The Student Room Group

What matters more Subject rank of the University or the Overall Ranking?

I am currently planning to study MSc Strategic marketing at Cranfield University. While the course is ranked 15th globally and 3rd in the UK based on employment according to the Qs ranking for the subject. The overall ranking of the University is 700+ . As an international student should I think about enrolling myself there or choose a university with a better overall ranking instead? I'm really confused :frown:
Reply 1
Well the short answer is, it depends. A 1st in Strategic marketing from Cranfield will look better than a 3rd from LSE or some other top uni. However, what you should be aware of is that it will not be a target uni for many of the big companies and so they may value the degree less. Overall though, pick the masters that you are most interested in and where you feel you will enjoy it the most. That way, you will do your best.
Original post by Sanarah
I am currently planning to study MSc Strategic marketing at Cranfield University. While the course is ranked 15th globally and 3rd in the UK based on employment according to the Qs ranking for the subject. The overall ranking of the University is 700+ . As an international student should I think about enrolling myself there or choose a university with a better overall ranking instead? I'm really confused :frown:

Cranfield is a niche university with expertise in a small number of areas, and is postgraduate only... its very reputable, but because of its uniquness not well known and has less volume so it will never really be seen on the large whole institution rankings.

Generally id say the international subject rankings can give a loose ball park but none of them are a really good yard stick, and not worth using to evaluate reputation.
Original post by Sanarah

Hi Sanarah

Congratulations on getting an offer for a great course!

As has been said already in this thread, Cranfield is a bit different to most other universities because it is postgraduate-only, which particularly makes rankings difficult (as they are typically based on undergraduate performances).

Ranking can be one factor in deciding where to study, and for many it is very important. Typically this is because it gives employers a good impression of your education, that it is tailored to the best current industry practices and will best prepare you for your future career. These are top priorities for Cranfield, which are addressed in many ways.

The Cranfield course is designed to give you the most up-to-date knowledge and skills, as decided by senior marketing practitioners. This Practice Advisory Board is made up of leading figures from the world of marketing.

The course also includes master classes with major industry partners, and having these future employers involved in the course both improves your experience and demonstrates to the employer that the course includes the top-quality educators, and the most novel and relevant skills and knowledge.

You can also have the chance to engage with an external business client, another possible future employer and powerful reference, during your marketing consultancy project.

As another assurance of the quality of your Cranfield education, Strategic Marketing MSc is a Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Graduate Gateway accredited degree. This means that during your study, you can also achieve CIM’s professional marketing qualifications, supported by the world-class academics here. It is also accredited by the Market Research Society (MRS), which is a rare mark of excellence, and further awards you the opportunity to works towards becoming eligible to join the Market Research Society after graduation.

As many people here have said, it is still a personal choice, and many factors beyond ranking will probably come into play, but I hope I could help reassure you that the relationships you can build with employers while at Cranfield are nearly unlimited!

Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Generally subject ranking should be priority. There are some fairly average courses at "big-name" universities and conversely some universities are known for excelling at a few specific subjects but don't stand out for the rest.

If you are planning on working abroad it might matter more than working in the UK, in this case you might want to compare with the international subject rankings to get a rough idea. (though it can never quite capture the intuition of what the best place for a subject is, indeed it'll vary person to person)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sanarah
I am currently planning to study MSc Strategic marketing at Cranfield University. While the course is ranked 15th globally and 3rd in the UK based on employment according to the Qs ranking for the subject. The overall ranking of the University is 700+ . As an international student should I think about enrolling myself there or choose a university with a better overall ranking instead? I'm really conf

As much as I know, QS rankings are not as reputed as FT rankings. Also, QS rankings are not based on graduate employment outcomes alone (like most other ranking systems) - read their methodology. While FT does not rank all courses, the overall reputation of the Business school reflects in the FT MBA ranking. Any school in the Top 75 worldwide in FT ranking is considered very reputable. I think Cranfield used to be a part of that list but no longer is (as of 2022). Given everything, Cranfield is a decent school, not the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending