The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Changing courses

Hi,

I’m in a bit of predicament.

I have a place at Southampton to study this year for AAB (accounting and finance)

I believe I may want to change this course to law which is AAA. The admissions team told me to attempt to change my course my going through clearing if I meet law offer.

If I do so, will I lose my already confirmed accommodation at Southampton? Even though I’m just switching courses not unis? And what other hoops will I have to jump through on the day?

Alongside this, may I ask if clearing grade requirements are usually any lower and if anybody knows if Southampton law usually go into clearing?

Thanks!
Original post by anonymous_new

If I do so, will I lose my already confirmed accommodation at Southampton?
Even though I’m just switching courses not unis?

Only Southamlton can answer this question - just email the accomodation office and ask.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Are you qualified for contextual admissions? They typically lower the grade boundaries by 1 if you do. So you could probably get in with AAB
Law will not have lower grade requirements in Clearing - its a prestige course* - and btw, usually contextual offers dont apply for Clearing.
*No RG Uni will want to have Law in Clearing so I would be very surpised if its even in Clearing
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous_new
Hi,

I’m in a bit of predicament.

I have a place at Southampton to study this year for AAB (accounting and finance)

I believe I may want to change this course to law which is AAA. The admissions team told me to attempt to change my course my going through clearing if I meet law offer.

If I do so, will I lose my already confirmed accommodation at Southampton? Even though I’m just switching courses not unis? And what other hoops will I have to jump through on the day?

Alongside this, may I ask if clearing grade requirements are usually any lower and if anybody knows if Southampton law usually go into clearing?

Thanks!

In the same situation here, I have an offer for law at Uni of Notts but want to do economics, it requires a higher maths and English grade. (Capped at 5 in secondary school). I called admissions but they said there’s no wiggle room, was told my a teacher that I may be able to move when I’m in.
Reply 5
Original post by Ag1311
In the same situation here, I have an offer for law at Uni of Notts but want to do economics, it requires a higher maths and English grade. (Capped at 5 in secondary school). I called admissions but they said there’s no wiggle room, was told my a teacher that I may be able to move when I’m in.

*Not in the same situation, did not read this properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending