The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish or Geography

I enjoy both but find Spanish slightly easier, and I'm not sure if I enjoy Geography just because of the teacher I have currently. I'm taking RE and triple science too, but have no clue what to take and I seriously can't decide. Which is better/easier from past experience? I'm not good with decisions.
(edited 1 year ago)
I enjoy geography. Languages suck
tbf U cant be sure youll get the same teacher
just choose the subject u prefer imo
Yeah what the above person said. You don't even know if you'll get the same teacher, and not doing a subject because of a certain teacher is unfair to yourself.
In my school, we had to do a language and a humanities subject, so unfortunately for me, I couldn't choose not to do a language.
I do Geography and I love it. It's super easy, but there's several case studies you need to learn and then a tonne of specific facts for each case study.
I don't know about Spanish because I don't do it.
Do whatever subject you actually enjoy and would do better in, leaving what teacher teaches it out of your decision. Look at your school's prospectus/curriculum and see what you get taught in each subject in Year 10 and Year 11 and talk with your teachers.
Best of luck!
what you enjoy should be your key factor in choosing. finding something easy comes from the effort you put in, which is easier with an enjoyable subject.

Try think about the future too, especially if you want to do A-Levels. A-Level Spanish/Geography open different doors
Original post by madzzzzina
Yeah what the above person said. You don't even know if you'll get the same teacher, and not doing a subject because of a certain teacher is unfair to yourself.
In my school, we had to do a language and a humanities subject, so unfortunately for me, I couldn't choose not to do a language.
I do Geography and I love it. It's super easy, but there's several case studies you need to learn and then a tonne of specific facts for each case study.
I don't know about Spanish because I don't do it.
Do whatever subject you actually enjoy and would do better in, leaving what teacher teaches it out of your decision. Look at your school's prospectus/curriculum and see what you get taught in each subject in Year 10 and Year 11 and talk with your teachers.
Best of luck!

You have to know a lot of specific facts for the case studies. But spanish is a language. You need to know a lot of vocab. Can't get more specific than that. Both require a good memory it just comes down to which is easier and more enjoyable to do and remember facts/vocab for.
geography is easier to do well in
Reply 7
Original post by ne3v3
I enjoy both but find Spanish slightly easier, and I'm not sure if I enjoy Geography just because of the teacher I have currently. I'm taking RE and triple science too, but have no clue what to take and I seriously can't decide. Which is better/easier from past experience? I'm not good with decisions.

I do both and I love Spanish- I’m also going to choose it for A level. I prefer Spanish and there’s a lot of memorising involved in both but geography is probably a little easier for most people and you’ll have to put lots of your own effort in spanish at home. Just do what you enjoy because revising is easier when it’s a subject you enjoy. Don’t choose something because of a teacher but because you find the subject interesting.
geog is so much better.
i was showing a geog past paper to some of my fellow history companions and they said that half of the paper seems as though it is common sense (which i agree with!!)
Spanish is better coz it's just more interesting geography is soooo bad like in the sense that it's really boring. But it is easier IMO.
(edited 1 year ago)
hi! im a year 11 who takes geography and French at GCSE (I know its French not Spanish but all the exams, techniques etc are the same) Throughout the last 2 years I have found geography 10x easier. I know this is personal opinion but languages are a lot of work and they can be really challenging at times and pretty boring compared to languages in year 7-9. However geography I find really interesting and its quite easy to gain marks as long as you know your case studies. I would also take into consideration the speaking exam you will need to do as part of a language GCSE as they can seem quite daunting at times! Also in my opinion the jump from KS3 to GCSE was significantly big in terms of the difficulty for languages so I would take that into account!

I hope this helps!
Original post by ne3v3
i would say spanish tbh, if ur good at it u should take it, having a gcse in spanish looks rlly good on applications
Did both, would recommend geography!
There's pros and cons to each tho I'm gonna try to outline:
1) the exams - the main difference really is that you have orals in Spanish, you might like that if you want to get some stuff done and over with before all your written exams start, but if you tend to get nervous then geography would be nicer because you can just learn the case studies and waffle through the rest lmao
2) the trips/extracurricular - 10x better in Spanish unless you love measuring rivers and rocks
3) future prospects - so in my experience most people who did geography GCSE also continued it at a-level, and quite a few also think of doing it at uni. Lots of people drop languages at a-level. Idk what that says for you but maybe geography is more useful??
Reply 13
Original post by KatieMcF
hi! im a year 11 who takes geography and French at GCSE (I know its French not Spanish but all the exams, techniques etc are the same) Throughout the last 2 years I have found geography 10x easier. I know this is personal opinion but languages are a lot of work and they can be really challenging at times and pretty boring compared to languages in year 7-9. However geography I find really interesting and its quite easy to gain marks as long as you know your case studies. I would also take into consideration the speaking exam you will need to do as part of a language GCSE as they can seem quite daunting at times! Also in my opinion the jump from KS3 to GCSE was significantly big in terms of the difficulty for languages so I would take that into account!

I hope this helps!

Thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by olivier_
Did both, would recommend geography!
There's pros and cons to each tho I'm gonna try to outline:
1) the exams - the main difference really is that you have orals in Spanish, you might like that if you want to get some stuff done and over with before all your written exams start, but if you tend to get nervous then geography would be nicer because you can just learn the case studies and waffle through the rest lmao
2) the trips/extracurricular - 10x better in Spanish unless you love measuring rivers and rocks
3) future prospects - so in my experience most people who did geography GCSE also continued it at a-level, and quite a few also think of doing it at uni. Lots of people drop languages at a-level. Idk what that says for you but maybe geography is more useful??

Thank you! This is really helpful, honestly it's probably down to a matter of which I enjoy/find easier as I wont be taking either for A-Level as I want to go into medicine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest