk you take with Advance fares. There have to be stringent terms and conditions for them to be so cheap, and as such, they're non-refundable, so if your plans change you either buy a completely new ticket or get the time changed, for a fee. It's the same if you miss your pre-booked train and it's not a fault of the railways (traffic jams, Tube breaking down etc). Again, if you miss your train you'll have to buy a new ticket, but if you're late because it's a connecting train and the connection is late, you'll be able to get a "permit to travel" for the next available service. Again, that's the risk you take.

ReputationRep:
    Im not talking last minute here. You can still buy advance tickets for that train, its three weeks ago. Fair enough if I couldnt get a refund or cancel the tickets if it was this weekend or something, but i'm talking 4 weeks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Im not talking last minute here. You can still buy advance tickets for that train, its three weeks ago. Fair enough if I couldnt get a refund or cancel the tickets if it was this weekend or something, but i'm talking 4 weeks in advance!
    Unfortunately thats the way it is! Low cost tickets for trains, planes and coaches are all really stringent when it comes to T&Cs - its a nice and easy revenue source for the operator as peoples situations change all the time. They aren't stupid, they know that when they sell it to you a long time in advance!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.