The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs Imperial for Maths?

Any suggestions?
Do you have offers from both?
Original post by PQ
Do you have offers from both?

good question! :smile:
short answer? no.
BUT i am applying this year and i am pretty sure that i will get offers from both.
in case you're wondering, i am predicted 5 a*s in maths, further maths, physics and computer science AND English Literature.
and most importantly, I got solid 10 9s in GCSEs.
so now would you kindly ANSWER my question please? :confused:
Original post by ilovespaghetti
short answer? no.
BUT i am applying this year and i am pretty sure that i will get offers from both.
in case you're wondering, i am predicted 5 a*s in maths, further maths, physics and computer science AND English Literature.

How do you want to be taught? In what type of environment do you want to live and study?
I know that the Imperial course is challenging but I've heard from a few people that the 4th year is considered a bit weak with a lot of options just being 3rd year options with additional topics. This is a consideration to make, though you can graduate with the bachelors and go elsewhere for the masters. (there are funding implications) You would be stretched at both, though, and compared to other courses they would both be very strong choices. Agreed with above that studying environment will be a lot different and should form part of your consideration.

It's good you're enthusiastic but these are two of the only maths courses that are genuinely competitive and there is a non-trivial chance you will get rejected by one or both even with your good GCSE performance and A-level performance. Cambridge would be more happy to take on someone with "just" A*A*A but stuns at interview (people have got offers with A*AA before and on the other hand [probably a lot more commonly] people with straight A*s have been weak at interview) than someone with straight A*s that can't solve the interview problems. Obviously on results day with near misses, STEP is the primary consideration with A-levels being far less important.

Obviously biased here but consider Warwick too. You would be unlikely to be rejected by them and the course measures up well against Cambridge/Imperial/Oxford. (hence COWI)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ilovespaghetti
short answer? no.

Whichever you prefer and think you’ll thrive in after visiting them and getting offers.
You have FIVE UCAS choices.

Ideally your choices should look like this :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades (one grade and not in a required subject)
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

Not only will you be likely to get more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year. If you have no 'lower' offers at that stage you have no fall-back choice to ensure you still have a uni place if things don't go to plan in August - and the reality of your 2nd A level year may make you realise your originally aimed too high and if you have picked 5 high grade choices you are then heading for disaster in August. Always pick a range of different Unis.

More useful advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest