What is the definition of alternating potential difference?

Watch this thread
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
GCSE physcis
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
any situation where the pd between conductors changes between positive and negative repeatedly over time.

So its different from DC where one conductor is always more positive than the other.

The most usual frequency for AC power is 50Hz in the UK though it could be 60Hz in some other countries. Aircraft sometimes run on 300Hz power afaik and theres some electrified railways running at 16Hz
James20482
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Alternating vs direct potential differences explain the type of current they lead to, alternating and direct currents respectively. An alternating current changes direction constantly, which means that the current in the wire will flow in one direction and then decide to reverse and flow in the other direction instead. The current is constantly alternating between positive and negative. The difference between that and a direct current is that a direct current does not change which simply means it never reverses.

All exam boards will accept the following answer on an exam:
"Flow of electric charge that periodically reverses over time"
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (31)
27.68%
Take a gap year (17)
15.18%
Resit my exams (30)
26.79%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.18%
I don't know yet (12)
10.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.46%

Watched Threads