The Student Room Group

Do students change programmes/ withdraw in the 1st semester?

In countries such as USA, Australia, it is quite common for one to withdraw during the first few months, or change programmes after studying for 1 year. Does this happen quite regularly in the UK?
i don't think its as common here compared to usa or australia. i think you can change course from the first two weeks at university but after that I think its pretty difficult, or you will have to restart the following year.
Original post by Anonymous
In countries such as USA, Australia, it is quite common for one to withdraw during the first few months, or change programmes after studying for 1 year. Does this happen quite regularly in the UK?

Hi!

I don't think it's as common as what is over in the US, from speaking to students from there. However, there are a small handful from each year who decide to change their career path etc. and take another course or decide to not focus on university studies.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
I don't think it's common because it depends to the school procedure or process
Original post by Anonymous

I don't know about the Australian system, but my understanding is that the US system is very different to what we have in the UK.

In the UK you apply to do a specific programme.

It is sometimes possible to switch to another programme within the first couple of weeks (though we are talking about literally two weeks) providing you have the right qualifications, and that there is a space available on the programme you want to transfer to. But you cannot and should not rely on being allowed to change. Do not start on a programme that you don't intend to complete!

Don't ever think that "I can apply to go to university X to do some-course-I'm-not-really-interested-in, and then change to my-dream-course-that's-really-competitive once I get there".

If you do want to change, you might get told that you'll need to formally withdraw from your existing programme and re-apply for admission the following academic year (with no guarantees).

In some cases people do complete their first year and then apply to do a different course (starting the new course from the first year). At some universities (and for some courses) successful completion of that first year would carry an exit award (typically a Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)),

Quick Reply

Latest